What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney waits on rubber stamp for Eels job [AND THURSTON!]

Avenger

Immortal
I apologise if this has already been posted. I thought it was a good perspective seeing that Lowrie has been coached by Anderson and Kearney.

Stephen Kearney would bring new approach to Parramatta Eels

STEPHEN Kearney, the man most likely to takeover as coach of Parramatta next season, would have a vastly different approach to the team than his predecessor.
That is the view of Melbourne backrower Todd Lowrie, who played under the Storm assistant coach this year and was part of Daniel Anderson’s Eels last year.
Parramatta terminated the final year of Anderson’s contract on Sunday, and if Kearney is to replace him, Lowrie said the playing group could expect change.
“They are very different people,’’ Lowrie told the Advertiser.

“They are completely different people and completely different coaches.“I think (Kearney) will be very interactive with the players.“The senior playing group will have a lot of input into how they play.
“Daniel had a lot of success and locked things into how he wanted them done.
“And we had success while I was there.
“But ‘Mooks’ is one of those blokes who will give the players a lot of say.’‘

The Parramatta board were due to meet on Tuesday night and hoped to announce a coach this week.
Eels CEO Paul Osborne met Kearney, also New Zealand’s head coach, late in the season to discuss the position.
While this would be Kearney’s debut as an NRL head coach, he is no stranger to the rigors of the job.
“To be fair, he sort of took over the coaching role,’’ Lowrie said of Kearney’s season.

“Through the middle of the year when (head coach Craig Bellamy) was away, Mooks was coaching the side single-handedly.“Bellamy was at Origin and Mooks became the head man for a number of weeks."

Lowrie said Kearney worked players hard and had a defensive emphasis.“He expects a lot of players, which is how he played his career,’’ he said.“He is very defensive-oriented, which is what most of our club is.“And being a recent player, he still knows the game.’’

http://parramatta-advertiser.wherei...-would-bring-new-approach-to-parramatta-eels/

Avenger

Immortal
Vatuvei backs Kearney to succeed in NRL

Giant Kiwis winger Manu Vatuvei sees Wayne Bennett-like traits in Stephen Kearney and says the Kiwis mentor would revel in a head coaching role in the National Rugby League (NRL).

Kearney is tipped to ink a deal with the Parramatta Eels after the west Sydney club on Monday dumped Daniel Anderson following a disappointing season, with 10 wins from 24 matches and a 12th-placed finish.

Kearney, 38, has been Craig Bellamy's assistant at the Melbourne Storm since 2006 and head coach of the Kiwis since 2008. That year he took New Zealand to World Cup victory with Bennett, a six-time premiership winner with the Brisbane Broncos, as his coaching adviser.

Vatuvei, a key member of that World Cup squad, today gave Kearney a glowing reference, saying his credentials pointed to success at club level.

"He's already put his mark on the game and he's a well respected coach by all the players," Vatuvei told NZPA.
"Everyone listens to him and trusts he can take them to a different level because he's proven himself.

"He's been there and done that, as a player and a coach."

Vatuvei said Kearney was similar to Bennett, the current St George Illawarra coach gunning for a seventh title ahead of Sunday's NRL grand final against the Roosters, in that he had the utmost respect and trust of the players, who would do whatever they could to succeed for him.

The New Zealand Warriors winger also felt a head coaching role with the Eels could only be good for the Kiwis.
"Coaching at club level on a daily basis will make him even better," Vatuvei said.

"I think he'll just develop into a coach like a Wayne Bennett. He's a person who is always straight up with the boys and he's just so well respected."

Meanwhile, Vatuvei has shrugged off any fitness concerns ahead of the upcoming Four Nations campaign, saying he was over a niggling knee injury he carried during the back end of the Warriors' NRL season and was well rested.

The Kiwis squad are named on Tuesday with their opening match against England in Wellington on October 23.

They also play Papua New Guinea in Rotorua on October 30 and Australia at the revamped Eden Park in Auckland on November 6. The final is in Brisbane on November 13.
New Zealand failed to make the final of last year's tournament in England as Australia beat the hosts to win the title.

While respectful of England, Vatuvei felt Australia would again be the team to beat.

"It's going to be hard, they will never have a bad team, but we've shown we can match them more consistently than before. They don't give us a towel-up anymore."

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/vatuvei-backs-kearney-succeed-in-nrl-3812331

parra pete

Referee
ACTUALLY I did radio grabs with Mal Meninga and Ricky Stuart this morning..and Matt Geyer yesterday. Have Peachey, David Furner Billy Millard lined up for early next week and Marcus Bai on October 10..Then I will have grabs from the lot of them...
Gary Belcher, Bradley Clyde, Laurie Daley, Mal Meninga, Ricky Stuart, Jason Croker, Andrew McFadden, Darren Smith, Ben Roarty, Matt Geyer, Ben Roarty, Mark Tookey, Quentin Pongia, Simon Wooford, Danny Nutley, COACH Arthur Beetson and Match Referee Bill Harrigan.
How is that for the greatest array of superstars arranged to come to a little Country town to PROMOTE the game of Rugby League. The players who get to play against them, and alongside them will have a memory they will never forget.
Gary Belcher told me yesterday that Scott Prince played alongside the Legends a couple of years ago when he was about 16...Look where he is now.
Check out the website www.haymagpies.leaguenet.com.au
Tooks also told me that he will die out here. He's about 150 kg....:lol: Good for one run...
BTW..The CRL has given the match its blessing, and we are hoping the hierarchy can get out here to watch it...BUT they will need to book accommodation quickly, the town is filling fast....

