What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Rogers.

Dorsel

Juniors
RIP - The Prince Of Centres.

A very sad day indeed. On behalf of the Lismore Shark Crew, condolenses to the family.

SharkWings

Juniors
Feels weird...i never knew the bloke like some of you did but he is one of the main reasons I started supporting the Sharks in 78 when I was 5 years old.....man how many good memories has he given us all?

I feel for Mat losing his mum and dad.

steveshark

----
Rest in Peace mate. A natural player who excelled in any position, centre, 5/8 , lock. His attacking skills were silky, none better, but his defence was equal to that of our greatest defender, Greg Pierce. A goal kicker as well. The complete player. A Shark through and through. I had the privilege to watch him from 1973 onwards. I cried when he went to the Saints. Whilst he struggled as a CEO, there was no doubt as to his passion , committment and his true love of the Sharks. Vale Sludge.

Frenzy. said:
cry_3.gif
cry_3.gif

Very much so Frenz.

Shark

Bench
Booyah said:
A nice tribute for Sludge from Sharksforever

http://sharksforever.com/media/slideshows/Sludge.html

Might take a few minutes to load.

Do yourselves a favour and watch the slideshow Booyah's talking about.

If you don't have a lump in your throat when you see some of those photos then I dunno what's wrong with ya.

Some classics there, even a few of Steve in KB-sponsored tracksuits, another of him sucking on a durry after a 'surprise' loss to Souths...fantastic.

Check it out.

The Nulla

Juniors
ShArKsMaN said:
does anyone know if the Rat is in sydney at the moment??

I just got back from Byron Bay and spotted Mat up there just before NYE. If he is still up there it would have been a terrible call to recieve this morning.

Horrible news. RIP you great man. You are immortal in the eyes of all Sharks fans.

Shark

Bench
The Nulla said:
I just got back from Byron Bay and spotted Mat up there just before NYE. If he is still up there it would have been a terrible call to recieve this morning.

Mat was on the scene at his dad's place by late morning. I think I spotted Dean Treister with him on the news footage, along with a few other familiar faces who seemed to have things under control.

rowdy

First Grade
Im so sad to hear this, its just so hard to believe. Even though i didn't see him play, i know he was a true legend and a great representative for the sharks.

My condolences to his family and you all.

Shark

Bench
A well written obituary from the Telegraph:

Rogers 'an immortal of the game'

Obituary by Glenn Cullen

January 03, 2006

HE may not have become a rugby league Immortal but that didn't stop people in the Sutherland shire calling Steve Rogers "God".

It was one of the many sobriquets that Rogers had.

Contemporaries and media pundits also labelled him "the prince of centres" while mates just called him "sludge".

Everyone else that followed rugby league in the 1970s and 80s simply knew him as a great footy player.

A Cronulla junior, Rogers was earmarked early for greatness, making his debut with the senior Sharks side as an 18-year-old in 1973.

He'd already had two seasons under his belt with the Gold Coast Tigers in the Queensland competition and that experience would serve him well as he went on to feature in a grand final and Kangaroo tour in just his first year in the top flight.

Rogers would never celebrate a grand final victory; that `73 experience ended in a 10-7 loss against Manly.

Further heartbreak was to come five years later as the Sea Eagles again proved Cronulla's bogey side, drawing 11-11 with the Rogers-led Sharks in the grand final before beating them soundly 16-0 in the replay.

But it was one of the few checkboxes not ticked in an exceptional career that included three Kangaroo tours and a first grade record of 1,253 points for Cronulla.

At the height of his powers in the mid 1970s to early 80s, Rogers was more impressive than simple statistics.

His sense of balance, athleticism and versatility enabled him to play centre, five-eighth or lock with equal aplomb with a game that was both aesthetically pleasing and productive on the scoreboard.

"He was dominant in any position that he played," recalled Kangaroo teammate Mick Cronin, who formed one of Australia's great centre combinations with Rogers.

"He was an athlete and a footballer. There wasn't anything in the game he couldn't do."

Rogers also enjoyed a beer.

"He was knockabout bloke and a legendary card player," recalled St George and Kangaroo teammate Rod Reddy.

"Socially, he liked a great time and in his early years I suppose he played hard off the field and on the field also."

Injury, too, played its part in Rogers' career and it often struck at the worst possible time.

