What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 09/12?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Never asked you to forget mate, originally I commented on this thread because certain Eels fans were questioning the legitamacy of our 2012 premiership. I honestly don't blame you guys for having a strong hatred for Melbourne, but to act like they didn't win a premiership this year beacuse of what happened in the past is going to meet some reaction from opposing fans.

If it wasn't in doubt then it wouldn't be in doubt, would it?

Nobody has a problem with Manly or St George's recent premierships. That's because they're not cheats.

I understand exactly what your saying, but then shouldn't your problem be with the NRL for not pushing harder penalties on the storm? In 2012 what could we as a team done differently to make it a legitimate premiership in your eyes? We 100% played by the rules this year and won it fair & square by the letter of the law, I think this sums it up nicely: Don't hate the player hate the game.

We will hate both if you don't mind.

That's your perogative mate, but any attempt to label our team cheats in the future is going to keep meeting resistance, but I'm sure you already knew that. We don't deny the past, but we won't wear it in the future.

We will have to see how the future pans out.

As the Zen master said "we'll see".

LESStar58

Referee
You'll cop it forever from Eels fans because your shit club knocked us out of the finals three times in the four years you were cheating.

Can you understand we have a special hatred against you? Since 2005 the only team to have beaten us in the finals is Melbourne. Those years were the last chance for Hindmarsh, Cayless and Burt to win a premiership, and you cheating merkins stole that chance.

We will never forget.

The biggest regret I have out of those "missing years" is that we'll never know wether or not Melbourne were, in fact, capable of winning if they weren't cheating on the cap.

Meanwhile, Burt, Cayless and Hindmarsh had PLENTY of opportunities to win premierships. Even if you take 2006-2009 out of the equation, since 1998 they were easily one of the best teams on paper and folded like an accordion year in, year out... 1998, 2001 and 2005 being prime examples.

Parra Pride

Referee
The biggest regret I have out of those "missing years" is that we'll never know wether or not Melbourne were, in fact, capable of winning if they weren't cheating on the cap.

Meanwhile, Burt, Cayless and Hindmarsh had PLENTY of opportunities to win premierships. Even if you take 2006-2009 out of the equation, since 1998 they were easily one of the best teams on paper and folded like an accordion year in, year out... 1998, 2001 and 2005 being prime examples.

Us not winning the comp outside of those four years is not justification for your team cheating us out of possible premierships, we may not have won any, we may have won three, but we will never know because of your cheating club.

#WillNeverForget

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't forget '99.

Personally I think Hindy and co were chokers who were developed by the king choker Brian Smith. But the fact is the cheating Storm robbed us of the chance to see if they had learnt from their mistakes.

As for ability, the only time in the past 20 years that we've had a dominant player in the spine has been since '09 with Hayne at fullback. The fact your club let everyone go except their spine players (includIng Inglis) shows how important the spine is. In all those years we choked we had such winners as Penna, Drew and Tim Smith controlling our team.

Last edited:

No one is saying the didn't but 2007 and 2009 are also chances they might have had. . . .

2007 GF might have been Eels vs Sea Eagles. Now that would have bought a crowd and whipped up some attention. Then again we were without Cayless after a player from the Storm tore his Pec in a Chicken wing.

Apey

Staff member
This is one of my favourite threads ever.

I was getting a bit worried that there hadn't been many meltdowns over Storm winning in 2012 but I think oldmancraigy's in this thread is more than enough for me.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I understand exactly what your saying, but then shouldn't your problem be with the NRL for not pushing harder penalties on the storm? In 2012 what could we as a team done differently to make it a legitimate premiership in your eyes? We 100% played by the rules this year and won it fair & square by the letter of the law, I think this sums it up nicely: Don't hate the player hate the game.

Hey isn't this is what I've been saying that you should be on about.

I've said REPEATEDLY in the thread that I'm happy for the Storm to have won, since it's good for league. But that doesn't mean that they weren't assembled by cheating and that the premiership will carry that lack of shine like the Doggies in 2004.

In the end, YOU should be blaming the NRL, and I really don't care whose fault it is! Unfortunately it'll forever smell like a turd premiership....
If you don't believe me, just go post in the general NRL forum the following question "who thinks the Dogs cap rorting in 2002 helped them win the comp in 2004?"
Smells like a turd!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Ofcourse it has contributred, but you and I will never be able to judge just how much to the point where we can predict exactly what could have/should have/might have happened, so whats the point? We robbed your club of finding out that right and no punishment will ever make up for it in your eyes, but we are the 2012 premiers and thats whats going in the record books.

I agree - it'll forever be on paper.

I'll bet the 1999 one feels more like a genuine win for the fan who allows themselves to compare the 2!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Both breached the cap in their premiership years, but thats another story for another day, Warriors also went over by 800k one year but because they had a less than successful year so no one cares. Its not the act people hated, it was the result of it.

They cheated too - but everyone felt sorry for them because they were so bad at it...

:lol:

LESStar58

Referee
Hey isn't this is what I've been saying that you should be on about.

I've said REPEATEDLY in the thread that I'm happy for the Storm to have won, since it's good for league. But that doesn't mean that they weren't assembled by cheating and that the premiership will carry that lack of shine like the Doggies in 2004.

In the end, YOU should be blaming the NRL, and I really don't care whose fault it is! Unfortunately it'll forever smell like a turd premiership....
If you don't believe me, just go post in the general NRL forum the following question "who thinks the Dogs cap rorting in 2002 helped them win the comp in 2004?"
Smells like a turd!

I'm sure if you talk to Dogs and Storm fans their respective premiership victories have PLENTY of shine on them.

LESStar58

Referee
I agree - it'll forever be on paper.

I'll bet the 1999 one feels more like a genuine win for the fan who allows themselves to compare the 2!

There is no comparison between 1999 and 2012... 2012 is sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET after everyone said we'd never win another legitimate premiership.

As The Libertines once sang;

I get along just singing my song, people tell me I'm wrong...

*nah, nah, nah, nah*

F**K 'EM!

Latest posts