What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong rumour.. BMoz, gone

DUB888

Juniors
Canterbury comes calling but Brett Morris is not for sale, say St George Illawarra

St George Illawarra have accused a rival NRL club of tapping up Brett Morris, claiming the club has offered their Test winger a contract for next season despite Morris being contracted to the Dragons.
The Dragons released a statement on Tuesday after it was revealed that Morris had sought a release from the final year of his contract to join the Bulldogs for 2015.
While rival clubs are allowed to negotiate with Morris for the 2016 season, they are not able to entice him to break his contract a year early.
St George Illawarra did not refute claims that Morris had sought a release but insisted Morris had not been "offered to other clubs, nor have they suggested that he test his market value external to the Dragons".
"The club understands that there are no rules that prevent player managers from talking to other clubs about contracted players," the statement read. "The Dragons are aware that another club has offered Brett Morris more money than his contract sum at the Dragons for the 2015 season."
It is understood that rival club is Canterbury, which wishes to reunite Brett and Josh Morris. It is understood the Bulldogs are hopeful of luring Morris through a four-year deal worth about $600,000 from next year. Bulldogs officials would not comment about St George Illawarra's claims.
Dragons teammate Trent Merrin backed Morris to do what's best for him. "I've love to see him stay, it's home for him," Merrin said. "But at the end of the day it's his life and it's his choice, no one can control that. He's got to do what's best for him and his family.
"Definitely from a mate and player [perspective], it would be sad to see him go. But in saying that, you see it from the side that he's doing what's best for him.
"He debuted here, and whenever you talk about the Dragons, Brett is the first name to come out of people's mouths. It's definitely going to be sad if it ends up we have to see him go. Like everything, life moves on and you move on from it. It's like any job or life in general. If you're not happy with something, you've got to move on."
Salary cap constraints could force Morris and a host of other players out of the club. Merrin said it was something coach Paul McGregor had to do.
"It's not something he wants to do either, it's just the position he's been left with at the club," Merrin said. "I know him – the person he is, the last thing he'd want to do is see players who are the heart and soul of the club move on.
"It's just the position he's been left with at the club. It's something he has to do as the head coach."
Merrin and the rest of the Dragons squad met McGregor for a review into this year's season last week. Merrin described the meeting as "honest".
"He's got goals and it's exciting," Merrin said. "It's good to hear some positive things happening for the club. It's definitely something he's looking forward to and he wants to turn things around at the club. We'll all buy into it and happy days ahead."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-say-st-george-illawarra-20140916-10ht9r.html

Merrin no guarantee to stay a Dragon

A candid Trent Merrin has admitted he's considered what life away from St George Illawarra may be like as he battles to agree to terms on a new deal with the club.

The 24-year-old NSW forward is off contract at the end of the 2015 season and keen for a new agreement to be signed off as soon as possible.

The Dragons are struggling with salary cap pressure but cannot afford to lose their best forward with Brisbane, Manly and Canberra amongst those monitoring his situation.

If Brett Morris is granted a release to join Canterbury it would free up money to help keep Merrin but the 24-year-old admits he's unsure where he'll be playing in 2016 with other clubs permitted to make him offers from November 1.

Advertisement
"I love the south coast, it's where I am from and I love playing in the Red V. It's something that is very close to my heart," Merrin said.

"In saying that, I have to work out what's best for my future.

"These things are always like a game of tennis ... I love it (at the Dragons) but I want it sorted."

The mobile Merrin, who is capable of playing in the front and back row, was a member of the 2010 side that won the premiership and the NSW team that won this year's State of Origin series.

He said there's been no contact with any other club, but hinted he may have to look elsewhere if a suitable deal cannot be agreed.

"It's my life and everyone wants to have support behind them and I want to get it played out straight away," he said.

"I think everyone thinks about it (moving clubs). You play out every option in your head and you run with the best one.

"The Dragons is home and where I want to put in all my effort but at the end of the day I have to do what's best for me."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/merrin-no-guarantee-to-stay-a-dragon-20140917-3fw4w.html

Last edited:

Gomarchin

Juniors
I can see Mary adding this to his 'Book of Excuses' next year.

