What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team to play Sharks:

SilentOne

Juniors
Is Sammy injured? He didn't play 4 nations so he should be fresh, but he seems injured or maybe out of form. Maybe he also needed to be dropped.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, Sam Rapira looks out of form. Disappointing.

Also interesting to see that Seymour is named at 5/8, for the Vulcans. Is Hohaia injured? He hasn't been named in the Vulcans side.

devoid

Juniors
Is Sammy injured? He didn't play 4 nations so he should be fresh, but he seems injured or maybe out of form. Maybe he also needed to be dropped.

He was injured in the trials; he definitely hasn't hit his straps yet. IMO Sam, Russell, and Azza are lucky to retain their places.

One Warrior

Bench
We may not see Seymour back, with both Johnson & John to return from injury and Godinet also available, Hohaia will bounce back for sure, too good a player not to, just hopefully not at fullback. Moon will also be used as injury cover.

Good to see changes made based on performance.
Should put the spark through the camp that they need to perform to keep their spots.
Good on you Ivan (is he reading this form now???:sarcasm:)

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Seymour will be back, no doubt about it. Maloney will have another brain explosion, or will turn into our new McKinnon and get suspended for looking at a ref the wrong way.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Lets be honest here guys... as much as we wanted to see changes; we got them...Great.

But we all know this will be for only one week (if that team evn stays close to what Ivan says in the first place). It will be back to last weeks team win or loss on Sunday.

You might be right, but I think the extent of these changes has less to do with Cleary suddenly growing a pair with his selections, and more to do with the extent & quality of the depth we have this year. He hasn't had as many quality options to work with in the past, so I'm not sure if it will be back to last weeks team after Sunday, even after a loss (unless it's a particularly bad one).

armchaircritic

Juniors
Very excited with the changes. Still think one of the front rowers needed to be dropped (wake up call). All of them have a had a poor game or two so I guess you can't single one out

Micistm

Bench
I think they'd all have the message now, loud and clear...and IMO we'll see a huge improvement next week win or lose

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i wonder how many of the big changes will pick up injuries during the week and we get the usual crap anyway?

Some of these changes are brave..Mateo will either kill it or it will go very wrong.

Too many changes could upset the balance of this side IMO.

The only thing you can do is give it a go...

LeagueNut

First Grade
Just on Locke, I'm guessing he's on the bench to cover in case we need to move Berrigan somewhere - i.e. Inu in to centre, Locke on the wing, Berrigan into hooker (or wherever we need him).

I'm worried about Mannering's position in the team now. Is he a first choice centre or a first choice second rower? It doesn't seem right that a captain can't command his own spot in the side.

Rich102

Staff member
Just on Locke, I'm guessing he's on the bench to cover in case we need to move Berrigan somewhere - i.e. Inu in to centre, Locke on the wing, Berrigan into hooker (or wherever we need him).

I'm worried about Mannering's position in the team now. Is he a first choice centre or a first choice second rower? It doesn't seem right that a captain can't command his own spot in the side.

I guess that's the danger of picking him. Luck & him are too similar to both be certainties in the back row. And, unlike some forwards, Luck has been doing what he does well.

OK, I think the changes are necessary and good. Now what about the lack of structure and attack? Will that just fix itself?

This is a start. Nothing more.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
Some of these changes are brave..Mateo will either kill it or it will go very wrong.

Too many changes could upset the balance of this side IMO.

The only thing you can do is give it a go...

To be fair the balance hasn't worked thus far. Has panic set in? what happens if this doesn't work. It smacks of Ivan not knowing what he is doing. 'ohhh I don't know what is wrong exactly so I'll just change everything, and hopefully it'll fix its self.......'

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
I guess that's the danger of picking him. Luck & him are too similar to both be certainties in the back row. And, unlike some forwards, Luck has been doing what he does well.

OK, I think the changes are necessary and good. Now what about the lack of structure and attack? Will that just fix itself?

This is a start. Nothing more.

Luck is to one dimensional, sure he makes 50 odd tackles, but watch half of them he is the second man in the other half weak - no game changing tackles.
Now watch him in the next game, The Warriors will get into the attacking 40(hopefully) he'll come in to first reciever and A. try to acted as a playmaker and pass, by doing so he'll tyhrow a hospital or stifle the attacking structure or B. will try to make a hit up, and get sent back having no penetration into the defensive line.

I'm sure he gives 100% but it's not working.
Switch it up - what if we were talking about a player who made heaps of hit-ups and yardage BUT done next to no tackling, and when he tried to it just disrupted the team or was ineffective....Would you have that kind of player in your team?

LeagueNut

First Grade
I read somewhere (it may have been on this forum) that Mateo doesn't look like he knows what his role in the team is, and that made sense to me. Hopefully by sending him out in the #6 jersey it'll be crystal clear what he is expected to do and not do.

I think the biggest "change" will come about IF Ivan has made it clear to everyone what they need to be doing. If Heremaia, Mateo or whoever are thinking "gee I could get pulled after 30 minutes if things don't work" then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Personally I think we need to stick with them for 80 minutes if possible (remember Manu vs the Eels a few years back??) instead of constantly chopping and changing during the match.

Rich102

Staff member
Luck is to one dimensional, sure he makes 50 odd tackles, but watch half of them he is the second man in the other half weak - no game changing tackles.
Now watch him in the next game, The Warriors will get into the attacking 40(hopefully) he'll come in to first reciever and A. try to acted as a playmaker and pass, by doing so he'll tyhrow a hospital or stifle the attacking structure or B. will try to make a hit up, and get sent back having no penetration into the defensive line.

I'm sure he gives 100% but it's not working.
Switch it up - what if we were talking about a player who made heaps of hit-ups and yardage BUT done next to no tackling, and when he tried to it just disrupted the team or was ineffective....Would you have that kind of player in your team?

My statement wasn't a defence of Luck in the team simply that he was doing what he normally does - whilst many forwards are not. (Not looking at any prop in particular).

Rich102

Staff member
I read somewhere (it may have been on this forum) that Mateo doesn't look like he knows what his role in the team is, and that made sense to me. Hopefully by sending him out in the #6 jersey it'll be crystal clear what he is expected to do and not do.

I think the biggest "change" will come about IF Ivan has made it clear to everyone what they need to be doing. If Heremaia, Mateo or whoever are thinking "gee I could get pulled after 30 minutes if things don't work" then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Personally I think we need to stick with them for 80 minutes if possible (remember Manu vs the Eels a few years back??) instead of constantly chopping and changing during the match.

I completely agree. Which is why I wonder how much confidence is being shown in Fish if Locke is sitting on the bench. Fish deserves a full 80 minutes - even if he drops balls in the first 10. (Manu was given that chance.)
Let's hope for a vast improvement.