What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart should get his own house in order - Bellamy

The Dodger

First Grade
first of all, watch all those tackles in normal play and tell me if all of them were a grapple or anything near a grapple.

bellamy got some computer geek to still frame the perfect shots to use for his argument.

well done craig, you fell right into sticky's trap.

Ram Man

Juniors
Some tackles just end up near the head and other tackles are deliberately attacking the head and neck.
Smith tried to decapitate Thaiday and got what he deserved....it doesnt matter if they are making an example of him at all...he could of killed him with the force he was using.
All this pissing and moaning about other people did the same thing but I have been watching and playing footy for a long time and I have never seen anything as bad as Smiths tackle as far as dangerous positions without lifting a player off the ground.

drake

First Grade
Double standards? Who was the first person suspended for a grapple?

Same as the first person suspended for obstruction.

Want double standards, try supporting the Dragons. Legal one week, illegal the next.

ESL must be glad the got the NRL's rules test dummy.

The Dodger

First Grade
the good thing with the ESL is the refs call it as they see it.
if they think there is an ilegal play, they will call it.
and they all call the same fouls.

none of this double standard shiit.

in the nrl, it all depends on which ref you get as to which calls they will make.

edit. melbourne must be happy that archer is tomorrow nights ref at least.

Noa

First Grade
the good thing with the ESL is the refs call it as they see it.
if they think there is an ilegal play, they will call it.
and they all call the same fouls.

none of this double standard shiit.

in the nrl, it all depends on which ref you get as to which calls they will make.

edit. melbourne must be happy that archer is tomorrow nights ref at least.

:thumb

Oh and Ricky should keep his mouth shut. Anyone who doesnt think so obviously agrees that coaches should be speeking out on judiciary matters that dont involve there own teams.

The Dodger

First Grade

Oh and Ricky should keep his mouth shut. Anyone who doesnt think so obviously agrees that coaches should be speeking out on judiciary matters that dont involve there own teams.
lol
its all part of the mind games noa.
its just unlucky craig cant play them as well as ricky does...

Swiftstylez

Bench
I f**king agree, everyone is singling out Melbourne and even when these images show that other teams are using the grapple as well, you are still throwing stones at Melbourne for whinging about grubby tactics?

GUESS WHAT

YOUR SHARKS ARE NO SAINTS EITHER. SEE ABOVE.

Every team is bending the rules, the Storm are just the best at it.

I f**king agree, everyone is singling out Melbourne and even when these images show that other teams are using the grapple as well, you are still throwing stones at Melbourne for whinging about grubby tactics?

GUESS WHAT

YOUR SHARKS ARE NO SAINTS EITHER. SEE ABOVE.

Every team is bending the rules, the Storm are just the best at it.

Thank you, if you ad called us Saints we would have been farkin offended aplenty!

Keep this in mind guys. Smith was charged with attacking the head/neck. His defese included an admission he tackled Thaiday by grabibg his head and forcing him to his back using his head.

This tackle is very different to the crap people are throwing as a defence.

At the end of the day though, I agree any tackle involving attacking the head neck or using it as leverage has to be penalised. If it is dangerous it has to be cited/reported and actioned, no matter what club it is.

Last edited:

Younge

Juniors
Some tackles just end up near the head and other tackles are deliberately attacking the head and neck.
Smith tried to decapitate Thaiday and got what he deserved....it doesnt matter if they are making an example of him at all...he could of killed him with the force he was using.
All this pissing and moaning about other people did the same thing but I have been watching and playing footy for a long time and I have never seen anything as bad as Smiths tackle as far as dangerous positions without lifting a player off the ground.

Turn it up! If the tackle is as bad as you're making out then why wasn't he stretchered off in a neckbrace. Last time I checked, rubgy league was a contact sport and there's always a danger of copping some dangerous contact.

The issue in this case is around the intent. Nobody is saying that there wasn't contact with Thaiday's head, however, what the Storm are arguing is that once Cameron realised he had Thaiday around the head he immediately released. Ultimately the judiciary decided that it was careless and could have reacted quicker which is probably fair enough.

To suggest it was malicious or life-threatening is taking things a bit too far.

If this was the first time this year Stuart had said anything about the tackling style of Melbourne, saying he shouldnt say anything may have some merit, however he had the courage to speak out earlier in the year when the storm played StGeorge. If the NRL had taken some notice then and started doing something about it all clubs would have been on notice and Smith may be playing tomorrow night.

Ram Man

Juniors
Turn it up! If the tackle is as bad as you're making out then why wasn't he stretchered off in a neckbrace. Last time I checked, rubgy league was a contact sport and there's always a danger of copping some dangerous contact.

The issue in this case is around the intent. Nobody is saying that there wasn't contact with Thaiday's head, however, what the Storm are arguing is that once Cameron realised he had Thaiday around the head he immediately released. Ultimately the judiciary decided that it was careless and could have reacted quicker which is probably fair enough.

To suggest it was malicious or life-threatening is taking things a bit too far.

