What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for this weekend

Jesfery

Juniors
From the Knights Website

NEWCASTLE v BRISBANE BRONCOS AT ENERGYAUSTRALIA STADIUM
2.30PM SUNDAY, 7 MAY 2006
FIRST GRADE
Coach: Michael Hagan
  1. David Seage
  2. Brian Carney
  3. Matthew Gidley
  4. George Carmont
  5. Anthony Quinn
  6. Kurt Gidley
  7. Andrew Johns (C)
  8. Craig Smith
  9. Danny Buderus
  10. Adam Woolnough
  11. Steve Simpson
  12. Clint Newton
  13. Reegan Tanner
Interchange:
  1. Luke Davico
  2. Jarrod Mullen
  3. Riley Brown
  4. Todd Lowrie

roopy

Referee
That is too skinny a bench for the broncos - we barely got away with it for souths.

That Bench is a joke White or Worth or Snowden should be in for Brown for sure, I wont bother stating my case against Brown as I've stated it numerous times b4.

Or at the very least they should have dropped newton back to the bench in place of Brown or Lowrie and had him playing prop in the rotation.

How far off is bloody Tolar?

Gee's Hagan pisses me off I swear to god a leopard would choose new spots before Hagan would give a new player a GO.

Jesfery

Juniors
Mullen is a wasted selection on the bench... I cant see where Hagan would use him barring injury.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
I say move Kidley to lock, bring on mullen to 5/8 and bring on a bigger player for the interchange.

antonius

Coach
Like I said in the opinion thread, Hagan just copies and pastes the team from the previous week. That bench is woefull, the Broncos will smash us up front
Mullen
Brown
Lowrie
With Tanner still starting, FFS doesn't Hagan watch the bloody games.
Tanner should be dropped back to premier league, Lowrie at lock. and another big man at least on the bench. It seems we are stuck with this Kidley joke for the rest of the bloody season. Hagan is really starting to p!ss me off with his sterotype selections week after week. If he's trying to give everyone the sh!ts, he's doing a top job. Tolar is two weeks off according to the Knights site.

They finally updated it aye?

Thanks for that and yep Tone if thinks selections are the best ones possible then he is well and truly stuffed.

Was just on the ph to a mate who's mad Parra fan giving him heaps, it will feel like XMAS every game not having this goose at the helm.

Jono078

Referee
antonius said:
Hagan is really starting to p!ss me off with his sterotype selections week after week. If he's trying to give everyone the sh!ts, he's doing a top job.

Well said, it sh*ts me aswell. That bench will not match the Broncos, im really doubting if we can win this weekend.

I am bloody well counting own the seconds until Hagan pisses off and leaves our club forever.

That team is a disgrace. There are so many problems I don't even know where to start.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
We are deadset going to get hammered up front. When will supercoach realise that we must have two props on the interchange bench, especially after last week. We nearly got beaten by Souths with this same formula, imagine what the Broncos are capable of ..........

Btw the ref is Tony Archer. Arguably the in-form ref so far this year.

Doctor

Bench
antonius said:
Like I said in the opinion thread, Hagan just copies and pastes the team from the previous week. That bench is woefull, the Broncos will smash us up front
Mullen
Brown
Lowrie
With Tanner still starting, FFS doesn't Hagan watch the bloody games.
Tanner should be dropped back to premier league, Lowrie at lock. and another big man at least on the bench. It seems we are stuck with this Kidley joke for the rest of the bloody season. Hagan is really starting to p!ss me off with his sterotype selections week after week. If he's trying to give everyone the sh!ts, he's doing a top job. Tolar is two weeks off according to the Knights site.

Gee Tony, why don't you tell us what you really think? :lol: What a spray. :p

I see the validity of your argument though -- it does look like a copy/paste job from the previous week. When I saw Seage at the top, I thought I was going to read some fresh faces but, alas, it's same-old-same-old. The Kurt Gidley thing has gone on long enough -- he was pretty solid at fullback on the weekend, and would make a pretty handy Lock towards the end of the game. He's fit, tackles well and his support play is improving... all the makings of a lock/utility/centre. I just think it's unfair on Mullen to have him sitting on the bench (again) when the number 6 jersey fits so well.

Mullen is a wasted selection on the bench... I cant see where Hagan would use him barring injury.

