What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for this weekend

antonius

Coach
I'll stick by my original statement The bench could've been improved. At times we were as soft as butter up the middle. Brown was good, Davico was good, and Lowrie was good. Mullen was a waste of a bench spot.
Red and Blue Knight said:
Will post the stats as soon as Big League becomes available as that is the most accurate source of game stats.

But geez, didn't our more mobile forwards match the much larger broncos pack, scoring a couple of great tries, making breaks up the middle of the ruck and putting the likes of Webcke, Thorn and Civoneceva on their backs time and time again.

Good to see them outlast the Broncos pack too, Broncos had nothing in the final 15.

Well done Lowrie, Brown, Davico and Tanner...
Gee talk about watching with one eye. The stats wont disguise the fact that both teams were out on their feet at the end, one no more than the other. one telling stat though is the Broncs had 4 interchanges left with ten to go, while we had one. If you think we outlasted their pack then you watched a different game to the one I watched. It was an arm wrestle with twenty to go, and only a dubious penalty in that twenty the difference.(I'm still looking for Webckes' high shot???) I watched our mobile forwards as EDITMcGuire went straight through them up the middle to give Lockyer a try with-in a couple of minutes of the Broncs going in previously after Hodges ran across field and unloaded while our forwards stood watching. Paint it however you like RABK, but in the end we could've used another forward on that bench instead of Mullen. We won the game because the team as a whole lifted as they always do against good quality teams, not because of our "mobile forwards off the bench"

Johns Magic

Referee
Will post the stats as soon as Big League becomes available as that is the most accurate source of game stats.

But geez, didn't our more mobile forwards match the much larger broncos pack, scoring a couple of great tries, making breaks up the middle of the ruck and putting the likes of Webcke, Thorn and Civoneceva on their backs time and time again.

Good to see them outlast the Broncos pack too, Broncos had nothing in the final 15.

Broncos lost a big forward when Carroll was ruled out and hooker/halfback Ian Lacey came onto the bench. Thorn moving to the starting line-up left their bench much smaller.

Shane Perry and Ian Lacey both suffered injuries in the match, effectively bringing them down to 15 men, one of these an exhausted and seemingly injured Petero Civoniceva.

Big men in Simpson, Davico, Smith, Woolnough and Newton did the vast majority of the work between them.

These would have all been contributing factors.

I am still willing to say that the bench was too small, and had the Broncos' original team ran out without the injuries, it could've been a much different story.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade

Still got those red and blue eyes on I see.

We let in 30 points! and the only real times I rated how we were going was when newton, smith and woolnough were putting a dent in the defence of brisbane. We lacked go foward IMO when the above players went off only to be replaced by the light weights.

Big Tim

First Grade
Sir Knight82 said:
Tanner and Brown IMO where very average particularly Tanner - WTF does the guy offer?

Tanner's defence is rock solid and he HITS people, not just makes the tackle. What is really interesting is 3 years ago all I spoke about was Newton's defence, and how solid he was, how if he improved his attack he would be a superstar. Reegan is in this same position now, time will tell if he can improve.

Reegan has one thing that I look for in our role players. He has passion and pride for the jersey. The reason why he plays week in week out is due to the fact that he may not be the best skilled player, but he trains the house down and plays with a level of pride that some players lack.

This puts him up there as one of my favourite players.

Jono078

Referee
According to nrl.com ...

Craig Smith 101
Danny Buderus 69
Adam Woolnough 83
Steve Simpson 44
Clint Newton 87
Reegan Tanner 46
Luke Davico 134
Riley Brown 61
Todd Lowrie 64
Total = 689 metres

Shane Webcke 128
Casey McGuire 108
Petero Civoniceva 120
Brad Thorn 111
Corey Parker 80
David Stagg 57
Ben Hannant 62
Sam Thaiday 52
Greg Eastwood 37
Total = 755 metres

Overall Metres for Knights: 1329m
Overall Metres for Broncos: 1360m

Ben

Bench
I didn't even realise Davico made so many metres. What i did see was that he started hitting players like how he used to. This is a good sign that his confidence is increasing.

Frederick

Staff member
Only bad thing about Davico fit and firing on all cylinders is that, when Perry comes back, there won't be room for Tolar in the team :(

Johns Magic

Referee
Big Tim2 said:
Tanner's defence is rock solid and he HITS people, not just makes the tackle. What is really interesting is 3 years ago all I spoke about was Newton's defence, and how solid he was, how if he improved his attack he would be a superstar. Reegan is in this same position now, time will tell if he can improve.