In 1974, he suffered his first major knee injury and missed likely national honours.

He controversially crossed the Shire divide to join St George as the game's highest-paid player in 1983 but battled a series of physical complaints and never really reached his peak again.

Rogers re-joined Cronulla in 1985 but had his jaw broken by Canterbury forward Mark Bugden in his return match. The incident resulted in a protracted court course case with Rogers suing for assault.

His stint with Widnes was equally unproductive, breaking his leg in a debut outing with the English club.

It ended his career.

Rogers took on various administration and coaching roles but his heart belonged with Cronulla and he returned to the club in 1998 and had been there ever since, desperately but ultimately unsuccessfully trying to deliver the side to a premiership he never saw as a player.

An affable, media-friendly executive, Rogers also passed on many of his on-field skills to son Mat, who would forge a successful career with Cronulla before turning to rugby union in 2002.

That move came shortly after another Rogers family tragedy with Steve's first wife - and Mat's mother - Carol dying from a long battle with cancer the year prior.

With Rogers' passing today, the debate over rugby league immortals is sure to re-emerge.

Just seven players officially where the label: Graeme Langlands, Wally Lewis, Arthur Beetson, Clive Churchill, John Raper, Reg Gasnier and Bob Fulton.

Rogers was considered closely for inclusion when Beetson became the last player inducted in 2003.

But Cronin put the issue into simple perspective today.

"These are things I don't buy into," he said.

"If you put all the footballers down on paper, he'd be there on his day with the best of them."

dreary

Juniors
Very very sad day ... RIP the greatest of all centres.
condolences to the family and friends, he will be missed by all of us sharks fans just as his deads on the field have been missed since his retirement.

Southern Shark

Juniors
The greatest player I saw during the 70's and early 80's. When the sign on the scaffolding stand was raised declaring 'STEVE ROGERS IS GOD' I saw well and truly why. He earn't that declaration. Week in, week out especially between 1976 and 1983 he single handedly won games for Cronulla. When he was injured, papers would declare 'STEVE ROGERS OUT' and crowds dropped off dramatically. Watching him in most of his games between those years was just amazing. Field goals, tries and conversions on the bell to win games, all points scored and most tackles for Cronulla. I used to watch him closely in his 5/8 and lock forward years to see if he ever missed a tackle and he never did. And when oppositions scored it was ROGERS wrapped around their legs taking them to the gound. I cannot remember FULTON and CRONIN ever outplaying him except for FULTON's 1973 Grand Final win when ROGERS was 18 years old.
I have heard many players rate him the best they played with and against. The reason why was all the other immortals of that era played in great sides. Steve ROGERS in the main played in a struggling side except our 1978 side. Additionally he was the total all round player not lacking in any area. He was a great captain, super fast and illusive, creative with the ball, the best defender in his latter years in the game, superb passer, a great goal kicker and general kicker. A true black, white and blue legend who will be sorely missed. R.I.P Sludge but most of all sincere thanks.

Noel

Juniors
What a sad day for rugby league. I am glad his defensive qualities are not forgotten, he was a great tackler. I was shocked to hear the news of a loss a one of the games finest players.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Southern Shark said:
When the sign on the scaffolding stand was raised declaring 'STEVE ROGERS IS GOD'

The church complained about that sign and we were told to take it down so the chant from then on was "Stevey Rogers walks on water"

Southern Shark

Juniors
Great memories Coolum.
We need someone, Club etc to produce a video of what remains of all of his highlights. The Rex MOSSOP commentary included. The numerous games he won for Cronulla which left Rex speechless in trying to describe his efforts. Additionally for all the fans that never saw him play. When the Southern Stand is built to join the other stands on each sideline it has to be named after him if indeed the ground is not renamed after him before they can be built.

beekershark

Bench
steveshark said:
For another time and another place Beeks. I do respect your opinion.

I agree totally, for another time and place, eulogising is not a place for suggesting someone " struggled" in their proffesion.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all Newcastle Knights fans when I wish the Rogers family, and his beloved Sharks, our very deepest condolences on this tragic day.

Our clubs and their fans have had their differences over the years, but it is always a time for all fans to come together when a true legend of our great game passes on. Steve Rogers more than fitted that criteria.

The fans of the Newcastle Knights, and of rugby league in general, mourn with you the loss of one of your very best... and one of the game's very best.

RIP 'Sludge'.