What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong rumour.. BMoz, gone

hazzbeen

Bench
Considering hunt played I think one game since Mary took over not sure he is classed as protected. Andthat could of been as much about team morale as anything else. Groat never got a run in first grade and was prob on minimum coin, Green again barely got a look in would be on minimum as well. And I don't see anything that would indicate we are "good" to let Morris and merrin go. There are plenty of good reasons to criticise the management, I don't understand why people need to make stuff up.

Damo what I am trying to get across is if true about Morris and Merrin is we keep a lot of players on contracts that are not up to playing 1st grade. Free up the dead wood so they can buy a couple of big forwards ....we cant have another 3 years of not playing finals footy......

possm

Coach
If this is true, there are plenty of fringe players we can try to offload. Also, if true, it makes the re-signing of Ah Mau more stupid. If you know you are reaching the cap limit and have Australian players to top up, why would you re-sign a plodder like ah mau and risk losing your best players?

Ah Mau is probable at the bottom end of salary; say 100k - 150k. If we offload a player of this worth we have to replace him with a player very close to this salary range.

The problem is with players on mid-range salary and high range salary. For example, we could most probably get more value for money out of players like Matta Utia and Runciman in the Centres than the Beale / Farrell centre combination. The problem is that Beale and Farrell are contracted for 2015 so unless they have found a club and want to leave, there is very little benefit in moving them on. Maybe a contract with the Cutters on the same coin is a way of resolving the problem.

As a centre, Dugan is way over priced and so he should return to fullback; a position which could demand the salary he is on. Harrison's contract is up on 1 Nov and so he is an ideal player to let go as he would be a mid-range player on say 250k - 300k and could be replaced with one of our promising juniors (Bird) who would be on a lower salary thus achieving an actual saving. Unlike moving Morris or Merrin on, the Bird for Harrison move may actually give the Dragons more capability.

The Board, Doust and Price are responsible for the miss-management of the Dragon's salary cap. Let's hope, with our new salary cap manager, we can resolve these problems without losing Morris and Merrin.

Maybe we should consider contracting some of our un-wanted players we no longer need with the Cutters.

borat

Bench
Just on Dugan at centre, it's just another example of the mismanagement of the squad. He's probably the most expensive centre in the game now as you said but more than that it has left us without a decent fullback and has pushed Farrell, on reasonable money at the very least, out of the position we originally signed him for, possibly out of the top 17 altogether.

Agreed, although you can't really blame Mary for Price's mistakes. I would think that it was envisaged that Widdop alone could guide the team around the park which has turned out to be wrong leaving us with too much salary cap invested in the halves.

Mary has to commit to what direction he takes the team and I doubt spending more on Morris is part of the plan. IMO as much as Dugan wants to play centre, send him back to fullback. It doesn't harm GI's chances of being selected at centre for QLD. Then look hard at the centres and decide who we move on out of Farrell & Beale or both. I wouldn't object either to moving on Widdop for the right price as I don't think we are getting value there.
As for the rest, Morris is consistently one of our best players, regardless of position at least he's justifying his pay somewhat. It's not about who is our long term fullback anyway, because Morris is still signed next year and we have no one lined up. I think the reason we are even discussing Morris because he's actually a player that other clubs would be interested in. I don't know how many clubs are lining up to sign players like Hunt, Beale or Farrell (unless we heavily subsidised them), especially now with Dugan at centre.

I disagree.

There is no other club after BMoz for that money because the dogs need a fullback and are willing to pay for it. I think its clear, and I don't begrudge Brett for doing so, that he will sign on for the Dogs in November if we don't offer a decent upgrade. This next contract will be his last chance for big $$$ so you can't really blame him.

My point is that it isn't a simple decision as to pay the extra $$$ because he is a club legend. The squad performed poorly last year and to improve something has got to change. IMO if we upgraded his contract to 600k, shipped out a player and rolled out essentially the same team next year would be a mistake

Honah Lee

Juniors
Possible scenario may have been:

Dogs:
"We need a new fullback - given there are no quality ones on the market, who can we hit up?"

Josh:
"Have a word to Brett - he may be up for it? I'll even have a quiet word to him about it."

Dogs:
"Good idea - we'll approach his manager"

Dogs go to Brett's Manager:
"Listen, we need a new fullback and we think Brett will fit in nicely - we're willing to pay him $600K for 2015 and beyond if he can get a release"

Brett's Manager to Brett:
"$600k to play fullback at the dogs - reckon we could get a release?"

Brett:
*thinking to himself* "Hell, $600k on a 3 or 4 year deal will set me up nicely and see me close to retirement - would be a great deal.

Brett to Dragons:
"I've got an opportunity to make $600k elsewhere. Can you equal that or come close?"