Reegan has one thing that I look for in our role players. He has passion and pride for the jersey. The reason why he plays week in week out is due to the fact that he may not be the best skilled player, but he trains the house down and plays with a level of pride that some players lack.

Reegan's made 184 tackles this season and missed 24. That's a missed tackle for not even every eight tackles he makes. This is from the 8 matches he has played this year.

In contrast, Steve Simpson has made 330 tackles this season, and missed 16. That's one missed tackle for almost every 21 tackles made. This includes the Anzac test, meaning that Steve has played 10 matches.

Reegan averages 6 hitups a game. This is well behind any other forward, including the benchies, in the side. Lowrie is next averaging 7, then Simpson averages 9. On top of this, Reegan's hitups aren't exactly top quality.

I'm hoping that he comes through soon, because he's been pretty average so far in his career.

Big Tim

First Grade
You forgot to mention reegan suffered 3 successive concussions in the first three games. Still he has not missed a match. Those stats are just that stats. Players should be judged on their impact on the team, I feel Reegan is one of our essential 17, not the best, but surely does his part in each game.

Johns Magic

Referee
Big Tim2 said:
You forgot to mention reegan suffered 3 successive concussions in the first three games. Still he has not missed a match. Those stats are just that stats. Players should be judged on their impact on the team, I feel Reegan is one of our essential 17, not the best, but surely does his part in each game.

Firstly, he has missed a match.
Secondly, it wasn't in the first 3 games.
Thirdly, he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire before this season either.

Do you honestly think that Reegan Tanner has an "impact" on the game?

Carl Webb has an impact on the game. Willie Mason has an impact on the game. Ben Kennedy, Gorden Tallis, Luke Bailey, Roy Asotasi, Ruben Wiki.

They are players that can win a match for you due to their impact.

When was the last time Reegan Tanner won us a match? Made a big run, smashed a guy in a tackle, threw a miraculous offload? Heck, can anyone remember the last time Tanner busted the line?

He is nothing more than a toiler, and at the moment, a poor one at that.

If making 20 tackles, missing 3 or 4, making 6 hitups and getting 50 metres is having an impact on a match, then Tanner fits right into that category.

I'm sorry to say it, but replacing Ben Kennedy with Reegan Tanner is like replacing a concorde jet with a kite.

Big Tim

First Grade
Carl Webb has an impact on the game. Willie Mason has an impact on the game. Ben Kennedy, Gorden Tallis, Luke Bailey, Roy Asotasi, Ruben Wiki.

What do these guys have in common???? They have all represented Country or State.

I never once said Tanner was in the league of these players, so putting there names here is, in the point of the discussion, irrelevant.

Tanner is a role player, if he were a superstar we would pay him such. A team in the modern era cannot be stacked with Superstars, all teams need their "role", "fringe" or whatever name you wanna give them players. All teams have them, and all teams survive on them.

These are the guys that do their bit, dont get any praise, dont get the money of their "superiors" but they try as hard and are worthy of the praise when a team wins.

I'm sorry to say it, but replacing Ben Kennedy with Reegan Tanner is like replacing a concorde jet with a kite.

True, but which one still flies?

Tanner was never billed as the replacement for Kennedy, Lowrie was. Now look at who has the starting job.

I have made this point in several threads over the past week. It takes at least 13 players to win a game of football. If we could multiply the likes of Johns, Buderus, Simpson and Newton we would... problem is we would lose all our points for Salary Cap breaches.

Surely you can understand that thre average salary of a player to fit under the salary cap is $130,000.

Not all players in the 25 can earn over $200,000 therefore you will have these types of players. My point is Tanner is an integral part of our lineup.

Roy

Juniors
I agree with johns majic, tanner gives nothing to the side, I would like to see riley brown or lowrie go to lock. They both have the ability to be stars an you can see it. Both brown and lowrie have shown moments of brilliance in a game or two, where you could sit back and say gee that was good. Tanner has never done that.

And no john’s majic I can’t remember the last time he made a line break.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Sir Knight82 said:
That Bench is a joke White or Worth or Snowden should be in for Brown for sure, I wont bother stating my case against Brown as I've stated it numerous times b4.

