What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu $400k

Nuffy said:
Comparing Tahu to Johns just goes to show you haven't got a clue, one is the best playmaker in the world and the other is a winger.

Johns wouldn't hold a candle to the KING...the greatest ever!!!!

Nuffy said:
you have the best young centre in the world

Finally, a newcastle supporter that doesn't have his hand on it.

Nuffy said:
I wish Tahu well, but don't try and say he is worth anywhere near 400K.

Maybe he isn't...throw Ennis in and it's a deal.

Pazza

First Grade
I wanna see Tahu play fullback! The foundation of any good attacking side is the Fullback, Halfback and Hooker. Parra have got the hooker of the best attacking team in the comp and look like signing a rep player.

1.Tahu
7.Dykes
9.Riddell

Looks good to me, Tahu gives dykes a runner he can use. I dont see the point of having Tahu in the centres being totally isolated when he can roam freely at Fullback.

Nuffy

Bench
Belly

Nice try, creative editing doesn't alter the facts that you have paid well over the odds for a winger.

Plus the best young centre is Lyon and he's lost to Parra, I can't believe fans aren't more upset about that.

You'd be better spending the 400K paying out CoachSmith and keeping Lyon rather than getting Tahu.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Nuffy said:
Belly

Nice try, creative editing doesn't alter the facts that you have paid well over the odds for a winger.

Plus the best young centre is Lyon and he's lost to Parra, I can't believe fans aren't more upset about that.

You'd be better spending the 400K paying out CoachSmith and keeping Lyon rather than getting Tahu.

tahu wont get 400k anywhere :lol:

Langers

Juniors
If you guys get Tahu all you will need to do is fix up your halves situation and you should be very competitive.

The Colonel

Immortal
Nuffy said:

We've been there, analysed that and gotten over it - Its Rnd 19 that was Round 1. Most wouldn't want him back after walking out on the club - he went he wasn't pushed - regardless of who is coach you should be big enough to play under whoever. As a player I'd be happy to have him back - he and Tahu would make a good combo. Hopefully he is happy in Wee Waa as he will be there for a few more years.

Nuffy said:
Belly

We haven't paid anything for him yet.

If a player doesn't want to play in the bigtime that is his call...how could I be upset at that. It's when he trots out for another NRL club that I'd be cranking it up.

Unfortunately, we have to keep more than 1 player happy so for every Killer that is supposedly not happy with the coach, there may very well be a Hindmarsh and Morris that loves the coach.

1eyedeel

Juniors
The one big difference between Parramatta next year and Parramatta this year is that the team that started off as our Flegg team this year are ready to step up as understudies to the senior players next year. That makes a massive difference to your salary cap because you don't need to buy fringe first graders and can invest in quality rather than quantity. All our talented juniors reached first grade standard in 2000 and that had a lot to do with why we were so successful in 2001. We've had limited number of juniors come through to first grade standard. I can't think of anyoen who came through the ranks in 2002 and last year there was probably only Ash Witt, and JT (and Tonga but we muffed that). This year, you add the likes of Mateo, Afamasaga, Cordoba, Ben Smith, Tim Smith, Reddy etc and you have a host of lowly-paid but talented players who should be ready to step into the shoes of senior players if injuries occur (and maybe even if they don't). The Roosters and Dragons are both in that position this year..

I really do think Smith didn't have a lot of other options than to try and find bargain fringe first graders because our juniors weren't ready. Can you imagine where Parra would be at, had we not been able to call on the likes of McKinnon, Stapleton, Langi, Hopkins, Pearson, etc considering the injuries we've had to some of our big money players.

The salary cap is a very interesting beast and balancing it, is far more complex than people give credit for.

strider

Post Whore
100% spot on filthy_spammers....teams ride on a successful wave the season their young crop emerge, then go through the heartache of trying to resign everyone soon after.

Us in 2001 and Penrith 2003 are prime examples....and as you state St George - altho they seem to do it over and over every 2 years (must have good, reporductive crops).

Whether they be juniors breaking into the ranks OR recruited cheap players, every successful team has a few cheap guys who really step up to the mark to accompany their team's stars.

fish eel

Immortal
I really do think Smith didn't have a lot of other options than to try and find bargain fringe first graders because our juniors weren't ready. Can you imagine where Parra would be at, had we not been able to call on the likes of McKinnon, Stapleton, Langi, Hopkins, Pearson, etc considering the injuries we've had to some of our big money players.

