What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong rumour.. BMoz, gone

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Dude, actually I don't think it's that hard. He's under contract for 2015. He can do whatever he wants to get a better deal for 2016, and if someone makes him a better offer, then you might have to say "thanks for the great memories BMoz, but we're coming out of a shocking period of mismanaged transition and we're going to need that cap space to strengthen key positions and we've already lined up current SOO Player X and highly rated 22 year old Player Y".

But that isn't happening. What's happening is Morris wants to get out of his contract a year early because we've become a basket case. We've got nobody lined up to replace him, which means that our shit team is immediately a whole lot shitter. And the team that wants him and is one of our most hated rivals and we know that they're about one world class back away from being a genuine premiership contender in 2015.

The only way to avoid slipping further into basketcase-ness is to draw a firm line and say "Brett, you're not going anywhere until we've got your replacements in the bag and C****rbury, you can just f*** off and try and win the comp with Mitch Brown at fullback. Good luck with that."

That cut deeply haha!

Thank f**k he is off to Sharkies next year and Rona is on his way. Hopefully with BMoz or Snake :p

The blokes post above I agree with though. If he does want out it's best for you guys to throw a solid winger on the wing and throw BMoz money at McGuire, Mason and maybe another decent forward. Would take your pack from shit to solid with Merrin, Thompson, Frizzel etc.

We all go through it, we did it with Barba. If he wants out it will be best for you. Though being honest I wouldn't be suprised if it's his manager seeing a pay upgrade for Dragons. It's what he did to us with J Morris via your mob.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Dude, actually I don't think it's that hard. He's under contract for 2015. He can do whatever he wants to get a better deal for 2016, and if someone makes him a better offer, then you might have to say "thanks for the great memories BMoz, but we're coming out of a shocking period of mismanaged transition and we're going to need that cap space to strengthen key positions and we've already lined up current SOO Player X and highly rated 22 year old Player Y".

But that isn't happening. What's happening is Morris wants to get out of his contract a year early because we've become a basket case. We've got nobody lined up to replace him, which means that our shit team is immediately a whole lot shitter. And the team that wants him and is one of our most hated rivals and we know that they're about one world class back away from being a genuine premiership contender in 2015.

The only way to avoid slipping further into basketcase-ness is to draw a firm line and say "Brett, you're not going anywhere until we've got your replacements in the bag and C****rbury, you can just f*** off and try and win the comp with Mitch Brown at fullback. Good luck with that."

Mate, all valid points you have mentioned. No argument from me on anything there. I also think we should stick to our guns and tell him he is wearing the RED V in 2015.
The same thing could well be going on at other clubs next season before June 30 and an opportunity to pick up a handy replacement and then maybe allow a release is a strong possibility.
I'm trying to look for answers and hopefully explain a few things on cap management to some of the more emotive and less knowledgeable posters and not having any luck it seems. You and others are right on what has been a terrible past 3 years. Once again no argument and to think I am happy about our past 3 years is foolish. I appreciate your thoughts.

grouch

First Grade
I'm trying to look for answers and hopefully explain a few things on cap management to some of the more emotive and less knowledgeable posters and not having any luck it seems.
So you're adding condescension to your list of admirable traits. What a twat.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
So you're adding condescension to your list of admirable traits. What a twat.

If you're including yourself in that list, definitely yes.
You have yet to offer anything of substance, more insults and attacks...keep trying. One day you'll get the hang of this. :D

dragonreddy

Juniors
Anyway, all attacks aside, this BMoz issue is going to come to a head soon. Imagine you were the head of this company and a rival company offered your employee more money...much more.
Now I'm not siding with anyone here but here are some facts:
- BMoz is already the highest paid winger in the comp and has a year to run on his current contract.
- One current NRL winger that is playing semi finals is leaving his club at the end of this year as he has accepted an increased contract from $80k to $150k pa. He is extremely happy about this deal. He has scored 17 tries this season.
- Another current NRL winger also in semi finals contention has accepted an upgraded 1 year contract to $120k pa. No bonuses or incentives, a flat fee of $120k. He actually earned more this year with incentives and bonuses but was told in no uncertain terms, 'that's it -take it or leave it!' He has scored 9 tries this season.