Or at the very least they should have dropped newton back to the bench in place of Brown or Lowrie and had him playing prop in the rotation.

How far off is bloody Tolar?

Gee's Hagan pisses me off I swear to god a leopard would choose new spots before Hagan would give a new player a GO.

I guess you can eat your words about Brown now. His has been nothing but perfect. Snowden is a cat he won't amount to anything close to Riley. We would have lost that ga,e if it wasn't for Brown standing up when he came on.

Johns Magic

Referee
Big Tim2 said:
What do these guys have in common???? They have all represented Country or State.

I never once said Tanner was in the league of these players, so putting there names here is, in the point of the discussion, irrelevant.

Tanner is a role player, if he were a superstar we would pay him such. A team in the modern era cannot be stacked with Superstars, all teams need their "role", "fringe" or whatever name you wanna give them players. All teams have them, and all teams survive on them.

These are the guys that do their bit, dont get any praise, dont get the money of their "superiors" but they try as hard and are worthy of the praise when a team wins.

Tanner was never billed as the replacement for Kennedy, Lowrie was. Now look at who has the starting job.

I have made this point in several threads over the past week. It takes at least 13 players to win a game of football. If we could multiply the likes of Johns, Buderus, Simpson and Newton we would... problem is we would lose all our points for Salary Cap breaches.

Surely you can understand that thre average salary of a player to fit under the salary cap is $130,000.

Not all players in the 25 can earn over $200,000 therefore you will have these types of players. My point is Tanner is an integral part of our lineup.

Putting their names there was relevant, because I was showing you players who do have an impact on a game. Tanner is not in the class of those players, he does not have an impact on the game.

Yes, I understand the salary cap, thankyou oh wise one. The fact is we have better locks in our squad than Tanner. As said, Lowrie and Brown would both do a better job than Tanner.

I cannot believe that in our full-strength line-up we have Tanner starting in front of Newton or Reynoldson. Unfathomable.

Everyone of the players in our starting line-up earned their spot by performing well. Tanner seems to have been given the number 13 jersey.

Big Tim2 said:

I can appreciate that I just dont see a place in the side for him once Abraham, Newton, Reynoldson, Perry and Tolar come back.

All can stake a claim I just feel that Tanner is the one that will be coolong his heels in PL.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
I guess you can eat your words about Brown now. His has been nothing but perfect. Snowden is a cat he won't amount to anything close to Riley. We would have lost that ga,e if it wasn't for Brown standing up when he came on.

Perfect? Far from it.

He was greatly improved I'll give you that but one match doesnt make a footballer, with our big guys due back over the next 3 weeks and Lowrie able to play a variety of positions, I still dont see a need for him.

My comments where for this match though, if he continues to improve and displays the potential we know his capable of then there's a good chance he can wrap up a first grade jumper at the expense of Lowrie or another of the fringes.

But at the moment Lowrie is excellent in all facits and covers forwards, halves and would slot into the backs comfortably as well, Browns got a ways to go before he covers Todd, whom I am happy to say is with Quinny the improved player of the season ATM.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Big Tim2 said:

All I care about is having the top 13 players on the field each week. Even with injuries, tanner is not good enough to play in the back row. His hit ups are as bad as neil pincinelli and his tackling lacks power. When we get a good coach that's not one of the boys, we can kiss tanner good bye.

Jayell

Juniors
Reegan Tanner is the sloppiest footballer i think i have ever seen.
Too many times he is a liability in defence around the ruck. Size in his case is no assest-he is an oaf. Tries hard though......

Ben

Bench
Tanner has been playing above expectation and that means that he is working on his game and trying. Maybe he doesn't have the natural talent, but he sure makes it up for determination. Just take a look at Newton and you can tell that natural talent does not mean anything in Rugby League if you are dedicated.

I have also heard from some one else on this forum that he has been training his arse off. We need players that are willing to improve their game rather than ones that just tag along. For me, i am happy with Tanner on the team, but i would rather him on the bench. But as a result of injuries, he has been forced onto the starting line-up, and i'm not complaining about his form as of yet.

RABK

Referee
He really needs a running game, it is atrocious to say the least. I think Milton Thaiday would make more metres in the forwards then Tanner does.

Tanner is defensively a rock, he hits very hard but he needs to know that a big hit ain't always on. He has let in a few soft tries going for a big hit or rushing up close to the line.

Latest posts