What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 09/12?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For Foxtel it's more about subscriptions rather than ads. Their part owners might well be evil bastards, but they are not in the business of throwing money away for fun. If they weren't getting a return (albeit indirect) on their outlay they would have cut the Storm loose ages ago. I'm sorry if I'm introducing a touch of commercial reality here....but if anyone (except Casper....sorry mate) would care to explain why News would continue to chuck money into something that has no return, I'd love to hear the explanation.

Because they're a corporation. Run by rich people.

And everyone knows rich people are evil and stupid.

eels81236

Bench
For Foxtel it's more about subscriptions rather than ads. Their part owners might well be evil bastards, but they are not in the business of throwing money away for fun. If they weren't getting a return (albeit indirect) on their outlay they would have cut the Storm loose ages ago. I'm sorry if I'm introducing a touch of commercial reality here....but if anyone (except Casper....sorry mate) would care to explain why News would continue to chuck money into something that has no return, I'd love to hear the explanation.

Freemasons.

andrew057

First Grade
You know what? I think it's time to let go, they officially won their second premiership last night and good luck to them and it also shows that the 2 best coaches in the game contested that grand final, Bellamy is a freak, outside the big 3 he had a very ordinary squad to work with and deserve all the accolades he gets.

Well done Melbourne well done Bellamy

Hear hear.

andrew057

First Grade
Failed attempt at comprehension.

Not quite sure how you can fail so hard when the work was all done for you in the original post - here's the relevant information for you:

Correct. 13 of 17 were illegally recruited.

The fact you keep coming and posting in here means you know deep down it's an asterisk premiership and nobody is really taking it seriously. Just like the Doggies in 2004, everyone knows this is a farce.

Wrong. Smith, Slater, Cronk, Hoffman were all at the club before any salary cap breach was made.

bartman

Immortal
Wrong. Smith, Slater, Cronk, Hoffman were all at the club before any salary cap breach was made.
...But remained part of the illegally assembled squad during the cheating years. And possible also signed contract upgrades during that time, having already been at the club beforehand.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Theres no way? But some how theyre keeping them together now legally?

So you're 100% certain that if the Storm had followed the rules during "those years" they'd have their grand final squad this year?

Let's hypothesise, Cam Smith would've taken the GC offer for megabucks, so he wouldn't be there. If he's not there, they aren't as successful a club on the field anyway. Without the on field success, there is no reason for guys like Hoffman to take the sabbatical and come back for the title shot at the place where they got paid and enjoyed a winning culture for years.

Surely you aren't so dense?

Old Man Cranky. In 20 years time we'll never know whether the team representing the Storm would have been weaker if they hadn't rorted the cap b/w 2007-09 (or whatever years it was). Coz you could argue that good young players they retain now are partly due to the fact that they want to play with Slater et al (or play in a successful team etc). Then the next gen want to play with today's young stars etc. It never ends if you want to let it bother you.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
This is true. The lag effect from the cheating lasts for years to come.
That's why they should have had to start from scratch.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Old Man Cranky. In 20 years time we'll never know whether the team representing the Storm would have been weaker if they hadn't rorted the cap b/w 2007-09 (or whatever years it was). Coz you could argue that good young players they retain now are partly due to the fact that they want to play with Slater et al (or play in a successful team etc). Then the next gen want to play with today's young stars etc. It never ends if you want to let it bother you.

Not quite true.

However I'd suggest the current Dogs team ought to be free from the 'cheaters' stain - the cleansing has happened.

The problem is not my perception, it was the lack of penalty imposed. Why do teams cheat the cap? To acquire better talent. So the penalty ought to fit the crime. I've already suggested a brief way to deal with it which targets the problem and is equitable for a club over the cap by $1 and a club over the cap by $1million.

But looking at the current Storm squad, one has to admit that while they are still comprised of the illegally assembled talent, they ought not be taken seriously. Any accomplishment they put on the table is marred.

The sad fact is that in the year they were well over a million above the cap, they ruined the first grade and U20s competitions through illegally acquired/ retained talent. Give it 2-3 more years for the cap to do its work, and the Storm can be taken seriously again.

oldmancraigy

Coach
This is true. The lag effect from the cheating lasts for years to come.
That's why they should have had to start from scratch.

I agree with the sentiment, unfortunately I also think that the game NEEDS a growing presence in Melbourne. So I can understand why the NRL was 'soft' on them.

I'm all for Melbourne winning the comp (or Canberra, or Nth Qld or whomever). Let's get the game to be BIGGER - but let's either do it on a level playing field, or be above board about the fact we're not!

Case in point: Sydney Swans have a 10% higher cap than the Melbourne clubs.

If we want the Storm to be a growing presence, then we could've been above board in saying they get 10% more couldn't we? [ok, so it was like 25% more for those years, but who's counting!!]
The whole salary cap thing probably needs some work - especially in looking after clubs who develop juniors!

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Clubs credibility dragged through the mud, sounds like you are saying the club was the victim, lol. You are sad for continuously coming in here and arguing. F**k off.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This is the Parra forum dipshit, you don't like what we have to say about your scummy club you can f**k off. It's not like we are trolling your clubs forum most of us are still bitter at your piece of shit club with good reason.............

Now off you go you don't like it you can shit in your boot and eat it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Clubs credibility dragged through the mud, sounds like you are saying the club was the victim, lol. You are sad for continuously coming in here and arguing. F**k off.
:lol: It's like it's our fault or the NRL's fault for the fact his piece of shit had their name dragged through the mud. It was brought on themselves typical Victorians a chip on each shoulder.

84 Baby

Referee
Funny everyone else in the world bar a handful of sad Eels fans acknowledge and applaud our 2012 premiership, it's legit, we are the best, now give it a rest. If you think having millions of dollars worth of fines, Premierships, Minor Premierships, WCC titles stripped, forced to play out an entrie season for 0 points, have the clubs and players credability dragged through the mud is not harsh enough punishment, well its not really relevant, because the NRL found it was suitable punishment, we have paid for our crimes, like a criminal who serves his time in jail, we are square with the house again. We just proved to the world that extra money didn't win those premierships, because with a cap compliant team we are still the best by a mile, and that's what you are having trouble understanding, it's jealousy and its ugly on you.

2012 Premiers, you cant take this one off us.

Try telling guys like Lowe, Norrie, Bromwich, Fa'aoso etc that their rings are tarnished, they wern't involved in the salary cap rorts. Your entire logic is flawed, you cannot predict where players would have ended up and how results during those years might have varied, no one can, so stop trying.
You guys were f**ked over by (I hypothesise) some club officials, player agents, players and possibly your coach. I don't blame any unknowing parties (except players who did receive the dodgy payments) including you fans. It is impossible to know what would have happened but surely (if you aren't just a troll) you can understand that the likelihood of any given player from any of your grand final teams being there dramatically decreases with each dollar whoever received under the table, particularly the ones receiving said money (e.g. Titans and Broncos both expressed interest in Smith). I can realise that it would be impossible to know even if they were under the cap in those years, that they wouldn't have won premierships anyway.

I may not like your team and believe the win is still tarnished but I congratulate them on the win. What I don't like is the lack of humility though about the whole ordeal from players and fans and aggression to other teams fans and the media, when that aggression should be aimed at the perpetrators. It's like harbouring the murderer of your sister because he's your brother.

I'd also like to know how Melbourne supporters felt in 2003 and particularly 2004?

Latest posts