What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Blocker Roach

Ryan

Juniors
I'm surprised you guys aren't more excited about Blocker being your forwards coach next year. What are your thoughts?

For the record:-

2005 Manly's forwards under Steve Roach made less metres than any other team in the NRL.
2005 Manly's forwards under Steve Roach conceded more metres than any other team in the NRL.

Source - Wayne Pearce - NRL on Fox.

At least he will now have heart in the company that provides his income.

You guys happy, or not so?

gallagher

Juniors
I'm yet to be convinced that Blocker has made it as a great forwards coach. The only improvment I've noticed in Manly's pack over the past few years is the signing of Kennedy.

innsaneink

Referee
Ryan said:

2005 Manly's forwards under Steve Roach made less metres than any other team in the NRL.
2005 Manly's forwards under Steve Roach conceded more metres than any other team in the NRL.

Did they improve on that this year?

mepelthwack

Juniors
Those stats are for a runaway wooden spooner, I find them hard to believe. Oh and I should say also that Blocker isn't one of the forwards running out for Manly and dogging it either. Same as how Roycey is for us and we don't blame him for how our players perform or don't perform.

Even if true though, you are right, his heart is at the Tigers and it is at the Tigers he will shine.

Ryan

Juniors
Here you go lads.....

Roach quits Manly for his Tigers
Adam Lucius
10Nov06

MANLY players were last night hit with the shock news league legend Steve ``Blocker'' Roach won't be part of their 2007 campaign.

They will officially be told of his departure when they gather for an orientation day at Narrabeen this morning.

Roach is set to join the coaching staff at the Wests Tigers after three successful years as Manly's forwards coach.

It will be an emotional homecoming for Roach, who played 185 games with Balmain.

The loss of the former Australian front-rower comes as a major blow to Manly's forwards, who all rate Roach highly.

``That's news to me. It's disappointing,'' Manly prop Jason King said when the Daily informed him of Roach's departure.

``He was great to work with, especially for the front rowers.

``He offered plenty of advice and encouragement and you'd could always talk to him about your game and opposition props.

``He'll be a loss for sure.''

Fellow prop George Rose, whose game developed significantly this year, was another Roach disciple.

``It's a shame Blocker won't be there next year,'' he said.

``I learned a lot from him and will continue to use what he taught me.''

Manly gave Roach a shot at coaching when no one else was willing to give him a chance.

He feels he repaid the club's faith during his three years at Brookvale.

``Manly was a great experience for me,'' he said yesterday.

```I've been there three years and love the joint and their set-up.

``But at the end of the day it was time to move on. My heart has always been with the Tigers.''

Meanwhile, Manly CEO Grant Mayer has expressed his club's disappointment in missing out on the first Monday night game of the 2007 season.

The Sea Eagles will open their campaign with a Saturday evening home fixture against Canberra, with Souths and the Roosters to square off in the return of Monday night football.

``We thought a round one game against two teams who made the top eight in 2006 would have been a great way to kick off Monday night football,'' Mayer said.

``It would have been a great way to showcase our new signing (Jamie Lyon) with the team being led by a new captain.

``But we also understand where the NRL is coming from, having two traditional clubs in the Roosters and Souths play first up.''

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryan said:
I'm surprised you guys aren't more excited about Blocker being your forwards coach next year. What are your thoughts?

At least he will now have heart in the company that provides his income.

You guys happy, or not so?
i shall research this and get back to you all with the findings.

gallagher

Juniors
Ryan said:
Here you go lads.....

Roach quits Manly for his Tigers
Adam Lucius
10Nov06

MANLY players were last night hit with the shock news league legend Steve ``Blocker'' Roach won't be part of their 2007 campaign.

They will officially be told of his departure when they gather for an orientation day at Narrabeen this morning.

Roach is set to join the coaching staff at the Wests Tigers after three successful years as Manly's forwards coach.

It will be an emotional homecoming for Roach, who played 185 games with Balmain.

The loss of the former Australian front-rower comes as a major blow to Manly's forwards, who all rate Roach highly.

``That's news to me. It's disappointing,'' Manly prop Jason King said when the Daily informed him of Roach's departure.

``He was great to work with, especially for the front rowers.

``He offered plenty of advice and encouragement and you'd could always talk to him about your game and opposition props.

``He'll be a loss for sure.''

Fellow prop George Rose, whose game developed significantly this year, was another Roach disciple.

``It's a shame Blocker won't be there next year,'' he said.

``I learned a lot from him and will continue to use what he taught me.''

Manly gave Roach a shot at coaching when no one else was willing to give him a chance.

He feels he repaid the club's faith during his three years at Brookvale.

``Manly was a great experience for me,'' he said yesterday.