"Yeah we're struggling this year - you don't replace origin and Australian players overnight. We lost Brett and Trent at the end of 2014 and we've missed them."

It's all part of his plan to make sure he sees out the 3 year contract...

TheRev

Coach
the issue with Merrin is likely that he sees. himself as a top class international forward, but he's really a bench NSW forward at best.

He is capable of more I think we all agree with that, but he's yet to reach that level, but if hes having trouble agreeing to terms, it can only be because he's squeezing the club for more, which is frustrating because we need all the dollars we can to entice some other quality forwards into the club, that's the only way we get out of this rut were in.

twinkletoes

Juniors
My reading of the situation is this...we are under enormous salary cap pressures at the moment for reasons discussed to death. Both Morris and Merrin want more money to stay, which may or may not be possible..I'm not privy to our financial position and who is going to be offloaded. It would seem there will not be any major new signings in the forwards for next year because of salary cap issues and also the lack of real talent available at this stage...all major signings having been completed already.

I think we will be stuck with a rebuilding phase over the next 3 years with a number of the young Cutters and NYC players being gradually introduced to first grade...and there is some exceptional talent there. Players such as Creagh, Nightingale, Marshall etc are coming to the end of their careers and will retire in the next couple, freeing up some salary cap space. By that time the younger players will have developed into first grade players and can then be supplemented by some selective, quality signings.

I would not be expecting big things next year but should see some progress the following. All assuming that Mary is up to the job..and that time will tell.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
BMoz and Merrin are contracted to the club for next season so they should not be under scrutiny in 2015. If they are to relieve pressure there is Beale, Farrell, Harrison, etc that they can release not BMoz and Merrin.

Plus with BMoz he is a 10+ years player by 2015 so they should be able to offer him more than other clubs with some concessions in place for the Salary Cap. What a joke if there is no concessions in place but I am sure there is something like 100k which can be offered extra that is not part of the cap.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
BMoz has been at the Dragons for 10+ years. Do the Dragons get any concessions for him to keep him longer and pay more that is not included in the cap or is it that rule just a myth?

grouch

First Grade
How do you know unless it happens? Penrith were criticised and they ignored it now look at them.

Time will tell...as good as Morris and Merrin are maybe by no fault of their own they have become toxic to the club themselves and need to be moved on.

Let's judge next year same time.
Penrith had competent people in charge - better than competent, they were experienced and accomplished. Gould and Cleary. We have an L plater coach with zero experience and a shitty resume of failure.

If Merrin and morris (local juniors and current origin players) are considered toxic then the club is in worse shape than even I feared.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
I believe it applies to the Roosters, Bulldogs ,Broncos and possibly Melbourne.The Dragons unfortunately are not sure.

Lancelot:crazy::crazy::crazy:

TheViking

Juniors
The thing people keep missing. Who the hell want's Harrison, Beale, Hunt, Farrell etc on the money they are on? If they are offered to a club they will want half their pay paid...

Becoming Parra paying players to play somewhere else.

Morris seems pretty keen to get out and go to the Dogs seeing he has said nothing, the fact Dragons didn't deny he has asked for a release. Merrin still sounds like he is interested in staying. For the right price.

bottle

Coach
Covered this in another thread Slippery.
The rule has been amended to now cover players that have been at the club for 6+ years.
From memory the amount is $250K per club in 2015, rising to $300K in 2016.
I assume some would be apportioned to Creagh and Nightingale as well, so the full amount is probably not available to use for Brett.
Definitely not a myth, although needs to be amended to support clubs that produce juniors more effectively.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Penrith had competent people in charge - better than competent, they were experienced and accomplished. Gould and Cleary. We have an L plater coach with zero experience and a shitty resume of failure.

Spot on Grouch. There are many people on here that think we can do a 'Penrith'. It's not that simple. You need people that have the experience and man management skills to do that.

