What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take Action on the Development.

If so, we all will be but the point being there is a consistent view saving a football club is not worth screwing over the area.

More jobs, better facilties, more shopping choices, increased services, increased housing options etc.

Yeah the area is going to get screwed big time.

Card Shark

Immortal
The area ain't getting screwed over, it will benefit from more facilities & local housing.

The whingers are only concerned about themselves & couldn't really give a shit about the prosperity of the area.

If this is knocked back & the Sharks die, the Shire will be in disarray. It will take a long time for people to get over it.

fizman

Bench
Coupe, I am not sure if you attended the PAC meeting on the other day? There was a big problem from those who spoke against the development and that was there was continual references to "me, myself and I".

Had those in opposition spoke about the concerns and issues in a broader sense, and not just how if affects them personally, it may have given more credence to their argument.

The other misguided view is that the Sharks is "just" a football club to be saved. As was pointed out during the presentations, the Sharks is far more than that, it is a community asset that extends far wider than just football.

The club housed and looked after many residents after a fire in Kurnell a couple of years ago. That was just one af a few examples where the Sharks are more than a football club.

I am sure that there may be genuine concerns about aspects of the proposal, but those who presented basically just ranted that it shouldn't go ahead without really providing a clear, concise and factual argument.

Those in favour of the development portrayed a "wider community benefit" argument which would include new housing at an affordable price, jobs and a much needed retail outlet for locals.

If I was against the proposal, the first people I would be gunning after would be the Sutherland Shire Council - they have done more to assist the development by their lack of professionalism and conduct throught the development process. They are the most ignorant, self serving, ill informed selfish government body that I have come in contact with and that is very sad for the people of the Sutherland Shire.

In terms of numbers, at every request from the various bodies, the numbers in favour of the development have outweighed those against.

I'll tell you why I believe that the development will be approved - When Paul Gallen says that his "Mrs needs another place to shop" the PAC listen. haha.

gavin_miller

Juniors
I'll tell you why I believe that the development will be approved - When Paul Gallen says that his "Mrs needs another place to shop" the PAC listen. haha.

GOLD!

Weaponhead

Coach
The PAC will assess the development on its merits. The football club is unlikely to be factor. The development is surrounded by factories, schools and a golf course. it has minimal impact on residents.

carcharias

Immortal
Mick fanning mentions in his book how as a kid
he was put up in the club with the entire QLD rep team.
This was during the aus surfing titles.

Only a 2x world champ .

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
Ironic wasn't it that on the day of the PAC meeting the news filtered through that the refinery was closing. 600 jobs down the tubes. Those jobs could be easily absorbed (in terms of numbers) by this very development.Do the anti brigade (including the council) understand their selfishness and single minded backwardness in opposing this? In a nutshell they stand against jobs, housing, prosperity, and opportunity let alone the advancement of community amenity and infrastructure. Do you think they dont understand how pathetic and mean spirited they look in seeming to protect their backyard at any cost or do they simply not care..

Coupe, I am eager to know.

The Popper

Bench
I'm an old fugger but I support the development and want to see the Sharks win the premiership before I go to the big Toyota Stadium in the sky.

SadShark

Bench
Hang in there Pop. You can get chriogenically frozen you know. You're gunna need it.

10-minutes in the microwave on medium high & you'll be thawed ready for when we make the 2157 grand final.

taipan

Referee
I an older fan,and would like to buy a unit at Gallen Towers in my twilight years,so I can squirt on George from a great height.:sarcasm:

traffic :already the council has agreed to make the stretch from Woolooware to the Wanda turnoff 4 lanes.
Sand trucks will eventually disappear,the demise of Carbon Black,Abbot Labs,now Kurnell will reduce traffic.So that will balance out any increase from the develpopment and the snadill developments.

The new suburbs at Wanda will beable to do their shopping etc at the new development.,instead of increasing the traffic debacle that now exists in Cronulla shopping centre.

