What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2012!!

League_God

Juniors
im all for gids at lock idea. However, let's be honest. Gid's best position is fullback.
He is our inspirational captain and now that he is signed with us shouldn't be moved to a new position (at his age) for a new player we've brought to the club. Buying Boyd is like melbourne buying Josh Dugan.
In saying that, you all know my stance on Boyd as a talent. I still maintain he is a better fullback than Gidley. So it would be stupid to turn him down.
It would be really good if Boyd was a proven centre...

Spot On

Coach
Geez mate, Gidley's found his niche at fullback but he wouldn't be in the top 6 fullbacks in the comp would he? Slater, Dugan, Stewart, Boyd, Hayne, M. Gordon (Yes, M. Gordon), Gardiner (you saw what this bloke did against us). All these blokes leave Gidley for dead when returning the footy. All these blokes have playmaking ability as well.

Alex28

Coach
i don't get the sandow hate.
He has so much RAW talent it's not funny. If anyone's career could flourish under Bennett, it's this guy.
Would not complain at all if we signed Sandow. I don't think it will happen though.
Sandow> Gids in the halves

He is an absolute speed bump in defence. We will do just fine with the options we have in the halves - Mullen, Henry, Gidley, Simpson, Rogers, probably Boyd. We can make a decent halves pairing even with a few injuries without spending overs on an over-hyped player.

Noname36

First Grade
He is an absolute speed bump in defence. We will do just fine with the options we have in the halves - Mullen, Henry, Gidley, Simpson, Rogers, probably Boyd. We can make a decent halves pairing even with a few injuries without spending overs on an over-hyped player.

Do you mean Roberts mate? :lol:

League_God

Juniors
Geez mate, Gidley's found his niche at fullback but he wouldn't be in the top 6 fullbacks in the comp would he? Slater, Dugan, Stewart, Boyd, Hayne, M. Gordon (Yes, M. Gordon), Gardiner (you saw what this bloke did against us). All these blokes leave Gidley for dead when returning the footy. All these blokes have playmaking ability as well.
You dont need to tell me this.
I had a huge 'discussion' with JM in another thread, basically saying that gids shouldn't be re-signed and we should invest in Boyd.
It is hard.
Like i said in my above post, Boyd is a better fullback than Gids.
Gids can play everywhere adequately, but his best position is fullback.
thats why i made the comparison of Dugan going to melbourne.

In summary, I really want Boyd and will be disappointed if we miss out on him.
But for the sake of our team i.e. the players we have and what positions they cover.
Idris and Snowden suit us better.

1.Kurt Gidley
2.Aku Uate
3.Jamal Idris
4.Junior Sau
5.James McManus
6.Beau Henry
7.Jarrod Mullen
8.Nev Costigan
9.Isaac De Gois
10.Kade Snowden
11.Chris Houston
12.Zeb Taia
13.Joel Edwards

14.Evarn Tuimavave
15.Richie Faaso
16.Ethan Cook
17.Matt Hilder

To be honest, had I have been calling the shots. I would of let Gidley go and spent the money elsewhere. Because the simple fact of the matter is Boyd is better and younger than Gids

League_God

Juniors

and I agree 100%.
But Chris Sandow under Wayne Bennett wouldn't be a HORRIBLE signing like steve southern.
That's all im trying to say. Sandow on the right money, is not a signing i would complain about. Sure i would question the decision to sign Sandow when we already have Henry, Roberts and co.

We NEED, props and centres.
THAT should be our priority.
and im sure we can all agree...

