What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Rogers.

elmosharky

Juniors
That is really sad news! I thought 2006 was going to be a good year, but it hasn't started to well! All my best to the Rodgers family, I know how they would be feeling as I lost my dad a few months ago to a heart attack!

Today Is Sad day for the Sharks and Rugby League! It's a big Loss. RIP Steve!

Vale Sludge. All time greatest Shark and the 'Prince of Centres'.

the best i ever saw play the game and my all-time personal favourite player. hard to believe he's gone but i am thankful to have seen him in his prime.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Shark

Bench
A story here from the ABC website. Well written, not cut-and-pasted from AAP like the rest of the articles available this morning...

Last Update: Tuesday, January 3, 2006. 11:17am AEDT

r68654_190419.jpg

Cronulla legend Steve Rogers has died, aged 51. (ABC)

Sharks legend Rogers dies
Australia's rugby league community is mourning the loss of former star centre Steve Rogers.

The former Cronulla Sharks and Australian rugby league great was found dead in his unit in Sydney's south today.

A report is being prepared for the coroner but it is believed Rogers died of natural causes.

Rogers was found dead this morning after a relative had unsuccessfully tried to contact him.

Sharks management said the 51-year-old, father of Wallaby utility Mat Rogers, had just returned from an overseas holiday and was due to return to his job as general manager of the Cronulla club next week.

Sharks football manager Greg Pierce said the news had come as a terrible shock.

"Unbelievable, he was due back at work on Monday and I was due to go off for a couple of weeks," he said.

"He's been away on holidays in Europe for a period and we were just going to swap over where the state of the nation was sort of thing, and it's quite unbelievable the fact that he won't be there."

Mr Pierce said Rogers' death would leave a big hole at the club.

"He was our greatest player. He's been at the club since 1973, so it's just going to be a massive shock to everybody," he said.

Rogers played more than 200 games for the Sharks between 1972 and 1985, and represented both New South Wales and Australia.

He played 19 games for the Blues and 21 Tests for the Kangaroos.

National Rugby League chief operating officer Graham Annesley said Rogers was regarded as one of the greatest centres to play the game.

"He had a fabulous career for the Sharks and then also for the state and for Australia, so on the playing field there was no finer player," he said

Rogers was twice voted the best and fairest player in the ARL competition.

Waratahs rally around Rogers

Mat Rogers, meanwhile, has been granted leave by the New South Wales Waratahs on compassionate grounds following the sudden death of his father.

NSW Rugby chief executive Fraser Neill said Mat had the full support of the Waratahs.

"Mat was due back tomorrow for the Waratahs country tour but it's obviously more important that Mat is with his family at this difficult time," he said.

"We have been in contact with Mat today and expressed to him our deepest sympathy for his great loss.

"Mat is a pretty stoic character and I'm sure he'll receive nothing but the best possible support from his family, friends and team-mates."

Mr Neill said Mat would return to the Waratahs when he was ready.

"Mat will know when it's time to come back but for now all we want to do is support him."

RIP sludge, a all time great, I remember watching him as a kid, living in parramatta area, and supporting Cronulla, he gave us all hope, champion player.

I would like to say since he was CEO, i have emailed Steve on numerous occassions and always received a reply.

In 2003 on my honeymoon coming down from Brisbane i emailed steve with a request for some turf from Shark Park, he arranged this for me, he had the groundsmen Ian at the time take me out on field behind the dead ball end on family Hill, and remove some turf, which still sits in a pot in my backyard today.

Thanks Sludge for everything.

Bluebag

Juniors
A great loss to not only the Sharks and the game but also his family. It is hard to fathom the loss of someone still so young in life.

Missed by many but those of us who were lucky to have seen him at his peak a truly classy player, one of our finest.

Rest in Peace Steve.

I'd like to extend my condolences to the Rogers family and the Sharkies community.

Stoney and Sludge within months of each other. Life just isn't fair.

Booyah

Bench
If ever the boys needed a reason to fire up for a season - this is it.

I had no idea he was only 51 either. That only makes it all the more tragic that someone so young could just go like that.

Nullajet

Juniors
Terribly sad day..........always is when a legend dies but made so much worse when he was so young.

R.I.P. Sludge (one of many and more so than most who deserved to see the sharks hold the premiership)

Shark

Bench
Nullajet said:
R.I.P. Sludge (one of many and more so than most who deserved to see the sharks hold the premiership)

Too true that. There's the real tragedy...He'd have died a far happier man if he'd seen our colours take the title.

Miracle Balls

Juniors
A very sad day for all footy fans.

Steve was the greatest Sharkie ever and undoubtedly the finest centre three-quarter I've ever seen.

Chins up, Sharkies fans. RIP Sludge.

Foz

Bench
Without doubt our greatest ever player.
He was my idol.
No doubt part of the club has died as well.
A very sad day.

panfashark

Juniors
It is impossible to describe the feeling when you find out that your hero has died.

My most vivid childhood memory was grand final day 1973,standing on our street corner,decked out in Sharkies clobber and flag,singing Stevie Rogers walks on water.

To the younger guys on here who never saw him play,Do yourself a favour and find some footage.
R.I.P Sludge
He has found peace

dazza

Staff member
RIP Steve. My thoughts & prayers are with Mat & the Rogers family.

Shark said:
If our blokes can't find a bit of heart and soul this year, then they never will.

EVERY game has to be played with the passion shown in our final game of 2005.

How fitting it was, that in the final game Sludge saw our boys play, they were wearing the playing strip that he made his own.

totally agree, & i can`t wait to get over to sydney for round 4. finally get to watch the sharkies play in sydney & catch up with phil leuluai too.

followed cronulla since dane & kurt moved over to play for you guy`s, as they were coached by my dad during their younger days here in nz at the mt wellington club.

cheers dazza

Latest posts