If PAC knocks this on the head,it can be concluded they would be anti growth,anti jobs,anti affordable housing ,and bring the state into further economic decline.
As far as this patheic Council is concerned they are self seeking,self indulgent and look to the present and not the fuutre.They should be thrown from office,at the end of a Roman slingshot.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The issue is not anti development, it is development which is obscene and out of scale with the surrounding suburbs. Those not familiar with the issue should be aware most of the support for this development is from supporters living outside of Cronulla, Wooloware and Caringbah.

The fact the scale and size of the development is determined by the debt of your club is in itself damming.

To have a rep advise we cannot reduce the size because it will not pay off the debt is pathetic. A development limited to say six stories stepped back from the bay would be acceptable I would think to most residents.

The Club would not have the western playing fields were it not for Council. A case of biting the very hand that feeds you!

As for Kurnell. the planned closure has been well known to local residents for quite some time;-)

jc155776

Coach
The issue is not anti development, it is development which is obscene and out of scale with the surrounding suburbs. Those not familiar with the issue should be aware most of the support for this development is from supporters living outside of Cronulla, Wooloware and Caringbah.

Repeating the same line over and over doesn't make it true George.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Agree with your sentiments JC. What's worse for mine though is comments like "The Club would not have the western playing fields were it not for Council" smacks of the Council bullying. R2 was there any caveats on the use of the land when it was released to the club? I presume they have been complied with. If not the development wouldnt have got this far.

taipan

Referee

The fact the scale and size of the development is determined by the debt of your club is in itself damming.

To have a rep advise we cannot reduce the size because it will not pay off the debt is pathetic. A development limited to say six stories stepped back from the bay would be acceptable I would think to most residents.

The Club would not have the western playing fields were it not for Council. A case of biting the very hand that feeds you!

As for Kurnell. the planned closure has been well known to local residents for quite some time;-)

All major developments in the Shire and surrounds can be classified as obscene.The units near Caringbah railway station,the many high rise and closely packed units near Cronulla beach,the closure of Cronulla street for a mall that means only two entries in and out for South Cronulla people.The high rise at Miranda near the netball courts.Northies is obscene.
Big ugly Miranda Fair on a brick pit site,smack bang in the middle of a housing area.Have a geek at the expansion of boat ramps in Gunnamatta Bay.

One could well argue the last seniors, development on the car park,approved unanimously by Council could be an eye sore and obscene with a hotel.This with underground car parks.

This development does not impinge on nearby housing like these mentioned.As well we have factories right near the mangroves on Cpt Cook drive.
Every development on this planet is also motivated by financial gain : profit.Scoop:roll:

I have lived in the Cronulla and Caringbah areas for decades when half the land was vacant,I am a supporter,and I know more than a handfull of the same view.I am more than aware of the issues.
I am also concerned about the future generations for jobs,housing,not just my own creature comforts.Why the hell should a few decide what will benefit the many.Smacks of totalitarianism.Any increase/decrease in traffic and shopping opportunities or living opportunities may well affect me in one way or another. The Sutherland to Surf affects me to be pedantic.

It was rumoured and not well known about Caltex, that was the position..

Regardless it is still one less operation and employment for up to 700 people meaning less traffic volumes,added to Abbotts,Carbon Black .The fact it may have been known is pointless,people have lost jobs.

The site could well have had unsightly factories on it also.The ground was a garbage dump,filled in.The club made it what it is today.

Of course the issue is anti development.Every time in the Shire someone wants to build something,there is a next door neighbour/s whining,or a mob of greenies.It would not matter if they were 6 stories high,there would be the objectors.
The record of development by the Sutherland council and some of their abominations,they gave the OK to,is embarrassing.

We may as well all shut up shop,and get back to living in caves.We are only here for a short time,we don't own the flipping Shire in perpetuity.

If this fails to get off the ground,I trust the land will revert to industrial with a scrap metal recycling centre,to really give the antis something to whine about.

Last edited: