What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2012!!

At this stage, it is all hearsay that Bennett has said "no" to Snowden. None of us will ever no what has been said (if anything has actually been said at all) ... so we will have to wait and see what unfolds over the fullness of time. I am still hopeful that Snowden will join us to add some much needed starch to our forward pack, but if he doesn't I won't be losing any sleep. Afterall, the Knights are in a better position to win a premiership in the next 5 years than the Sharkies. The way they are travelling, they will be lucky to be here in 5 years!!
That very thing is what Wayne may well be banking on. Snowy will not make a decision for a while I believe. Benny either does not rate Snowy or is making his authority clear from day one. Kade will struggle with this one as he has already. It isn't like Cronulla can press him now. He has all the cards in that department. The pressure will come from our end. Under Bennett, Kade will become the best prop in the game IMO.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
I think Rothfield has attached himself to this fixation on 'no $300k+' props in the hope that somehow Snowden won't sign with us. Bennett may well not want Snowy for the price we have previously offered, but it didn't stop the Broncos having players like Webcke pre 2008 (imagine how many $$$ he was on!)

Wait and see on Snowy I say (though I reckon our chances of getting him have just dropped significantly, given Douglas is gone from the Sharks and that recent news article from Rothfield)

Shenry4

Juniors
I think Bennett wants snowy, but only for $300,000.

I think Bennett knows snowy wants to come to newcastle...think about it.

I think Bennett likes the odds of getting him for $300,000.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Hey...yet another chance to take a shot at me. This is a good one. You actually agree with me, yet are taking the opportunity to bag me none the less.

So...even though you agree with me...you tell me mate...can you genuinely see Kurt Gidley playing to the age of 36? If you can, then great. Lets get rid of De Gois because we have a guy that can do the job for the next 7 years and we don't need him. Forget the fact that there isn't a 36 year old playing in the competition at all.

You tell me how Kurt Gidley will play for the next 7 years so I can get this understanding you are craving me to "demonstrate".

Ok, you have clearly missed the point I was making big time.. The reason I don't want Gidley at hooker over Degois is for the simple fact that I believe Degois is a better number 9 than Gidley. It has nothing to do with Gidley's age, which you are making out that I am agreeing with you on..

When have I said that Gidley should play until 36? You are just flat out making stuff up. In my opinion, I don't know if Gidley will be able to last the 4 years that his contract was signed for. This opinion is based on to the amount of games he's played and the way he continually plays above his weight.. Unlike Macdougall who has missed a great number of games over his career, I have great doubts whether Gidley would be able to play on until Macdougalls age.

Alex28

Coach
Then you missed my point. My point was to hold on to De Gois because he was a long-term hooker prospect, rather than ditching him for Gidley in that position because in a few years time we would be looking for another hooker. You had a go at me because I seem to have this fixation on age (which isn't true...just in relation to Doogs and when is one year too many going to come along).

I doubt Gidley will be able to play on beyond the end of his new contract too.

ballbag

Juniors
Chad redman chris knight Adam Clydesdale tom rouse chris Adams chris Marlborough
1 of them will be ready in 2014

G.I.

Juniors
Cant see it happening, but in an ideal world for me it would be

1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Hopoate
4. Tomane
5. Mcmanus
6. Henry
7. Mullen

Alex28

Coach
Dean Ritchie in todays Telegraph is reporting that Jon Green will be following Bennett to Newcastle next year...

Jono078

Referee
Cheapo forward signing.

I don't rate Green really, does anyone here who's followed him closer rate him?

Whats Doing

Bench
Green has improved a lot this year and has a very high work rate. A workhorse but won't win a game for you. Would be an improvement on Kaufusi though.

RABK

Referee
Green made 130 metres and 30 tackles from the bench vs the Bulldogs.

If he's pulling Kade Snowden like stats like that from the bench i, as one of the biggest critics of our forwards, think it is a great signing if true. We are on the verge of signing a 26 year old prop with the workload to make 120m+ consistently for one would assume around the 150k mark.

rnb11

Juniors
Cheapo forward signing.

I don't rate Green really, does anyone here who's followed him closer rate him?

I was surprised to learn he's been in the NRL since 2006, it wasn't until mid-last year that I really began to notice him. He's an outstanding defender who gets through ALOT of work for the 30-40 odd minutes he plays per game. I'd be happy if he signed with us, still fairly young and would probably get more opportunities here to develop his game. Though I sure hope he's not the best we can get.

RABK

Referee
His workrate is a massive improvement on all of our props. Beggars can't be choosers and we are certainly beggars in the prop department. Green is a good upgrade to our current lot and he is a benchie at the dragons. Says a lot. Bennett has developed him nicely.

Jono078

Referee
Didn't realize he was only 26, I remember seeing him play for the Bulldogs ages ago and just thought he was this average journeyman :?

I'll have to start paying closer attention to him this year. I certainly don't think he's any worse than our forwards, just not sure how much better.

RABK

Referee
Well he is actually 25, turns 26 in july. So he is entering prime prop age. He's developed under Bennett. We should get his best years.

Whats Doing

Bench
Didn't realize he was only 26, I remember seeing him play for the Bulldogs ages ago and just thought he was this average journeyman :?

I'll have to start paying closer attention to him this year. I certainly don't think he's any worse than our forwards, just not sure how much better.

I think when he was at Canterbury he was struggling with a knee injury and was over weight. It is amazing what Bennett has done with him in his second season at the Dragons.

I am surprised with the stats against Canterbury above particularly with his metres gained as he always appeared to struggle with the attack side of his game. Defence was always his strength.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Can be a straight swap for Southern, can't see the team going into 2012 with 4 rangas in the top squad. Every team needs a Sauce, but 4 makes too much of an imbalance ;)