What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong rumour.. BMoz, gone

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...brother-josh-at-canterbury-bulldogs-20140915-

St George Illawarra's Brett Morris seeks release to join brother Josh at Canterbury Bulldogs
Date
September 15, 2014 - 11:45PM

Michael Carayannis
Rugby League Writer
View more articles from Michael Carayannis
Follow Michael on Twitter Email

Brett Morris has requested a release from the final year of his contract with St George Illawarra to join Canterbury as a decision to allow the flyer to test his market value may backfire on the Dragons.

The Test winger wants to sign a long-term deal with the Bulldogs to join brother Josh, and his future is expected to be decided by Dragons coach Paul McGregor, who was appointed to the role full-time last month. It is understood Morris was last month encouraged to test his market worth by club management, which had suggested his contract – which is believed to be $450,000 a season – was above market value.

When Brett Morris dangled the bait, he hooked a big catch with the Bulldogs prepared to reunite the Morris brothers by offering Brett a deal believed to be worth $600,000 a season over four years. Brett Morris has grown so frustrated with the club he won a premiership with in 2010 that even if the Dragons force him to honour the final year of his deal, he could still sign with the Bulldogs for 2016 as soon as November 1.

The Bulldogs are sweating on Morris securing a release and joining the club for next season as they target the 28-year-old to solve their fullback woes. Fairfax Media understands McGregor and Dragons chief executive Peter Doust are torn on what to do with probably St George Illawarra's highest-profile player, who is just 12 tries behind Matt Cooper✓ as the club's leading try-scorer.

McGregor handed Morris the captaincy for two games late in the season when regular skipper Ben Creagh✓ was injured. Dragons players were called into one-on-one reviews with McGregor last week. Josh Morris left the Dragons in 2009, and the brothers have long wanted to play alongside each other again.

Josh said he would love his brother to sign with the Bulldogs. "There's plenty of speculation going about," Josh said. "I'd love to have him at the club. It'll be nice. That's not up to me. That's up to him and his management to talk it out. Whatever decisions he makes for his future, I'm always going to support."

Josh Morris – who was off contract at the end of this year – rejected an approach to return to the Dragons next season and re-signed with the Bulldogs until 2018. The Dragons have salary cap restraints, having spent big on halves Gareth Widdop and Benji Marshall, and outside back Josh Dugan.Josh Morris said he "definitely" thought he would return to the Dragons at some stage.

"I was young back then and I didn't want to leave," Morris told Fairfax Media in March. "I always thought I'd end up back there."Certainly I had some thoughts to go back there again. Brett and I have wanted to play alongside each other and I had to take that into account. The discussions we've had with my manager and the Bulldogs have always been the Dragons have been the only other club. That's purely because we didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea. There were discussions with the Dragons and they were very interested but I think moving forward I've made the right decision."

Soul Dragon

Juniors
IMO he's one of our most valuable players and hopefully they make him honour his contract with an extension and upgrade but its not looking good. However you never know with the press how acurate the reporting is. In any case if we keep him for the term of his current contract anything can happen and at least we have him for another season.

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
f**k me days!!! Bmoz finally used his head and jumped ship before it went underwater, it amazed me it took this long for him to hang onto loyalty. Merrin to the Donkeys and Dugan to wherever in 2016.....

BigH

Juniors
We are screwed, players want out, how is any decent player want to come to the dragons, management is to blame, if they knew there was unrest with the coach why did they appoint him, looks like we are going down the same road as the tigers.

Doubt is ruining a great club with a great tradition, he has to go

Saintsified

Bench
As much as it pains me to say it but if Mary is to forge ahead he needs to clean out the club of all it's dead wood and that includes players who have their minds set on other clubs like Morris seems to have at the moment.