Dragons:
"Sorry Brett, can't match that - not for a winger. We'll see what we can do but $600K is not going to be on the table - especially not for the last year of your current contract".

Brett:
*thinks to himself*"Hmmm - might have to leave the Dragons if I want to make some extra cash"

bottle

Coach
Well aside from anything else that is a cool user name.
The land where Jackie and Puff frolicked.

jenninga

First Grade

Dogs:
"We need a new fullback - given there are no quality ones on the market, who can we hit up?"

Josh:
"Have a word to Brett - he may be up for it? I'll even have a quiet word to him about it."

Dogs:

"Listen, we need a new fullback and we think Brett will fit in nicely - we're willing to pay him $600K for 2015 and beyond if he can get a release"

Brett:
*thinking to himself* "Hell, $600k on a 3 or 4 year deal will set me up nicely and see me close to retirement - would be a great deal.

Brett to Dragons:
"I've got an opportunity to make $600k elsewhere. Can you equal that or come close?"

Dragons:
"Sorry Brett, can't match that - not for a winger. We'll see what we can do but $600K is not going to be on the table - especially not for the last year of your current contract".

Brett:
*thinks to himself*"Hmmm - might have to leave the Dragons if I want to make some extra cash"

Was possm there with you

TruSaint

Referee

Dogs:

Josh:

Dogs:

Brett:

Brett to Dragons:

Dragons:

Brett:

Not bad for a first post.
Welcome aboard.

watatank

Coach
Agreed, although you can't really blame Mary for Price's mistakes. I would think that it was envisaged that Widdop alone could guide the team around the park which has turned out to be wrong leaving us with too much salary cap invested in the halves.

Mary has to commit to what direction he takes the team and I doubt spending more on Morris is part of the plan. IMO as much as Dugan wants to play centre, send him back to fullback. It doesn't harm GI's chances of being selected at centre for QLD. Then look hard at the centres and decide who we move on out of Farrell & Beale or both. I wouldn't object either to moving on Widdop for the right price as I don't think we are getting value there.

I disagree.

There is no other club after BMoz for that money because the dogs need a fullback and are willing to pay for it. I think its clear, and I don't begrudge Brett for doing so, that he will sign on for the Dogs in November if we don't offer a decent upgrade. This next contract will be his last chance for big $$$ so you can't really blame him.

My point is that it isn't a simple decision as to pay the extra $$$ because he is a club legend. The squad performed poorly last year and to improve something has got to change. IMO if we upgraded his contract to 600k, shipped out a player and rolled out essentially the same team next year would be a mistake

I would say that considering all the halfbacks signed on one year deals it's pretty obvious that the club was waiting to sign someone to partner Widdop. As for getting a replacement for Widdop, it's just not going to happen, we will have to pay big money for anyone reasonable, let alone good like we have to for any key position player, or wait three years for someone to develop.

As for moving Farrell and Beale on, someone has to be willing to take them on, just like someone has to want to take Hunt off our hands for us to let him go. That's why we have to look at moving on one of our best players.

I'm not talking about upgrading his deal now, I'm talking about letting him go early. If he wants to sign with the Bulldogs that's his prerogative but he can join them in 2016. It looks like that we might actually consider letting him go to free up cap space and I have to wonder how we actually got to that point.

getsmarty

Immortal
Brett Morris overture under NRL scrutiny

By MICHAEL CARAYANNIS

Sept. 18, 2014, 9:26 p.m.

The Dragons say Brett Morris has been approached by a rival club to break his contract. Picture: CHRIS LANE

RUGBY LEAGUE
The NRL is set to investigate St George Illawarra's claims that a rival club approached Brett Morris despite the winger being contracted to the Dragons for 2015.
The Dragons released a statement this week accusing another club of enticing Morris to break his contract after Fairfax Media revealed the Test flyer had sought a release from the final year of his deal to join twin brother Josh at the Bulldogs in 2015.
Part of St George Illawarra's statement read that the Dragons "are aware that another club has offered Brett Morris more money than his contract sum at the Dragons for the 2015 season".
The Dragons also said there were "no rules that prevent player managers from talking to other clubs about contracted players".
While rival clubs are allowed to negotiate with Morris for the 2016 season, they are not able to entice him to break his contract a year early.
An NRL spokesman said they had "noted" the Dragons statement.
"We are making inquiries with the Dragons to determine whether the matter needs to be taken any further," he said.
Bulldogs officials would not comment about the Morris situation. It is understood the Bulldogs plan to reunite the brothers, offering about $150,000 more per season for Morris to play fullback at the club on a four-year deal.
Recently appointed full-time St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has inherited a squad with salary cap woes.
McGregor met his playing squad individually for end-of-season reviews last week.
McGregor handed Morris the captaincy for two games late in the season when regular skipper Ben Creagh was injured.
Already, representative forward Trent Merrin has spoken out at his frustration at not being able to secure a long-term deal at the club, as the cap bites hard.
Merrin, who is contracted until the end of next season, has had no joy in his bid to ink a long-term deal at the club where he debuted in 2009.
St George Illawarra forwards Jack Stockwell and Dan Hunt, and centre Dylan Farrell are believed to have been told to find new clubs.
Meanwhile, Cronulla have signed promising Dragons under-20s talent Jack Bird on a two-year deal.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2570409/nrl-may-probe-brett-morris-overture/?cs=302

