Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 09/12?

As for the spoon, we could win a thousand consecutive spoons, and I'll still be here cheering for my club like a fool - because the Eels are, and always will be, my team.

Eele, I like you.
Exactly my sentiments.
Even if we'd broken the salary cap by a million, and won the spoon, they'd still be MY TEAM.

Suity

Fire

I like this thread. You guys have every right to still be pissed. And yes, I too believe it is still an illegally assembled team.

1999* Video ref won it for them.
2007* Cheating.
2009* Cheating.
2012* Still over half the team there.

There some good Melbourne Storm fans out there, and you have every right to support and defend your team, just like I would with Saints.

But your club was put together by folded SL scum teams by Ribot, then you cheated the cap, and you also introduced wrestling into our great game. Of course people are going to hate youse.

Wally21

we should sue melbourne for fraud and deception.
they made skearney look like a competent coach.

:D:D

Have just spent the long weekend in the windy city, (couldn't think of anything worse than hanging around Sydney to see who won out of the 2 teams I hate the most) and what is obvious, is that no one give a shit about the storm down here. All I have seen all weekend are swans jerseys, caps, scarves etc everywhere, along with a lot of people in their Hawthorn gear. Over 3 days in the city, I saw 1 little bloke with his storm jersey on and that is it. All anyone was ever interested in was the game they follow like zealots. The storm are merely a marketing exercise for the NRL. No one cares here in Mexico...

oldmancraigy

Me too. 12 of a GF squad of 17 from the illegal assembly years - definite asterisk imo.

Just as much as the Dogs win in 2004 after being busted illegal assembly in 2002. Both comp wins were too soon not to be tainted.

Oh well, off season now! :crazy:

I think I was wrong in the first post. It should be 13 of 17 since they bought Lowrie before getting busted - even though he only started playing for them in 2010.

broncos2010

Rubbish rubbish.

Storm pretty much had to rebuild the entire team around the big 3.

They had props with no experience last year in bromwitch who was the main prop and a reject who was about to go play BUSH FOOTY in norrie.

So lets go over the team

Waqa- reject from union who got a go in league and has taken it with both hands.
Chambers- Reject from union who got a go at storm again and has done very very well for them and I don't think he is on much coin.
Nielson- Who knew of this kid before last year? Came through the ranks.
Duffy- Under 20s promoted player
Widdop - another storm product under 20s promoted player

Lowrie- Reject that no club wanted but storm gave him a go.
Lowe- same as Lowrie.
Proctor - another player to come through the ranks at storm.

So you guys can talk all day about a so called all star team but its not and just look at the recruits they have got for next season in Junior Sau,Moores and Setu.

Are those guys superstars as well?

No they are players looking for a chance and storm will give them that and much more as the storm are a well run club with tough coaching.

Meh, we still beat them in round 20, the only time we played them this year.

Let's concentrate on us, and worry about the Storm when we are playing them.

Eele, I like you.
Exactly my sentiments.
Even if we'd broken the salary cap by a million, and won the spoon, they'd still be MY TEAM.

Suity

Thanks, Suitmeister! I like you too!

It would take something drastic for me to stop loving this team.

Meh, we still beat them in round 20, the only time we played them this year.

Let's concentrate on us, and worry about the Storm when we are playing them.

Exactly right - I enjoy the fact that the Wooden Spooners beat the eventual Premiers. Small comfort, but seeing we only won a handful of games, and one of those was against the eventual champions, I am pretty stoked.

TheParraboy

Rubbish rubbish.

They had props with no experience last year in bromwitch who was the main prop and a reject who was about to go play BUSH FOOTY in norrie.

So lets go over the team

Waqa- reject from union who got a go in league and has taken it with both hands.
Chambers- Reject from union who got a go at storm again and has done very very well for them and I don't think he is on much coin.

Lowe- same as Lowrie.