Start fresh completely with a new attitude and players who actually want to be here.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Stuff the bulldogs ! If we are supposedly releasing Beale, Farrell, Hunt, Stockwell and Merrin not happy and wants out, then why can't our useless management poach Josh back to the flub and reunite the talented two where they belong. If its good enough for the Dogs to play dirty then our club needs to return fire and not just surrender because it saves a $$$.

hewi

Bench
Love him as a player. At the end of next year at age 29 not worth $600,000 a season for four years IMO. Make him play for us in 2015 then let him go I'm afraid.

grouch

First Grade
As much as it pains me to say it but if Mary is to forge ahead he needs to clean out the club of all it's dead wood and that includes players who have their minds set on other clubs like Morris seems to have at the moment.

Start fresh completely with a new attitude and players who actually want to be here.

Lol yep. We've appointed a rookie coach with absolutely no experience in building a squad or knowledge in cap management, but we've got to get behind him as he clears out deadwood like our highest profile, prolific try scoring, leading metre gainer, sole Australian test representative.

This is where we are today.

Minh

First Grade
the club is a big mess right now. If there is no instant improvement next year ie. being competitive against "all" teams, the board and management should all sack themselves because nobody can sack them lol.

Gomarchin

Juniors
The "hard calls" need to be made on the dead wood and over paid players NOT your best and only Australian player. This is an absolute disaster. And for the apologists out there who think we can replace him - with what????????????

This guy is the heart and soul of this club and we allow him the test the market?! Have a look at the running metres and tackle busts for each game if you think he's not worth keeping.

What's wrong with this club?!! And of all the clubs - letting him go to those cap cheating filthy dogs.

Lethal25

Juniors
Does anyone know another winger in the game earning anywhere near $450K, to my mind it's already big money for a winger. Not hard to tell why there's apparent salary cap pressure.

Sad to say but I'm in the let him go bucket. The club needs to spend that sort of money on players in the right positions and IMO that's not a winger.

possm

Coach
the club is a big mess right now. If there is no instant improvement next year ie. being competitive against "all" teams, the board and management should all sack themselves because nobody can sack them lol.

Why the if? Why wait until the damage is done? There is clear evidence Doust and the Board have messed up big time and like wtih Price, they will never resign.

Doust and the members of the Board will only go if they are kicked out with a change of Board members. These guys are only interested in lining their own pockets and even though they may wish to make thing look good (so they can stay in their job for a little bit longer) they don't have the skills required to do so.

BennyV

Referee
Does anyone know another winger in the game earning anywhere near $450K, to my mind it's already big money for a winger. Not hard to tell why there's apparent salary cap pressure.

Sad to say but I'm in the let him go bucket. The club needs to spend that sort of money on players in the right positions and IMO that's not a winger.

Haha yeah, Morris is the problem...meanwhile we have Hunt sitting is reggies for $400k, Rein throwing forward passes for $300k, Farrell injured (and frankly not that special) on $250k, Beale signed for fullback money...

But yeah, $450k is too much for a winger who can do things that no other winger can, whos attacking skill and defensive ability has single handedly won us games...lets get rid of him.

fedzy

Juniors
hearing Merrin has been released and Bmoz has asked for a release. What the F--k.

Is the goal to win the spoon or what?

Lethal25

Juniors
There's no doubting BennyV that Morris is a great player, that's not in dispute whatsoever. But managing a roster and that includes Hunt, Beale, Rein on overs doesn't need to be made worse by paying more than what is already significant cash for a winger. I'll be as disappointed as anyone if he does leave but that my friend is up to him, I don't think it's entirely the club getting rid of him unless I'm not aware of something.

Saint Angelo

Juniors
$450K for a marquee, one club, legend of a player seems cheap to me.

Anyway, if Brett goes, so does my memebership with the club that I've held for 10+ years.

What a disgrace !!!!

Mr Red

First Grade
"decision to allow the flyer to test his market value may backfire on the Dragons."

awesome stuff right there...

surely before you encourage the good players to leave you clean-out the dead wood first??

Latest posts