What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Crowdwatch

brendothejet

First Grade
CONGRATS to all the pommy fans and french ones too for getting out and supporting the game in great numbers this year!

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Dakink said:
How can Quins raise their crowds??

Are they heading in the right direction?

It will take a long time for them to do that. They start to make improvements but are then forced to move. There have been a couple of pretty strong setups at London who could have grown into genuinely worthwhile clubs, but ground moves and rebranding stopped all that. London is a massive city and transport is horrible there, so if the club moves borough to another ground, people would have to be extremely committed to follow them.

I don't think the Harlequins brand was a good idea either. They don't seem to be attracting new supporters and the Union fans of Quins certainly aren't willing to give them a chance. Recently they had a double header with the ground full for the Union game, but only a couple of hundred people bothered to stay on for the League game.

I think they need to revert to being called London [Insert corny Americanism here] and finally find the most suitable borough. People have said that playing at QPR would be the best bet, but I don't know enough about the city to say where they would be most successful.

bazza

Immortal
Fairleigh Good! said:
I think they need to revert to being called London [Insert corny Americanism here] and finally find the most suitable borough. People have said that playing at QPR would be the best bet, but I don't know enough about the city to say where they would be most successful.

the QPR ground (Loftus Road?) is in Shepherds Bush is west london. It is an area where a lot of Aussies and NZers live so there could be potential to tap into that market.
When the Socceroos play friendlies in the UK they usually play there and get good crowds and Aus and NZ played a test match there during the tri-nations and got a good crowd.

Still - I think they should give the Twickenham move a few more years

The Clan

Juniors
Wakefield Trinity's crowds are a massive 48% up on the same fixtures from last year.

They have also taken a huge following to away games with an estimated 3,000 travelling to Huddersfield.

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's pleasing to see that every club apart from one has posted an increase on the corresponding fixtures last year - the most impressive being Wakefield (+48%), Catalans (+33%), Huddersfield (+23%) and Wigan (+20%).

Having said that, very poor crowds at Saints and Salford last night.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Worst SL crowd for years at Quins tonight. I'm too embarrassed to post it, but suffice to say Celtic Crusaders had more for an NL2 game last week and Doncaster had almost triple the Quins crowd for an NL1 game on thursday night.

ledzep

Bench
oh dear. less than 2k?
i'm all for expansion and growing the game, but at what point does the SL cut it losses in London?

langpark

First Grade
looks like we're headed for an abysmal average this week. I don't think we should give up on the Quins tho after going to such lengths to establish the game in London. It shouldn't be given up without a fight.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
What sort of promotions are they doing in London, it beggers belief that they can't find 5000 people in a huge city like London.

deluded pom?

Coach
BBC teletext had it as 2,500. I wonder what we could do to raise the crowds at the home of the SL and World champions who could only muster 7,500. :roll:

The Clan

Juniors
Evil Homer!
Please refrain from altering the content of my posts.

if I have breached the rules of the forum in some way then OK but please don't abuse your rights as a moderator and just alter the content because you don't agree with it.

Thank You

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
There is a transportation problem in London, which is so spread out. But soccer flourishes in this city, so it can't be that crucial. And there is a 30-35 minute train from central London to Twickenham, which is in southwest London near Richmond, and not very far south of Heathrow.

London rugby league also suffers from the perception that it is only a "northern game." Richard Lewis understands this, which is why he wants geographical expansion clubs added to Super League. Many parochials in the north, who think only of the prospects of their own club, and want it guaranteed a place in SL, are against geographic expansion.

But the main problem for the Harlequins is that they have no publicity in the major British national newspapers. Most Londoners would have no clue that the Quins are playing on any particular Saturday, no clue that the team even exists. I saw that when I was there a few years ago and the Broncos were playing in the southeast at the ground of major Premiership soccer club Charlton. A local taxi driver, and many other people in the area, had no idea that the London Broncos were playing in the area.

There is also the problem of the saturation publicity of soccer in these same papers. One is bombarded with the game in every paper.

But where the bias / discrimination comes in is where the editors of these papers give massive second place to rugby union, and nothing comparable to rugby league. This is unfair because TV ratings from Sky show that Super League broadcasts are at least 100% more popular than rugby union. The editors are mostly products of private schools where rugby union was the dominant sport.

A change in coverage of rugby league in major national newspapers, including special coverage of Harlequins, would have a huge impact on the crowds at Harlequins, in my opinion.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The Clan said:
Evil Homer!
Please refrain from altering the content of my posts.

if I have breached the rules of the forum in some way then OK but please don't abuse your rights as a moderator and just alter the content because you don't agree with it.

Thank You

A bit cheeky on my behalf, but you know full well that there were just under 2,000 rather than 3,000, so why post it?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Back on topic, two 10,000+ crowds at Bradford and Warrington and 7,000 at Huddersfield add at least a little respectability to this weekend's average.

langpark

First Grade
deluded pom? said:
BBC teletext had it as 2,500. I wonder what we could do to raise the crowds at the home of the SL and World champions who could only muster 7,500. :roll:
I guess St helens need a new stadium sooner rather than later. But Quins have a pretty nice stadium by the looks of it, so i'm not sure of possible solutions for them

Round 10
Saints v Catalans 7,918
Salford v Hull 4,077
Quins v Wakey 2,538
Wire v Leeds 10,115
Bradford v HKR 10,881
Hudds v Wigan 7,117
Round total: 42,646
Round average: 7,108
Season total 608,211
Season average 10,137

deluded pom?

Coach
langpark said:
I guess St helens need a new stadium sooner rather than later.
A fantastic team in a poor stadium or a poor team in a great stadium? I know which one I'd sooner see. Saints should still be getting around 10,000 for virtually EVERY home match.

Latest posts