FMD he tripped to basically rip his head off.
One wrong move by Either Smith could have caused some serious damage.
I know its a contact sport and I dont usually say anything about grapples because like I said tackles can sometimes slip up and look worse than they actually are, but they was ridiculous what they were doing to Thaiday.

What a load of absolute bull$hit that Smith released, he had 2 cracks at him!
If he had released, he wouldnt have been suspended.

Smith may not have intended to be malicious and I never said there was any malice in it, but when you are trying to get someone to the ground by pulling on their head and neck, doesnt really paint a pretty picture.
We all know how easily a spinal injury can happen which was my main gripe with this tackle...sure it may not have been life threatening, but using all your weight going in an opposite direction to the person you are tackling and using a head for leverage cant be the safest practice in the world

Noa

First Grade
If this was the first time this year Stuart had said anything about the tackling style of Melbourne, saying he shouldnt say anything may have some merit, however he had the courage to speak out earlier in the year when the storm played StGeorge. If the NRL had taken some notice then and started doing something about it all clubs would have been on notice and Smith may be playing tomorrow night.

Sure, thats why he said it :roll:. Ricky has more agendas then a NRMA general meeting.

Anyway Im more concerned with the practice of rival coaches commenting on pending judiciary matters.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah that's a fair point,Noa.
I mean Sticky's not one to talk after the way Gallen has behaved before,LOL.

Noa

First Grade
Yeah that's a fair point,Noa.
I mean Sticky's not one to talk after the way Gallen has behaved before,LOL.

Its not so much a case of a coach defending his own players, thats entirely undrstandable.

But if Nathan Brown had of made a comment on Gallens guilt before his case was heard after the Titans game, Ricky would have been apocalyptic.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
There is a big difference with accidentally letting one's arms slip up around the head, to actually first tackling the person around the head.

If you attack the head first then you are showing your intentions of what you are going to do.

If you accidently let the arm slip there shouldn't be intentions there.'

Once players are tackled, the defenders have to move, none of this second movement crap with arms heads (doing the face run) or adjusting one's body weight. If you're told to move, 'move your arse away from the tackled man. It's not that hard. Only time you can stay a tiny bit longer is from surrender or dominant tackles, but even those should not give grounds to go for the head or put anything extra in the tackler.

Younge

Juniors
FMD he tripped to basically rip his head off.
One wrong move by Either Smith could have caused some serious damage.
I know its a contact sport and I dont usually say anything about grapples because like I said tackles can sometimes slip up and look worse than they actually are, but they was ridiculous what they were doing to Thaiday.

What a load of absolute bull$hit that Smith released, he had 2 cracks at him!
If he had released, he wouldnt have been suspended.

Smith may not have intended to be malicious and I never said there was any malice in it, but when you are trying to get someone to the ground by pulling on their head and neck, doesnt really paint a pretty picture.
We all know how easily a spinal injury can happen which was my main gripe with this tackle...sure it may not have been life threatening, but using all your weight going in an opposite direction to the person you are tackling and using a head for leverage cant be the safest practice in the world

You just contradicted yourself. Trying to rip someones head off sounds like malicious intent to me.

I can accept that it's a tackle gone worng and that the judiciary deemed it worthy of a careless grade 1 charge, however, what I can't understand is how people can think that he would deliberately attack Thaiday's neck with the intent to cause injury.

Frailty

First Grade
I find this article a little strange, because the media was going to Cronulla ever since the Smith tackle happened and they were keeping tight lipped. I think Bellamy is getting a tad paranoid...

Ram Man

Juniors
You just contradicted yourself. Trying to rip someones head off sounds like malicious intent to me.

I can accept that it's a tackle gone worng and that the judiciary deemed it worthy of a careless grade 1 charge, however, what I can't understand is how people can think that he would deliberately attack Thaiday's neck with the intent to cause injury.

From what I can tell, Smith just grabbed onto any part of Thaiday and started pulling on it. Maybe he didnt mean to pull on Thaidays head, maybe he thought he had a hold of his upper torso...I dont know...Maybe I should re-phrase...it looked like he was trying to rip his head off.
Im sure there was no malice in it as they are SOO team mates and Smith wouldnt be that evil to try and injure someone.
That is what I meant by what I said...you may have read too much into what I was saying and I probably didnt word it all that well...I have a habit of that....;-)

Younge

Juniors
I find this article a little strange, because the media was going to Cronulla ever since the Smith tackle happened and they were keeping tight lipped. I think Bellamy is getting a tad paranoid...

I didn't hear the interview, however, I believe Bellamy is reacting to comments made by Stuart on Sydney radio (BSB I assume).

Maybe it was just Stuart engaging in a bit of gamesmanship but it obviously struck a nerve with Bellamy. People might think that Stuart achieved his goal by getting the reaction he did but I wouldn't be surprised if it totally backfires on him and the Storm come out breathing fires on Friday night.

Fitzgerald tries this type of thing all the time before the Storm/Eels games and I'm sure the players and supporters wish he'd just shut up.

Latest posts