So you guys can talk all day about a so called all star team but its not and just look at the recruits they have got for next season in Junior Sau,Moores and Setu.

No they are players looking for a chance and storm will give them that and much more as the storm are a well run club with tough coaching.

Nielson? Who knew of Tony Williams before Manly threw overs at him??? Im pretty sure Tony would have stayed at Parra had we had a "2nd contract" for him to sign

Im pretty sure we wanted to keep Lowrie, had a great 2009, why wouldnt we, of course we couldnt afford him a pay rise, but Storm at the time had no salary cap, so good as gold..

Heres the kicker. Cam Smith was thrown buckets to become the founding captain of the titans. Chance to be back home at QLD. Apparantly it was a touch and go decision, except for one massive uneven playing field ie Titans didnt have a 2nd contract for Smithy to sign. Without the cap rorting, Smith is outta there, Storm wouldnt be able to match the offer, it changes the whole dynamics of the club. Hell titans may have won a premiership by now, he is that good a player !!

oldmancraigy

Rubbish rubbish.

So lets go over the team

Lowe- same as Lowrie.

You are completely drunk. Sober up and come back.

Proctor/ Widdop = star junior players who were recruited by the Storm back in the days of brown paper bags. And so on and so on.
That is the basic premise of the original post in this thread --> they bought up big, were forced to relinquish 1 of their big 4, but still had a championship group of youngsters who had signed goodness knows how many contracts!!

Here's the point "Einsteins" like you seem to miss: if you have extra (illegal) money to throw at youngsters, you can assemble a massive horde of them, and chances are some of them will pan out.

Only when the taint of those years is off the Storm will they be taken seriously as a legal team again.

SURE - it could've been sped up if the NRL had taken stronger measures against them - but they did what they did, and all we can do now is sit back and wait for the cheating team to vanish.

oldmancraigy

Nielson? Who knew of Tony Williams before Manly threw overs at him??? Im pretty sure Tony would have stayed at Parra had we had a "2nd contract" for him to sign

Im pretty sure we wanted to keep Lowrie, had a great 2009, why wouldnt we, of course we couldnt afford him a pay rise, but Storm at the time had no salary cap, so good as gold..

Heres the kicker. Cam Smith was thrown buckets to become the founding captain of the titans. Chance to be back home at QLD. Apparantly it was a touch and go decision, except for one massive uneven playing field ie Titans didnt have a 2nd contract for Smithy to sign. Without the cap rorting, Smith is outta there, Storm wouldnt be able to match the offer, it changes the whole dynamics of the club. Hell titans may have won a premiership by now, he is that good a player !!

Yeah but we're talking sense to morons! :lol:

Can't expect them to ever 'get it' - but it's worth putting it out there year after year until the "brown paper baggery" stain is off the club.

TheParraboy

Yeah but we're talking sense to morons! :lol:

Can't expect them to ever 'get it' - but it's worth putting it out there year after year until the "brown paper baggery" stain is off the club.

but, but, but they worked real hard :lol:

Parra Pride

Rubbish rubbish.

So lets go over the team

Lowe- same as Lowrie.

What the f**k did they rebuild? 12 of the 17 blokes who were there in 2009 were there on Sunday.

#RebuildingMyAss

for all we know NewsLtd could be paying money direct to players bank accounts, how would anyone know?
It could be happening at nearly every club, who's to say Pirtek aren't paying some of our players directly in cash? who would know? if the accountants of the company just write up amounts as losses for damaged stock etc, who would know? i bet the NRL wouldn't, they don't have access to every players bank accounts etc. But the Tax office could have a look.
And thats the thing out of the two clubs who got caught did the Tax Office look into it? they could be out $1000's of dollars in tax.

The reason why there would be contracts drawn up like they were at the storm would be because the player manager wants a cut of the extra money so to make sure he gets his cut and player gets his extra pay they draw up a contract and sign it.