I suspect he is there to cover for Johns -- not a bad idea, except that you lose a spot on the bench for a big bopper. I agree with what others have said: the Broncos pack will show greater ascendency over the course of 80 minutes, more so than our mob. It's no reflection on the form of Smith and co, but says more about a lack of size on the bench. It's unsustainable, especially if we suffer injuries to our props.

Riley Brown is a handy sort of player -- I must be the only one who hasn't seen anything wrong with his showings of late. He makes a couple of line-breaks, and is a handy support runner. I must say I haven't noticed his defence, which is probably a sign he is making his tackles. He also adds a bit of depth to the bench, being able to cover several spots. My concern is that it just doesn't work when you have Mullen there too.

Several times last year we ended up with Steve Simpson in the centres because injuries had occurred and we didn't have any recognised backs on the bench. I suspect the pendulum has swung back the other way -- there are two backs, a prop with a dodgy boob and a backrower who has spent a fair bit of time at 5/8th. Not the combo you want to face a Fridgeandafreezer, Webcke and the bash brothers with.

Ben

Bench
That bench is woeful. It has to be the smallest bench in the world. When people were asking Hagan to alter some aspects of his team, we weren't asking him to put, a half and two small back-rowers on the bench. We asked for something different, something new - but this certainly wasn't what we were asking for.

Os, i feel the same about Brown. Sure his defence is a bit suspect at times, especially on the goal line defence, but i haven't seen many significant flaws in his defence. He missed one tackle and it led to a try, but i won't be calling for his demotion solely because of that. In attack he offers a bit of spark through the middle. Something that we have been missing. All our attacking options are out wide and we lack the punch through the middle.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Jobdog said:
We are deadset going to get hammered up front. When will supercoach realise that we must have two props on the interchange bench, especially after last week. We nearly got beaten by Souths with this same formula, imagine what the Broncos are capable of ........../quote]
Mainly because half the team seemed to want to coast to an easy victory rather than do things tough. The same basic line up didn't have any problems dominating the Bulldogs. If they turn up to play like they did earlier in the season, I really doubt they'll get hammered.

strewth_mate

Bench
I wouldn't have Kidley at fullback and I don't understand why some have suggested we do; sure he seems to go alright because he has some space to move and inject himself but he's not a fullback. We change our opinions on our players as often as Souths it seems. First Hughes was the best fullback, then Seage, then Cooper, then Thaiday, then Seage, then Thaiday, and so on. Now that Kidley did nothing wrong at the back there's suggestions he play custodian against the Broncos? I don't think his one half of decent footy is grounds to compare to Seage, whatever you think of the latter. Even if Seage has a bad game, it still doesn't make Kidley a better fullback.

And if any of the rep boys don't back up, we could be in a bit of trouble that could easily be covered to a degree, but not with that team.

Frederick

Staff member
This is what we're up against if there are no ill-effects from the ANZAC test:

Broncos:
1: Karmichael Hunt
2: Tame Tupou
3: Justin Hodges
4: Shaun Berrigan
5: Darius Boyd
6: Darren Lockyer (c)
7: Shane Perry
13: Tonie Carroll
12: Corey Parker
11: David Stagg
10: Petero Civoniceva
9: Casey McGuire
8: Shane Webcke

Interchange:
14: Brad Thorn
15: Ben Hannant
16: Sam Thaiday
17: Greg Eastwood
18. Ian Lacey (one to be omitted)
Coach: Wayne Bennett

Jono078

Referee
We're gonna be in for a long day if Hagan doesnt add a few forwards to our bench, just imagine if 1 of 3 forwards get injured, we'll be stuffed.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
See the difference btwn the two benches. It is the length of the Hume highway as far as impact goes. The Broncos bench is absolutely huge. We really need to add one of the PL forwards to the bench to replace Brown,Lowrie or even Mullen. On the subject of Mullen, he is either good enough to be in First Grade or he's not.

According to 90% of ppl in here, he should be 5/8. Why the f**k can't Hagan realise this? Its a bit like "Jarrod, you're not good enough to be in First Grade, but if Joey gets injured, you'll help us out." What a copout. Deadset. As for Seage, why isn't Hinton in the side for? Hinton IMO has much more to offer than Seage. Sure, Seagey is as safe as houses at the back, but Hinton would offer more in attack. We need that without Milton. I would have thought that your PL fullback SHOULD BE the backup to your first grade fullback. Hinton is that person, so if he's good enough to keep Seage out of fullback in PL, he must be doing something right. Hence, he should be in the team now that Milton is injured.

Latest posts