LATE NEWS.....95% chance the Footy Show will be doing a live cross to the Hay Services Club on Thursday March 3..featuring Sterlo and several of the AllStars team..
- and maybe Nathan Hindmarsh..
FRIDAY The ARL will conduct a Superclinic at Hay Park Oval for 450 kids, with 16 ARL Development Officers in attendance and probably Nathan Hindmarsh..
FRIDAY - We are in the process of arranging for Jack Newton to play in a Pro-Am Golf Tournament at Hay Golf Course with Ricky, Sterlo, Laurie and other members of the All Stars team involved as well as golfers from as far away as ACT...the Raiders are making it a SPONSORS WEEKEND.
SATURDAY Match between Riverina Academy players, Hay League Tag v the rest;, All Stars game..followed by Sportsmans Dinner, Hay Services Club,
SUNDAY Breakfast with the stars at four local Hotels in the morning...Afternoon, Barbecue at fantastic Sandy Point, followed by water skiing afternoon..Plane leaves for Canberra at 7pm...
WHAT A WEEKEND...The Festival of Football..

parra pete

Referee
I guess you have a sense of humour Pete.

If it bothers you, let me know and I'll remove it.

Nah its fine Twiz...love it actually...Good to see that life goes on...
As I have posted on previous threads, I really enjoy the banter that goes on in this forum. It seems more 'grown up' than the others.
As long as we remember that it is all just views..nothing more, nothing less.

boxhead

First Grade
Thanks for posting those articles Avenger, that is pretty interesting to see Manu's and Lowrie's opinions on Kearney......Lowrie says that Kearney is a very defensive minded coach, I guess this means he will introduce good structure (defensivley) into our team (we are already a great defensive team however-imagine if we improved even more).
That's a massive wrap from Manu that he thinks Kearney will be like Wayne Bennett one day.....wow.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As long as we remember that it is all just views..nothing more, nothing less.

Speak for yourself mate - everything I post is The Truth.

Why would I lie?

Thanks for posting those articles Avenger, that is pretty interesting to see Manu's and Lowrie's opinions on Kearney......Lowrie says that Kearney is a very defensive minded coach, I guess this means he will introduce good structure (defensivley) into our team

It also means he will select and recruit for attitude - hard nosed bloody-mindedness a la Melbourne recently and the Bulldogs of the early 90s to mid 00s.

Note both teams were done for rorting the salary cap. Hopefully a coincidence.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Thanks for posting those articles Avenger, that is pretty interesting to see Manu's and Lowrie's opinions on Kearney......Lowrie says that Kearney is a very defensive minded coach, I guess this means he will introduce good structure (defensivley) into our team (we are already a great defensive team however-imagine if we improved even more).
That's a massive wrap from Manu that he thinks Kearney will be like Wayne Bennett one day.....wow.

Bad sign as the defence is not our problem it is the lack of attacking flair. I don't think Kearney is the right guy for the job.

Suitman

Post Whore
Mate of mine went on a harbour cruise yeaterday. Brett Kenny was one of the guests. He did a half hour talk during the luncheon. Basically confirmed that Kearney will be taking over, which is no surprise anyway.
Kenny also said that one of Andersons major problems was that he was a very poor communicator. Gave the example of several times this season, Ando called up players from Wenty, and Kenny wasn't told. He would find out about it in the media. Make of it what you will. I'm just passing on the info.

Source: My mate, Matt.

Suity

Mate of mine went on a harbour cruise yeaterday. Brett Kenny was one of the guests. He did a half hour talk during the luncheon. Basically confirmed that Kearney will be taking over, which is no surprise anyway.
Kenny also said that one of Andersons major problems was that he was a very poor communicator. Gave the example of several times this season, Ando called up players from Wenty, and Kenny wasn't told. He would find out about it in the media. Make of it what you will. I'm just passing on the info.

Suity

Glad Andersons gone now. He didn't even get on with fellow coaching staff by what's coming out. Good decision by the board.

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Suity

Glad Kenny told everyone on the cruise. I suppose the members will hear about soon too.

spartan2153

Juniors
great our defence has never been the problem. From what i remember lowrie rated hagan so i really dont give a f**k what he thinks of a coach.

Manu is a winger & at the end of the day he has been involved in a team that has cheated for the last 5 years & the year they didnt start cheating they didnt make the semi's

Dream on about kearney. If he dont make the semi's i expect the same treatment DA got

Latest posts