I think there are heaps of clubs paying players outside the cap one way or another and that is mainly because the money they can earn elsewhere is so much more and the clubs want to keep thier star players.
With the new TV deal and increase in the salary cap there will be less need to cheat.
The team with the biggest spending sponsor/owner and best management/accountants will always have a very competitive side.

oldmancraigy

2009 Grand Final Team

1. Slater (Stayed)
2. Turner (Left)
3. Inglis (Left)
4. Chambers (left)
5. Neilsen (Stayed)
6. Finch (Left)
7. Cronk (Stayed)
8. Tolman (Left)
9. Smith (Stayed)
10. White (Left)
11. Blair (Left)
12. Hoffman (Left)
13. Johnson (Left)

14. Hinchcliffe (Stayed)
15. Lima (Left)
16. Tandy (Left)
17. Anderson (Left)

Failed attempt at comprehension.

Not quite sure how you can fail so hard when the work was all done for you in the original post - here's the relevant information for you:

Players who won a "legal" premiership last night, and who were assembled illegally (ie, joined the Storm in before they got busted for cheating)

1. Slater
3. Nielsen
4. Chambers
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman
13. Lowrie

14. Manu
15. Hinchcliffe

Correct. 13 of 17 were illegally recruited.

The fact you keep coming and posting in here means you know deep down it's an asterisk premiership and nobody is really taking it seriously. Just like the Doggies in 2004, everyone knows this is a farce.

Failed attempt at comprehension.

Not quite sure how you can fail so hard when the work was all done for you in the original post - here's the relevant information for you:

Correct. 13 of 17 were illegally recruited.

The fact you keep coming and posting in here means you know deep down it's an asterisk premiership and nobody is really taking it seriously. Just like the Doggies in 2004, everyone knows this is a farce.
Yep if he really didn't care and wasn't worried about what people though of his scummy club and their dodgy win he wouldn't even bother post in here.

:D:D

Have just spent the long weekend in the windy city, (couldn't think of anything worse than hanging around Sydney to see who won out of the 2 teams I hate the most) and what is obvious, is that no one give a shit about the storm down here. All I have seen all weekend are swans jerseys, caps, scarves etc everywhere, along with a lot of people in their Hawthorn gear. Over 3 days in the city, I saw 1 little bloke with his storm jersey on and that is it. All anyone was ever interested in was the game they follow like zealots. The storm are merely a marketing exercise for the NRL. No one cares here in Mexico...

you mean the storm are a marketing exercise for nine and foxtel having teams in more states means they can charge more for advertising
financially the storm are a white elephant without news ltd they would have folded years ago

swans parade
images

storm parade
crowd_al1-420x0.jpg

you mean the storm are a marketing exercise for nine and foxtel having teams in more states means they can charge more for advertising
financially the storm are a white elephant without news ltd they would have folded years ago

For Foxtel it's more about subscriptions rather than ads. Their part owners might well be evil bastards, but they are not in the business of throwing money away for fun. If they weren't getting a return (albeit indirect) on their outlay they would have cut the Storm loose ages ago. I'm sorry if I'm introducing a touch of commercial reality here....but if anyone (except Casper....sorry mate) would care to explain why News would continue to chuck money into something that has no return, I'd love to hear the explanation.

tax dodge? :?

No point losing $1 to save 23.4 cents (or whatever their effective tax rate is). And those strategies only work if the ultimate return is taxed at a lower rate than what you are effectively paying now.

It's worth remembering that most RL clubs are in the red if you simply look at the direct revenues and expenses of their football operations (before the NRL allocation for TV rights). So the question of whether they are a financial white elephant requires a bit more than looking at the Storm's attendances and P/L. The bigger picture questions is whether, in aggregate, the profits earned through all sources are higher with the Storm in the picture, and if so, whether that additional profit justifies the greater financial investment in the game. I don't know the answer to that, but I'd guess that the blokes spending the $$$ have a better idea.

Then again......maybe they are just dickheads.