```I've been there three years and love the joint and their set-up.

``But at the end of the day it was time to move on. My heart has always been with the Tigers.''

Meanwhile, Manly CEO Grant Mayer has expressed his club's disappointment in missing out on the first Monday night game of the 2007 season.

The Sea Eagles will open their campaign with a Saturday evening home fixture against Canberra, with Souths and the Roosters to square off in the return of Monday night football.

``We thought a round one game against two teams who made the top eight in 2006 would have been a great way to kick off Monday night football,'' Mayer said.

``It would have been a great way to showcase our new signing (Jamie Lyon) with the team being led by a new captain.

``But we also understand where the NRL is coming from, having two traditional clubs in the Roosters and Souths play first up.''

So nothing official about signing with the Tiges. Thanks

innsaneink

Referee
innsaneink said:
Did they improve on that this year?

Ahem.....Ryan, you missed this question.
uwskyuparrow.gif

Ryan

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Ahem.....Ryan, you missed this question.
uwskyuparrow.gif

Yup...Improved...but that is down to signings.

But I'm a positive bloke.

I wish you ALL the luck he bought our great forwards like Jason King and his 14 metres against The Sharks.

Danos

Juniors
Ryan said:
Yup...Improved...but that is down to signings.

2005:

8. King
10. Kite
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

2006:

8. King
10. Kite
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

So who did they sign that improved their forward pack? George Rose.. please. :roll:

t-ba

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
Good question....who did they sign that improved their forward pack?

Kite Began Turning up.

I'd love those stats mentioned at the top of the post. We still had trouble with metres. Just look at the Finals Match against the Knights.

Ryan

Juniors
It aint Rocket science guys.

Kite - bought and not improved under Roach (already a great player).
Kennedy - bought and not improved under Roach (already a great player).
Watmough - junior and gone backwards under Roach.
King - junior and gone backwards BIG TIME under Roach.

That leaves - George Rose, Mark Bryant, Adam Cuthbertson, Kylie Leuluai etc as players Roach may have had some input to improve their skill etc. And they haven't. But hopefully we get a gun forwards coach, that actually might start showing some value and innovation.

So I repeat - signings is where we have improved under Roach ! Not development of youth or new skills added to yongsters.

Look at a player like Fui Fui Moi Moi as a prop that I would consider as being coached correctly, and has improved under his regime.

innsaneink

Referee
Ryan said:
It aint Rocket science guys.

Kite - bought and not improved under Roach (already a great player).
Kennedy - bought and not improved under Roach (already a great player).
Watmough - junior and gone backwards under Roach.
King - junior and gone backwards BIG TIME under Roach.

That leaves - George Rose, Mark Bryant, Adam Cuthbertson, Kylie Leuluai etc as players Roach may have had some input to improve their skill etc. And they haven't. But hopefully we get a gun forwards coach, that actually might start showing some value and innovation.

So I repeat - signings is where we have improved under Roach ! Not development of youth or new skills added to yongsters.

Look at a player like Fui Fui Moi Moi as a prop that I would consider as being coached correctly, and has improved under his regime.

Yet somehow with all those players that didnt improve from 05 to 06...the team itself did?

You say Kite didnt improve, but we have another manly fan saying he did.

One of you is fullavit, and its not the other dude.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Ryan said:
So I repeat - signings is where we have improved under Roach !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did or did not the forward pack of King, Kite, BK, Menzies, Watmough improve there meter making and defensive abilities in 06 compared to 05?

Danos

Juniors
Blocker is only a forwards coach. If your boys a lacking a bit of heart and courage, they can always trek down the yellow brick road and visit the wizard of Oz.

Ryan

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did or did not the forward pack of King, Kite, BK, Menzies, Watmough improve there meter making and defensive abilities in 06 compared to 05?

Yes. Admittedly correct. ButI put that more down to Matt Orford and Travis Burns pointing them, running them and sending them in the right direction.

Additionally, I think the forwards motivations more stemmed from Ben Kennedy being an inspirational "captain" and leader in 2006 whom lead by example.

Manly had to release a statement on its official site, as everyone was saying "don't let the door hit you on the way out pal". Apparently they weren't too pleased at the reception he was getting.

Manly's forwards over the past 2 years has been it's achilles heel. I just hope:-

1. Roach can get more out of your forwards than he did ours;
2. We get a forwards coach that bleeds Manly.

None of you have answered my question though. Manly gave him a chance when "no-one" alse would. The results are there for everyone to see.

Are you all pleased the big unit has signed on for you guys. Additionally, what does that mean for Royce Simmons role?

Latest posts