All I have seen from Mary is someone that needs to tell everyone that he is a 'straight shooter' and quick to offer up an excuse. Actions speak louder and right now our two BEST players want out which speaks volumes for his 'man management' skills.

hazzbeen

Bench
Ok we are good to let Morris Merrin go . Keep K Stanley who should have gone 2 years ago. Harrison have not seen him play one good game. Hunt well he is protected, N Green, M Groat, not up to it. Beale to me has been very overrated . We sign Mary to a 3 year deal who supposedly did not want the job and what we have is a complete shamble ............Good to see the club moving forward ........

Redvpassion

Juniors
Spot on Grouch. There are many people on here that think we can do a 'Penrith'. It's not that simple. You need people that have the experience and man management skills to do that.

All I have seen from Mary is someone that needs to tell everyone that he is a 'straight shooter' and quick to offer up an excuse. Actions speak louder and right now our two BEST players want out which speaks volumes for his 'man management' skills.

But we do have that already.

Name is Petros Doust. No relation to Peter Doust. This person is amazing, he never pays overs for any players and can manage the cap to a Tee. Also never will buy any fringe players that will take up the cap for no reason and our club will never be in turmoil and we would keep our rep players too. Not as stupid as the current CEO we have now. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

TonyTrugett

Juniors
I remember a few years ago matt cooper was asked about contract negotiations. He answered to the effect that he wasnt going anywhere. He was then criticized by some in the media saying that his manager would be blowing up for not talking himself up. Cant win I suppose.

Minh

First Grade
Should be a concession in place for a locally produced junior or juniors as well. It would make the game far more enjoyable to follow.

I wonder what state Penrith or the Roosters, say, would be in if Doust had been at the helm of those clubs over the past few years. Pretty obvious, I suspect. So why does the board continue to renew his contract? At what stage do they stop and think: we want the best available administrator to run this club.

Who the f#*k am I kidding? Can't even get the due diligence right on a head coach position.

twinkletoes

Juniors
So why does the board continue to renew his contract? At what stage do they stop and think: we want the best available administrator to run this club.

Because I think he is on the Board

j0nesy

Bench
Wow!!! The number of people on here that go off like fire crackers based on a few rumours and media reports astounds me.

Fact - Morris can get more with another club but is contracted to us for 2015

In my opinion it is likely that Morris will stay with us in 2015 and I hope he does, it is possible he may not. I have no idea as to the likelihood of Morris staying beyond 2015 that is entirely up to him, again I hope he does as do most supporters. If you can believe the media reports it would appear the club would also like him to stay and are working on that. That's all you can ask at this stage. Give Mary and Mullholland half a chance, it seems they have inherited one hell of a mess and these things take time to address.

The sky is not falling in, but it does appear that the club has got itself in mess administratively and financially. I don't think this mess can be pinned on Mary, and the appointment of Mullholand seems like a good first step. Time and patience...

Dragonbaal

Juniors
Wow!!! The number of people on here that go off like fire crackers based on a few rumours and media reports astounds me.

Fact - Morris can get more with another club but is contracted to us for 2015

In my opinion it is likely that Morris will stay with us in 2015 and I hope he does, it is possible he may not. I have no idea as to the likelihood of Morris staying beyond 2015 that is entirely up to him, again I hope he does as do most supporters. If you can believe the media reports it would appear the club would also like him to stay and are working on that. That's all you can ask at this stage. Give Mary and Mullholland half a chance, it seems they have inherited one hell of a mess and these things take time to address.

The sky is not falling in, but it does appear that the club has got itself in mess administratively and financially. I don't think this mess can be pinned on Mary, and the appointment of Mullholand seems like a good first step. Time and patience...

Good for you jonesy-a voice of reason-I am not over the moon at what state our once great club has got itself into, but I still luv them-and if Brett wants to go for more money and we cannot afford to offer him more because we have to try to buy FRONT ROWERS that everyone knows we need, then that is the way it will have to be.

Maybe we could let Brett play Fullback and then he would be able to command 600K but it is way overs for a winger even though sometimes he takes the ball up more than the forwards

Latest posts