What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Simpson retires - press conference at 8.45am

RABK

Referee
Bung knee compels Simpson to call it quits

BRETT KEEBLE

August 10, 2010
NEWCASTLE, NSW and Australian second-rower Steve Simpson has succumbed to a chronic knee injury, and will announce his retirement today.
The 30-year-old veteran of 216 NRL games for the Knights, seven Tests and 13 State of Origin matches will tell teammates of his decision before training this morning then make an official announcement at a media conference.

Simpson did not return calls last night but sources close to him and the team confirmed speculation he would not play again.
The Knights issued a statement last night saying they would make a ''significant club announcement'' at 8.45am today.
Simpson's right knee has not responded to arthroscopic surgery almost three months ago and, with no realistic chance of playing again this year and no contract beyond this season, he was not prepared to continue painful rehabilitation process in the faint hope of returning.

The Knights decided not to offer him a new deal until he returned to the field and proved he had recovered from the knee injury that has dogged him for several years.
Simpson has been restricted to just eight appearances this season - the last being in Newcastle's 23-6 loss to Wests Tigers at EnergyAustralia Stadium on May 21.
The possibility that Simpson had reached the end of his decorated career was first raised in in June after he was ruled out of the Knights' game against Penrith.
He had clean-up surgery to trim torn cartilage and repair wear and tear, but his knee has deteriorated so that bone rubs on bone.
Simpson's retirement has cleared the way for the Knights to announce the signing of Dragons enforcer Jeremy Smith, or another established forward, as his replacement.

The Knights denied speculation yesterday that they had already won the tug of war with the Sharks for Smith's services.
A source in Sydney said the 25-year-old back-rower had rejected Cronulla's advances to agree to terms on a three-year deal with Newcastle, but Knights recruitment manager Keith Onslow insisted yesterday that was not the case.
The Knights have already signed Smith's Dragons teammate Neville Costigan and clubmate Beau Henry, St George Illawarra's NYC five-eighth, to three-year deals.

Onslow said he had spoken to Smith's manager, Sam Ayoub, late yesterday, and Ayoub had assured him that the Kiwis international remained undecided. Ayoub told Onslow late last week that Smith was likely to make a decision today, and Onslow said nothing had changed.
Simpson is the Knights' sixth most capped player behind Andrew Johns (249), Tony Butterfield (229), Robbie O'Davis (223), Matt Gidley (221) and Danny Buderus (220).

He made his NRL debut at Parramatta Stadium on April 30, 1999, coming off the bench in a 29-22 loss to the Eels, and his first run-on appearance was in a 32-26 loss to Penrith in Newcastle on May 7, 2000.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-simpson-to-call-it-quits-20100809-11u25.html

One of my all time favourites, forever remembered for his try saver on Ryan in the 01 GF.

I believe at one stage he played 70 or so matches in a row early in his career before missing most of 2004 with a foot injury. Ironic that he was considered such a durable player early on in his career because of his avoidance of injuries and how tough he played (top one on one tackler in the game IMO 02-03) only to become unlucky and incredible injury prone for the last 7 seasons of his career. He probably played 40% of his matches in the first 3 years of his 11 year career.

His best game was the infamous 2002 Eels game at EAS. He made two 60 metre breaks in this game, scored 2 tries and racked up 200+ metres and got the MOTM.

A club legend and the last in the real tough mould of Newcastle forward. No doubt he and BK were the best backrow in the comp when together on the park.

Nostalgia hits when you realise he is 30, and for many of us we are now older then Simmo was himself when he won that GF.

He goes in the way of Chief, Butts, Matty, Joey and Bedsy - out the way a club legend should not go but that does not discount him from an obvious place in our all time top 17.

Wish him all the best and thank him for contributing both - to some awesome early 2000's memories and for also been a senior player in a rabble of a team the last few years.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Simpson's retirement has cleared the way for the Knights to announce the signing of Dragons enforcer Jeremy Smith, or another established forward, as his replacement.
The Knights denied speculation yesterday that they had already won the tug of war with the Sharks for Smith's services.
A source in Sydney said the 25-year-old back-rower had rejected Cronulla's advances to agree to terms on a three-year deal with Newcastle, but Knights recruitment manager Keith Onslow insisted yesterday that was not the case.

I heard the press conference will also be used to announce this. We'll see what happens.

Stranger

Coach
Loved that 2001 tackle where he used his leg to stop Ryan putting the ball down. It feels like he has been around for ever and to me leaves dooogs as the last of the 'old boys' for the knights.

Sad to see him go, club legend and all round great bloke.

Although sad it may be, the club is moving forward with this decision.

red and blue

Juniors
One of the greats he will be sorely missed. It dosnt matter who we sign it would be hard to think that any outside player would wear the red and blue with the amount of pride and passion that Simmo did. I just wish him all the best in retirement I have no doubt hell be a success at what ever he turns his hand to.

We all knew this was on the way but it still hurts all the same. If Jeremy Smith does sign on I hope he understands the legacy he is replacing is one which no man could fill. Simmo is as Newy as a player gets. I am thinking my initial belief Smith has singed with the sharks may be wide of the mark now. Oh well. If he stays fit he will be a fair replacement for Simmo.

First Grade
Simmo deserves all the accolades and congratulations he will receive one of the great knights, i wish him well in his future endeavours and thank him for the efforts he put in for the knights.

One of the greats. Shame he couldn't go out with his jersey on the way he'd have wanted, but in a way it is fitting that he farewells us in the same way as the legends before him... Joey, Bedsy and Chief.

Johns Magic

Referee
Very sad.

The highest compliment you could give Simpson is that every time he pulled on a Knights jersey he did the club proud. Whilst his athleticism may have waned towards the backend of his career, his toughness and grit never did. To me, that's what it means to be a Knight and all anyone could ever want as a fan.

There have been a lot of times I've been absolutely disgusted by a lack of effort from the team, but Simmo always gave everything he had to give.

Method

Juniors
Awesome player, gunna leave a big gap to fill, not only with his ability, but his passion for Newcastle. Will be missed and hope he still sticks around and has something to do with the club.

above all..he was a great guy who would always talk with you..thats cause of the bush setting he came from i think but always enjoyed the way he played..passion!

From what I've heard its all but impossible but really hope he can tape himself up for the Dragons game as he definately doesnt deserve to finish this way.

But either way thanks for the memories mate.

timka4

Bench
Loved the Big Fella, Like Freddy put it, he is one of the last players who is purely as tough as nails and would never ever let anybody down

Apey

Staff member
Knowing it was going to happen doesn't make it any easier when it actually does.

Not only a great player who always gave his all but also one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet.

I hope we pack out the stadium against the Dragons for him, rain hail or shine.

ClintDogg

Juniors
Simmo was just as bad as McDougal, in 1 week, out 4 8weeks.

Now lets get sum1 way better and healthy too.

Yosh

Coach
A quality player who always played the Newcastle way. Very sad to see him to go like this... His last game was a loss to he Tigers and to see his career end in injury is just terrible...

I wish you the best mate!

How many players remain from our last premiership winning side now? Just Maddog? Was he there in 2001?