What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2012!!

aqua_duck

Coach
Here is RLW's 2012 squad speculator:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Anthony Quinn
3. Siuatonga Likiliki
4. Junior Sa'u
5. Aku Uate
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Jon Green
9. Issac De Gois
10. Kade Snowden
11. Neville Costigan
12. Cory Paterson
13. Joel Edwards

14. Chris Houston
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Matt Hilder
17. Kyle O'Donnell
I still think centre is the contentious spot - Likiliki is a long way from proving he is a long-term centre for the cub. Gidley to centre and Henry to 5/8 is still quite possible. Jon Green is an interesting name to pop up.McManus over Quinn every day of the week. Houston has to start at 13.
EDIT - Wow. Throws that speculation out the window then!
is Zeb Taia injured for life or something?

Rod

Bench
I'm still thinking/hoping that Bird could still be an option. What are our thoughts on Houston playing prop now that he has been going so well in the backrow? That could see something like:

8. Costigan
9. De Gois
10. Houston
11. Taia
12. Paterson
13. Bird

Yosh

Coach
Well it's not like Snowden has officially signed with the Sharks yet right. Let's see what happens but I have a good feeling Snowy is still coming home.

Fingerbang

Bench
Hmmmm....looks like a few Knights fans are starting to doubt the great man already. If Bennett wants Emmett, you just gotta accept him and bite your tongue.

Nuffy

Bench
Bennett let Jason Ryles and Justin Poore go because both wanted more than the magical $300k mark.....pretty sure losing neither of them affected the Dragons performances over the last 2 years.

I think Tinkler is smart enough to not challenge Wayne when it comes to choosing recruits.....but can he refrain from butting in over 4 years?

No one really knows, they cite Petero as an example, but maybe Bennett just thought his best days were behind him.

You use Ryles and Poore as examples, maybe Bennett just thought they weren't value for money.

Rothfield has been pushing this line for weeks, you could speculate that it suited the agenda for the Sharks.

Truth be told, no one quite knows Bennetts position on this and you'd think if he wants Snowden to come to the Knights, he will get his man.

Perth Knights

Juniors
It will be interesting to see what Tinklers reaction will be, particularly if what Bennett has said about Snowden is true i.e. doesn't want him at Newcastle next year due to his high price. Remembering of course that Snowden is one of Tinklers favourite players ... so stay tuned as I am sure there is a long way to go in this saga!!

Still intrigues me though as to why we never went for Douglas at the reported $300k offered by the Titans. He would have been a great addition to our club given his age and reputation as an up and coming prop. Afterall, we are not that far from Yamba.

Perth Knights

Juniors
Where'd you hear that figure?

Saw it mentioned a couple of times yesterday in newspaper articles. I have just found one from the Telegraph showing Douglas is taking a pay cut from his present $350K, and the figure quoted yesterday was that he will be on around $300k / year.

Cronulla forward Luke Douglas signs three-year deal with Gold Coast Titans

Exclusive by Phil Rothfield From: The Daily Telegraph April 20, 2011 6:20PM

THE NRL's most durable forward, Luke Douglas, has quit the Cronulla Sharks to sign a three-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans.

The rangy prop, who has played well over 100 games straight in the NRL, agreed to terms yesterday.

He will be taking a pay cut from his current $350,000-a-year deal with the Sharks.

He will join the Titans at the end of the season.

Johns Magic

Referee
Less than 350K could be 345K.

Not sure we can have a go at the club based on a figure from Chinese whispers.

He is a good player though, but Snowy is better.

Douglas is a bit vanilla, he's not worth more than 300K.

Perth Knights

Juniors
Less than 350K could be 345K.

Not sure we can have a go at the club based on a figure from Chinese whispers.

He is a good player though, but Snowy is better.

Douglas is a bit vanilla, he's not worth more than 300K.

The figure I saw quoted a couple of times yesterday was $300k. Nonetheless, the point I was trying to make is that if he was available, why didn't the Knights at least talk to his management. Again .. a young prop (age 24) with loads of potential. He would have been a great addition to our prop stocks next year. Alas, not to be alog with a certain player named Snowden by all reports.

So we have a benefactor and new Coach ... but no player signings apart from Gidley to date.

Sharks can't afford to let Snowden go. I reckon he can basically up his price now. It is entirely possible that Bennett just does not rate Snowy. He is the best judge of all so who are we to argue.

So we have a benefactor and new Coach ... but no player signings apart from Gidley to date.
I think we will soon be smiling and then some. I think 2013 will see significant roster additions. 2012 will be, to a point, a sit back and see season for Bennett but also we will be very hard to beat. He will also be able to offload more players who don't aim up.

red and blue

Juniors
If Snowden wants to stay the Sharks well then good for him let him stay there.

Its our loss as we signed Brian Smith who in all his years in football at a coaching level thought that Snowy was a dud (Great 1 Brian ).

I cant say I blame him if he does stay with the Sharks.

But the chances of him winning a comp at the Sharks history shows is bleak.

On the other hand with Newcastle signing a coach with a proven track record of premiership success you would think the odds are a lot shorter with the Knights of winning a premiership than the Sharks.

I guess at the end of the day its what he wants more.

To stay with his mates at the Sharks and most likely not win a comp or come to Newcastle who are building and empire where premiership success is a real possibilty.

I know that the Sharks offer is more then the Knights but I guess its what he wants more.
I could see him going either way when he weighs it up.

Perth Knights

Juniors
At this stage, it is all hearsay that Bennett has said "no" to Snowden. None of us will ever no what has been said (if anything has actually been said at all) ... so we will have to wait and see what unfolds over the fullness of time. I am still hopeful that Snowden will join us to add some much needed starch to our forward pack, but if he doesn't I won't be losing any sleep. Afterall, the Knights are in a better position to win a premiership in the next 5 years than the Sharkies. The way they are travelling, they will be lucky to be here in 5 years!!