What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong rumour.. BMoz, gone

Shulman

Juniors
600k for a winger? How is it the clubs fault if he wants to leave. Just go back and watch the 2010 grand final. Club needs to tell him to f**k off

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I find it hard to believe that we are near to exceeding the cap.

I think it's all smoke and mirrors........the reality is that we probably don't have the money to spend near our cap.

We certainly can't afford to offload players like Beale and Farrell. Unlike Parramatta, we can't afford to pay them out.

Why are we struggling financially? That's probably for another thread.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The various salary cap concessions are probably not the issue...........we may not have the money to pay these higher end contracts.

The Damo

Juniors
Ok we are good to let Morris Merrin go . Keep K Stanley who should have gone 2 years ago. Harrison have not seen him play one good game. Hunt well he is protected, N Green, M Groat, not up to it. Beale to me has been very overrated . We sign Mary to a 3 year deal who supposedly did not want the job and what we have is a complete shamble ............Good to see the club moving forward ........

Considering hunt played I think one game since Mary took over not sure he is classed as protected. Andthat could of been as much about team morale as anything else. Groat never got a run in first grade and was prob on minimum coin, Green again barely got a look in would be on minimum as well. And I don't see anything that would indicate we are "good" to let Morris and merrin go. There are plenty of good reasons to criticise the management, I don't understand why people need to make stuff up.

bottle

Coach
I find it hard to believe that we are near to exceeding the cap.

I think it's all smoke and mirrors........the reality is that we probably don't have the money to spend near our cap.

We certainly can't afford to offload players like Beale and Farrell. Unlike Parramatta, we can't afford to pay them out.

Why are we struggling financially? That's probably for another thread.

Every club receives a grant from the NRL that covers, and indeed exceeds, the cap. There is a mandated percentage or amount of that grant that must be spent on playing staff. I can't recall what that figure or amount is, and I can't track it down in what I've read (can anyone help?).

The upshot of that is that there is enough funding to cover the cap. They've done this to ensure that every club can be competitive in cap terms. It's the funding extraneous to the cap that is the issue (3rd party sponsorships eg), as well as the funding of other operational areas.

We have one poster who keeps asserting that we don't spend all our cap grant and instead spirit it away somewhere, and now there is the implication that we don't have enough money to cover the cap. Neither are true.

hardbaby

Coach
600k is too much for a winger. I'd hate to see Morris at the Berries but we shouldn't match that. But we should make his release contingent on what we need which is big, angry forwards. They have quite a few. Give us one plus cash.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Every club receives a grant from the NRL that covers, and indeed exceeds, the cap. There is a mandated percentage or amount of that grant that must be spent on playing staff. I can't recall what that figure or amount is, and I can't track it down in what I've read (can anyone help?).

The upshot of that is that there is enough funding to cover the cap. They've done this to ensure that every club can be competitive in cap terms. It's the funding extraneous to the cap that is the issue (3rd party sponsorships eg), as well as the funding of other operational areas.

We have one poster who keeps asserting that we don't spend all our cap grant and instead spirit it away somewhere, and now there is the implication that we don't have enough money to cover the cap. Neither are true.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Have a look under the section 'what players can earn outside the salary cap'. That's probably how the rich clubs can afford to keep who they want and still able to pursue any player they so wish for.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Should be a concession in place for a locally produced junior or juniors as well. It would make the game far more enjoyable to follow.

They should add another $200k if father and son played for the same team...

TheViking

Juniors
600k is too much for a winger. I'd hate to see Morris at the Berries but we shouldn't match that. But we should make his release contingent on what we need which is big, angry forwards. They have quite a few. Give us one plus cash.

I think cash is much more likely seeing that's what Dogs have done with Barba and Broncos.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I doubt very much it is a salary cap issue. More likely a Jerry Maguire negotiation issue, ie "show me the money."

Quite frankly, that's business in sport. Loyalty is a cheap luxury sitting alone at the bus stop. Ugly as it is, but we should be immune to it by now.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Both Morris and Merrin are contracted for 2015
Deep down i doubt neither really want to go , but are asking for a bigger slice of the pie
The Dragons presently have a hot u/20s squad of which they are trying to secure the majority of these for the future, inc J Bird
Morris is angling for a Final contract as he approaches 30 , while Merrin has become something of a super sub but is still demanding top coin
The fact that Marshall Dugan and Widdop were paid overs to bring them to the Club hasnt helped with negotiations
Perhaps we all need to take a step back , and see how things unfold
If they want to go else where in 2016 , chasing more cash than they maybe worth...sadly..let them go . :(
The Future of any Club is the youngsters of the future coming through
The main objective of the Dragons recruitment must be for some quality props, which isnt an easy task
Perhaps Dave Klemmer (Dogs) Ryan James ( Titans) Shannon Boyd (Raiders) could be options .
All have plenty of size , grunt and youth on their side
Mullholland and Co could be well advised to make some inquiries !! ;-)

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
Both Morris and Merrin are contracted for 2015
Deep down i doubt neither really want to go , but are asking for a bigger slice of the pie
The Dragons presently have a hot u/20s squad of which they are trying to secure the majority of these for the future, inc J Bird
Morris is angling for a Final contract as he approaches 30 , while Merrin has become something of a super sub but is still demanding top coin
The fact that Marshall Dugan and Widdop were paid overs to bring them to the Club hasnt helped with negotiations
Perhaps we all need to take a step back , and see how things unfold
If they want to go else where in 2016 , chasing more cash than they maybe worth...sadly..let them go . :(
The Future of any Club is the youngsters of the future coming through
The main objective of the Dragons recruitment must be for some quality props, which isnt an easy task
Perhaps Dave Klemmer (Dogs) Ryan James ( Titans) Shannon Boyd (Raiders) could be options .
All have plenty of size , grunt and youth on their side
Mullholland and Co could be well advised to make some inquiries !! ;-)

Highland Saint

Juniors
I doubt very much it is a salary cap issue. More likely a Jerry Maguire negotiation issue, ie "show me the money."

Quite frankly, that's business in sport. Loyalty is a cheap luxury sitting alone at the bus stop. Ugly as it is, but we should be immune to it by now.

Agreed Willow, you cant fight the lure of cash. But what does our club offer to make it appealing to prospective players? Premiership possibilities? Strong financial backing and sponsorship? Clear vision from an inspirational leader? We've got one of the largest nurseries but we're finding it hard to keep the better juniors of late

blacksafake

First Grade

I heard Brent Read(aust newspaper) on MMM last week say that his mail was that the Dragons are already over the cap for next season which is behind the need to offload players.The downsize of this if true is no chance of any new signings(unless the usual bargain basement) or upgrading contracts.

dwight12

Juniors
I heard Brent Read(aust newspaper) on MMM last week say that his mail was that the Dragons are already over the cap for next season which is behind the need to offload players.The downsize of this if true is no chance of any new signings(unless the usual bargain basement) or upgrading contracts.

If this is true, there are plenty of fringe players we can try to offload. Also, if true, it makes the re-signing of Ah Mau more stupid. If you know you are reaching the cap limit and have Australian players to top up, why would you re-sign a plodder like ah mau and risk losing your best players?

Saint Anger

Juniors
Simply put we need to work harder on our "brown paper bag" technique.

The shit stains over in Bondi and Belmore are raping us in this area.

Latest posts