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So if they are offering 150k more than Saints should have that covered under the Concessions for long players. Saints can offer BMoz 600k and 150k will be excluded from the cap and therefore only 450k will be part of the cap. Am I missing something here or what? Surely they can find a sponsor to cover this. Brett is probably their most marketable player.

Bulldogs investigated? Yeah right. What a load of rubbish that is.

Didn't the Dogs offer Fifita big dollars and then when he went to sign the amount was much less? THen the NRL was going to investigate that as well? What about the Barba chaos on how they covered everything up? Nothing came out of those "Ïnvestigations".

some11

Referee
Didn't the Dogs offer Fifita big dollars and then when he went to sign the amount was much less? THen the NRL was going to investigate that as well? What about the Barba chaos on how they covered everything up? Nothing came out of those "Ïnvestigations".

From what I understand Fifita's four year contract was tiered up each year with its base total being a lot less than what was agreed upon in the MOU, whether or not they guaranteed the difference in third-party agreements (which isn't allowed) is unknown.

Ultimately they had grounds to tear up his contract after this:

?If I could go back now, I wish I chose rugby and then I wouldn?t be getting all the sh*t I?ve been catching now,? Fifita said in an interview. ?I grew up playing rugby, so it was one of the best things.?

Fifita then admitted his ?heart?s still in Cronulla and it always will be? and claimed ?I may end up back here in four years? time??.

They way Barba was handled by the Bulldogs and the NRL was shady to say the least.

BennyV

Referee
So if they are offering 150k more than Saints should have that covered under the Concessions for long players. Saints can offer BMoz 600k and 150k will be excluded from the cap and therefore only 450k will be part of the cap. Am I missing something here or what? Surely they can find a sponsor to cover this. Brett is probably their most marketable player.

Bulldogs investigated? Yeah right. What a load of rubbish that is.

Yeah, you are missing 2 things actually, Creagh and Nightingale - we have $200k for long term player allowance to split between these 3 guys, we spend 3/4 of that on Moz and it creates issues with Benny and Flo.

As for sponsorship...well, thats just incompetence and poor business, not being able to pull a third party arrangement for our most marketable player...

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
http://www.nospam9/nrl/forans-gone-to-the-dogs-15008/ Morris and Foran? how can be under the cap.
Foran's gone to the Dogs?

SMH.com.au
– September 19, 2014Posted in: Brett Morris, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Kieran Foran, Manly Sea Eagles, News, St George Illawarra Dragons
kieran-foran1.jpg

The talk has been everywhere this week that Manly Sea Eagles five-eighth Kieran Foran is headed to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2016 – which is intriguing given both sides square off in Saturday night's semi-final.
At the very least, the Sea Eagles will have to move heaven and earth to keep him when his deal is up next year, such is his frustration at the direction of the club.
ADVERTISEMENT
Canterbury coach Des Hasler went close to convincing Foran to follow him to Belmore three years ago, before senior Manly players stepped in and persuaded Foran to stay.
Hasler is all but certain to snap up Dragons winger Brett Morris, who would be used at fullback. The Dragons need to move players because of some major issues with their salary cap - partly because of the knock-on effect of snapping up Benji Marshall on a three-year deal earlier this year.

Read more: http://www.nospam9/nrl/forans-gone-to-the-dogs-15008/#ixzz3Di4wv0ea

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So the Dogs have room in the cap for Foran and Morris? Wow. And Saints can only afford Benji, Widdop and Dugan on big contracts? Nothing suss there it seems. NOT

250k between Morris, Night and Creagh. I think Nighty and BMoz would deserve half of the 250k. Creagh is not chased by other clubs and I don't think he ever will. If so not for the cash that BMoz and Nighty can demand on the open market. Creagh would probably attract offers of 500k at best. Give Night and BMoz 100 or 125k each out of the concessions. Too easy.

Como Connection

First Grade
Morris gone next season if the Dogs agree to the terms the Dragons want to release him early.
I have my man checking what those terms are.
FACT.