So your prized employee is looking for a massive increase and to top it off, your other employee, his counterpart, is also on a large salary for his position.
There is no doubting their worth to your organisation but your organisation has weaknesses in other areas that, by all accounts, need strengthening and will require additional funding.
What do you do if you're the one making the decisions? Emotions need to be removed from making a sound commercial decision. What is best for your 'team'? What is required to assist your 'team' to be more successful than the previous years?
Oh...and just a little thing to keep in mind... At all times you require a full component of 25 team members and you only have a certain amount of money budgeted to spend but where do you spend the money?
What dollar value do you place on sentimentality for a favourite son?
I hope he stays, I really do. I'm torn just thinking about the possibility of losing him. But what if we could access a Woods, or a McGuire or a Scott in areas that would probably overall help your teams performance? And possibly for less money...
It's a rock and a hard place for me and the longer this festers, the less confident I am of keeping him.
Either way, supporters will scream blue murder but if what I've been told is right, this decision may be taken out of our hands anyway. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

There is a lot of truth to what you have stated here, and always at points in most clubs histories they have to make agonisingly hard decisions regarding favourite sons.

The one thing to note though with your reference to the business world is that not many CEO's ,MANAGERS(or mismanagers) get to survive after making bad decisions that cost the organisation dearly unless of course you are the owner of the business personally then you cop it on the chin and the hip pocket.

There doesn't seem to be too much consequence from a lot of the poor decisions over the last 3 years, granted B MOZ hasn't as yet left the club.

Some of the poor decisions being Dan Hunt on ridiculous money for no return, paying overs for players just to get them to the club because players aren't that interested in playing for an ordinary team with an ordinary coach unless the price is right,Thompson and Widdop and Farrell to name a few.

Ok if the rumours are correct about BRETT the reason that they can't offer more dough is because of the knee jerk salary cap management of the passed couple of years which seemed to start with the early release of Jamie Soward( another dumb move ) not that he is being ridiculous looking for more money.

I am sure in his eyes he must believe he has earned that right as opposed to some of the other guys who have been in the joint 5 minutes and are on comparable money,and to be brutally honest the costly additions have done virtually nothing to improve our performance, sure you can roll out the stat sheet and say we scored more tries blah blah but the fact of the matter is the only stat that counts is 11TH ON THE LADDER.

Surely with the state that the club is in at the moment now is not the time to be letting one of our best pointscorers and biggest drawcards go and if this happens surely it is time to get rid of chief decision maker with regards to this matter also.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I agree Dragonreddy. We just put too much trust in price. Apparently he inherited a really bad roster from Bennett. So he had to show weyman and Soward the door, and pay overs for widdop, Marshall, Thompson, etc.

I'll be shot for saying this, but in all seriousness, we are still suffering from the diabolical mess that price created.

Current issues
/
Price
/
Doust
/
Board
/
?

Mr Red

First Grade
False. CEO, Board and overall management are still here. The ussue of Price was merely as extension of that.
agree...
Price was the symptom, not the cause. we have treated the symptom but if the cause is left untreated its likely to raise its head again.

hardbaby

Coach
Yep. We'll get the odd Bradbury moment but it is a club in decline. Until there is a significant change in Board structure we will not be successful very often. The Board don't care. They should have the club's best interests at heart. They don't. Not at all.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
False. CEO, Board and overall management are still here. The ussue of Price was merely as extension of that.

Wasn't that the same CEO and board that were around in 2009 - 2011. They at least delivered those years. Problem is they thought that is all they needed to do and then live on that glory for the next 10 years.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Wasn't that the same CEO and board that were around in 2009 - 2011. They at least delivered those years. Problem is they thought that is all they needed to do and then live on that glory for the next 10 years.

And Bennett was steering things telling them what to do ,and it made them look good.

BennyV

Referee

Yes, that CEO and board. And using those years to stand up for them is another part of the problem...

TruSaint

Referee
They achieved more than us they played finals.

Considering what the Knights have gone through, he did a great job.
I need not rehash the dramas at Newcastle, suffice to say Bennett called it himself one of his greatest achievements. They, Newcastle, could have folded like Cronulla.
PS they tore us a new one a few days ago.

Latest posts