The salary cap is a very interesting beast and balancing it, is far more complex than people give credit for.

Yep.

This is the first year in many that we've had room under the cap to go for elite players, rather than cheap journeymen.

Nuffy

Bench
That being the case and you have this massive crop coming through, why would you offer a winger 400k for 4 years, a 50 minute footballer 350K, be chasing a 30 year old lock forward, then have to upgrade the contracts of plenty of players next year.

If what you say is true, you'll lose the young ones because you'll have all these big dollar players on your books?

Doesn't sound like a strategy to me.

Parraren

Bench
Nuffy said:
That being the case and you have this massive crop coming through, why would you offer a winger 400k for 4 years, a 50 minute footballer 350K, be chasing a 30 year old lock forward, then have to upgrade the contracts of plenty of players next year.

If what you say is true, you'll lose the young ones because you'll have all these big dollar players on your books?

Glenn Morrison is 28.

Riddell & Tahu are what 23-24.

If the Roossters can hang on to their young stars with 13 internationals in first grade why can't we? Didn't you know we've just employed the accounting firm that looks after the Roosters to do our books? ;-)

strider

Post Whore
Nuffy said:

Newcastles strategy is SOOOOOO much better eh!!!

Be held to randsom by a guy who spends most the season on the sideline $500K - lose a string of other talented players cos you have no cap room left for them - struggle in all 3 grades cos the lower grade ranks are a bit thin at the moment - attract nothing new to the club.

Sounds sooooo much better to me :?

antonius

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
If he comes Tahu will play centre..... :D so $400k for a centre who has played rep football for Aust. and NSW is pretty good. ;-)
Colonel Tahu has played centre at the Knights on a number of occasions, and can I say he is very ordinary there. His positional play is terrible, gets caught out of position on a reg basis, he isn't the best positional play winger going around either, a lot of tries get scored against us on his side. What he has got (when fit, at the moment he plays around 60% of the games) is speed and strength, and can certainly get to the try line (given good service from his inside men) but at $300-$400K he is too expensive, if he does go to you guys, I for one will look with interest at his try scoring prowess, I personally think he owes a lot to Gidley for his record. Time will tell.

The Colonel

Immortal
Time will tell however as I said - the salary would be based on incentives - if he does play centre and is playing well enough to make NSW and Aust teams then he Parra is obviously going to be playing well. IMO he would be worth the money.

However as is usually the case with a lot of newspapers no-one really knows what is being offered. He could be being offered a Manly sized sign on fee as well. ;-)

Pazza

First Grade
We had Jamie Lyon and David Vaealiki at centre and we still sucked! Why would tahu make a difference?

The Colonel

Immortal
We don't know if he will make a difference - but we also don't know what difference he may make. I think reports of what he is being offered are exaggerated but we lack class out wide at the moment. In all honesty Tahu is a player when fit capable of scoring 15+ tries a year - at the moment he is the sort of player we lack. Grothe and Dykes are our top tryscorers with two forwards - Hindmarsh and Widders next best. He may well end up on the wing, but he also may make a huge fist of centre. With a dominate forward pack and settled halves who knows?

Pazza

First Grade
I'd Rather see Tahu at Fullback where he can jump in where ever he wants and make a big difference to this team. Centres only do well when the team does well. Hookers, Halfback and Fullbacks make teams go well. I can see Tahu running support for guys like Cayless and Tsoulos, i can see him Running off Dykes, Riddell and Morris short passes and inside balls. I can see him organising and leading from the back and making some blistering kick returns. He with out a doubt would be the number one player in this backline and he will get so much more ball at FB than centre.

antonius

Coach
Pazza said:
I'd Rather see Tahu at Fullback where he can jump in where ever he wants and make a big difference to this team. Centres only do well when the team does well. Hookers, Halfback and Fullbacks make teams go well. I can see Tahu running support for guys like Cayless and Tsoulos, i can see him Running off Dykes, Riddell and Morris short passes and inside balls. I can see him organising and leading from the back and making some blistering kick returns. He with out a doubt would be the number one player in this backline and he will get so much more ball at FB than centre.
I thought along those lines a couple of years ago that he could be a brilliant fullback. But have tended to re-think that, his positional play (as I said in an earlier post), is pretty poor, even on the wing he gets out of position a lot, he is worse at centre, and he's always been like that. He is not that strong under high balls either, he is a winger, and a good one, I don't know maybe Smith can coach him into better positional play, however I would be confident Hagan has tried and he hasn't succeded

Latest posts