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
i don't get the sandow hate.
He has so much RAW talent it's not funny. If anyone's career could flourish under Bennett, it's this guy.
Would not complain at all if we signed Sandow. I don't think it will happen though.
Sandow> Gids in the halves

So would you drop Mullen then? Sandow makes no sense because it's 250 or 300k we could spend on a prop. I'd say Mullen is twice the player Sandow is, and Henry, and Roberts have as much RAW talent as Sandow, except they're not ill disciplined turnstiles

League_God

Juniors
So would you drop Mullen then? Sandow makes no sense because it's 250 or 300k we could spend on a prop. I'd say Mullen is twice the player Sandow is, and Henry, and Roberts have as much RAW talent as Sandow, except they're not ill disciplined turnstiles

refer to above posts

aqua_duck

Coach
and I agree 100%.
But Chris Sandow under Wayne Bennett wouldn't be a HORRIBLE signing like steve southern.
That's all im trying to say. Sandow on the right money, is not a signing i would complain about. Sure i would question the decision to sign Sandow when we already have Henry, Roberts and co.

We NEED, props and centres.
THAT should be our priority.
and im sure we can all agree...

Sandow would command atleast $250k a year, I wouldn't want him even for $150k. Halves are the last position we need to strengthen for next year, most teams would kill for the depth we have at 6 and 7

Whats Doing

Bench
Idris and Snowden suit us better.

1.Kurt Gidley
2.Aku Uate
3.Jamal Idris
4.Junior Sau
5.James McManus
6.Beau Henry
7.Jarrod Mullen
8.Nev Costigan
9.Isaac De Gois
10.Kade Snowden
11.Chris Houston
12.Zeb Taia
13.Joel Edwards

14.Evarn Tuimavave
15.Richie Faaso
16.Ethan Cook
17.Matt Hilder

To be honest, had I have been calling the shots. I would of let Gidley go and spent the money elsewhere. Because the simple fact of the matter is Boyd is better and younger than Gids

Mate Idris signed with the Titans 2 weeks ago

Alex28

Coach
Sandow would command atleast $250k a year, I wouldn't want him even for $150k. Halves are the last position we need to strengthen for next year, most teams would kill for the depth we have at 6 and 7

Isn't Parramatta allegedly talking $1.3 Million over 4 years?

aqua_duck

Coach
Isn't Parramatta allegedly talking $1.3 Million over 4 years?

The figure I heard was $1 mil over 3 years, whatever it is he'd be asking for atleast $250k a year even if he were to come here for unders. That'd be even more idiotic than Reynoldsen's $200k a year contract

Perth Knights

Juniors
Watched the Storm - Warriors game last night.

Adam Blair had a really good game for the Storm, making really good metres every time he took a hit up and he also defended strongly. As he is off contract next year, what would be the chances of the Knights going after him? He would be a fantastic addition to our forward stocks.

Spot On

Coach
Watched the Storm - Warriors game last night.

Adam Blair had a really good game for the Storm, making really good metres every time he took a hit up and he also defended strongly. As he is off contract next year, what would be the chances of the Knights going after him? He would be a fantastic addition to our forward stocks.

All the Warriors forwards played over the top of him last night. He had the odd good charge but blokes like Lillyman, Packer, Mateo, Rapira and Taia made him look like he is - overrated.

Perth Knights

Juniors
All the Warriors forwards played over the top of him last night. He had the odd good charge but blokes like Lillyman, Packer, Mateo, Rapira and Taia made him look like he is - overrated.

The warriors pack stood up last night, but I thought Blair had a great game in a well beaten storm forward pack. For mine, I think he would be a handy addition to the Knights and do not consider him overrated.

Burwood

Bench
The only reason Sandow can command that sort of money is because he is playing for Souths. Put him in the starting lineup of Penrith or Warriors and there would be about 1/5th of the hype surrounding him.

Spot On

Coach
The warriors pack stood up last night, but I thought Blair had a great game in a well beaten storm forward pack. For mine, I think he would be a handy addition to the Knights and do not consider him overrated.[/QUOTE]

Yes he would be handy but not at the reported asking price of $500K which is why I said he is overrated. I see your point though. He would be a good buy at just over half that i suppose. I don't think Newcastle needs to splash 350K or so for him though.

Wato

Juniors
Blair is a great talent but not work the coin he is demanding. I hope we get Boyd as I believe he will be the biggest player signing in the clubs history. He is genuine match winner and that is something our current side is missing.

Latest posts