What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team to play Sharks:

hitman82

Bench
I agree.
Ivan has cast the dice, now he needs to give this team a shot to show what they can do.
There's definitely potential for disaster, but personally I have a good feeling about it.

My favourite change is probably the fact we will have Ta'ai and Mateo starting on the field together.
For Tonga, with Mateo at 6 and Ukuma in the second row, this was a LETHAL combination and one I have been hoping for ever since Feleti signed with us.

Also excited about Maloney being given a chance to control the game. He may not have the vision of a top halfback but he certainly has the energy and enthusiasm and is a fantastic communicator.
Give the guy a couple of years and he could even be our captain.

Meth

Staff member
I'm worried about Mannering's position in the team now. Is he a first choice centre or a first choice second rower? It doesn't seem right that a captain can't command his own spot in the side.

He's definitely a first choice second rower. He is just the most reliable option at centre, given they've dropped Moon and lost Ropati

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
After a day thinking about it, I think Ivan is panicking.

I don't think there's too many people who would argue with that. It's a desperate move, a bit of "throw sh*t against the wall and hope it sticks". His job may depend on it working.

Regardless, I'm happy that he's at least taken a gamble. It would've been worse for him to maintain the status quo and eventually get sacked (not saying whether he would or wouldn't) without at least trying something different.

Izz

Bench
This is a lineup similar to one he tinkered with during the trials, so while there may be some panic, i don't think it's quite to the 'charging around his office in circles, pulling out his hair, then retreating beneath his desk to suck his thumb' panic yet.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
This is a lineup similar to one he tinkered with during the trials, so while there may be some panic, i don't think it's quite to the 'charging around his office in circles, pulling out his hair, then retreating beneath his desk to suck his thumb' panic yet.

Give it time!

hitman82

Bench
How many consecutive losses will seal our fate?

I reckon 3 more and we won't make the 8. We tend to do well late in the season, but 12 points off the top of a relatively evenly spread table would be near impossible to come back from. For us anyway.

But it's ok, we are gonna win this weekend. The dairy owner told me so. At least I think that's what he was saying.

jaseg

Juniors
hitman82: I think it was 2007 where the Warriors lost 6 in a row and ended up 4th. Of course, that year was quite odd - the Cowboys had just about the worst stats in every area yet ended up 3rd thanks to JT/Bowen, and Parra came from the sky to almost upset the somwhat inevitable Storm premiership. Also, that run came halfway through the season, not at the start.

I think this team has very much been picked for the Sharks as well as on form (or lack thereof). Think about it - at the moment, the Sharks are bashing teams all over... Gallen is in the form of his life, Tupou has rediscovered how to play the game, plus Smith, Douglas & Snowden all doing well. In response to this threat, Cleary's picked a lock at 6 and brought in Ukuma Ta'ai - to start the game. He's also picked the 2 best defensive centres we have to combat the strong running centres (and fringe forwards) of the Sharks.

I think Locke may drop off for Mara, but perhaps Taylor will play some 9 and Locke will provide cover for the Fish (if he has a shocker) or Mannering (to provide an extra forward) via Inu.

Leaguelass

Juniors
I don't get it - a lot of you were asking for - no demanding - changes and now that its happened there are a lot of negative comments.
How about being positive for once!
If we crash and burn on Sunday I'll be whinging with the rest of you but until that happens - if it happens - can't we just give it a rest!

And yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but a lot of it is so negative.

Last edited:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I don't get it - a lot of you were asking for - no demanding - changes and now that its happened there are a lot of negative comments.
How about being positive for once!
If we crash and burn on Sunday I'll be whinging with the rest of you but until then can't we just give it a rest!

EXACTLY!

You all got Ta'ai! You all got the Mannering-Luck backrow split up. And Hohaia & Seymour have been dropped!

What more do you whingy little bitches want??? A win???

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't think there's too many people who would argue with that. It's a desperate move, a bit of "throw sh*t against the wall and hope it sticks". His job may depend on it working.

Regardless, I'm happy that he's at least taken a gamble. It would've been worse for him to maintain the status quo and eventually get sacked (not saying whether he would or wouldn't) without at least trying something different.

I'd argue it. Three weeks a few players have looked listless and well out of touch - so they've been dropped. No desperation there, more a try new combinations thing sooner rather than later. I commend it - I would say it's more of a statement than desperation. It says to me no matter what your name is, you play badly you're going to miss out. Hopefully that'l shake a few folk up.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I wish he would sign with the Phoenix, they welcome fakers in soccer.

Everyone knows he's faking an ACL rupture. You said yourself, OB, that he was walking on it fine after halftime.

devoid

Juniors
I wish he would sign with the Phoenix, they welcome fakers in soccer.

Everyone knows he's faking an ACL rupture. You said yourself, OB, that he was walking on it fine after halftime.

Actually, he jogged half the field to the sheds at halftime. But that is not unusual with ACL's - Isaac John trained on his the following day, thought it was fine, blah, blah, blah. We will miss Jerome this year.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I wish I could fake an ACL tear and get off doing my job.

I won't miss JBro one bit. This season just got a whole lot better, in my books.