What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Manly

God-King Dean

Immortal
Interesting that last week Price only named 17 players & this week it's 21. I doubt very much that they'll run out the way the line up says.

Breathingfire

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/morris-stays-at-no.1-for-dragons-in-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/66414/default.aspx

Brett Morris's scintillating return to fullback against Wests Tigers last week has seen him handed the No.1 jersey for St George Illawarra's NRL clash with Manly on Saturday.
Morris was named in the custodian role just before kick-off at Kogarah last Friday for the first time since 2008 after injuries to centres Matt Cooper and Beau Scott forced coach Steve Price into reshuffling his side.
The move was a roaring success with the Dragons running out 36-12 winners and Morris producing a man-of-the-match display.
Cooper returns to the starting line-up and Scott is named on an extended bench with Kyle Stanley likely to drop out of the side if NSW utility Scott is passed fit to play.
Manly have not named Tony Williams in their side to face the Dragons following his possible seven-match suspension for a dangerous tackle on Cronulla's Isaac De Gois on Monday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think so, but stranger things have happened. I thought he was great on Friday night!

hardbaby

Coach
I'd be pissed off if that happens but with the log jam in the forwards I guess it's possible. Style's position is not secure. Personally I think his brother (when fit) is a better centre anyway.

His best chance may be a utility position, interchanging with the starting hooker and offering injury cover in the backline. I think Fien is living on borrowed time and if King signed with the Knights, this move is possible IMO.

Regardless of the pecking order, last week showed conclusively that there are better centre options that Beau Scott.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He was registered at the time to Souths Brisbane and came down on an alias to trial w the dragons "Mickey Lane" scored 2 tries by halftime and was signed on the spot..

Why the dumb question??
Google is a wonderful thing.

Harry Bath's idea. What brand of cigarettes was Harry smoking during the trial? A true fan of Mickey would know.

Reyter

Juniors
I'd be pissed off if that happens but with the log jam in the forwards I guess it's possible. Style's position is not secure. Personally I think his brother (when fit) is a better centre anyway.

His best chance may be a utility position, interchanging with the starting hooker and offering injury cover in the backline. I think Fien is living on borrowed time and if King signed with the Knights, this move is possible IMO.

Regardless of the pecking order, last week showed conclusively that there are better centre options that Beau Scott.

If they really have signed Beale I can only presume they plan to use Stanley in the halves after Hornby retires. Playing in the forwards isn't his game at all. Regardless, I disagree about his brother being a better center.

Louiethefly

Juniors
Sorry, I didn't realize you were the team doctor. How long is De Belin out for?

This is going around in circles, All I have said was that it would be better to rest De Belin for a week then having him run around all year with growing niggles. I'm not sure why you are trying to argue that point, do you disagree?

hardbaby

Coach
If they really have signed Beale I can only presume they plan to use Stanley in the halves after Hornby retires. Playing in the forwards isn't his game at all. Regardless, I disagree about his brother being a better center.

Many hookers started their careers in the halves. The ball playing and vision is not dissimilar. Defence can be a problem but certainly not with Style. He is an excellent defender. He would be dynamic at dummy half and offers amazing utility value (similar to the role Gidley and Cronk have played at State of Origin level). But you're right. His future lies elsewhere. My previous post is purely based on this year and what may happen.

As for Style vs Chase, I guess time will tell. When Chase first hit the scene he was incredible. He went on to play for the Kiwis (as a winger) and from memory scored two tries on debut. Injuries have held him back. As to who will have will have the better career, I'd vote for Style. As to who is the better centre, I think Chase would have him covered.

redvwhite

Juniors
Blood Style at halfback asap and Chase waits out his turn in the centres. Simple. Hornby to carry the oranges.

Minh

First Grade
We have amazing depth this year it's a really good thing, especially in the forwards I can't pick it, I just hope we do not put Beau Scott in the centres again.

TheRev

First Grade
We have amazing depth this year it's a really good thing, especially in the forwards I can't pick it, I just hope we do not put Beau Scott in the centres again.

I'd forgotten about chase (look forward to seeing how he has improved), and yes there is still some work to do in establishing the best player in each position, but were getting closer... and we have plenty of time to work it out yet, not to mention origin period.

I would be very cranky if Scott plays in the centres, but I can understand why Kyle's position would be in jeopardy if his brother is fit.. Kyle is a work in progress at the moment, he looked a lot better last year from I think it was left winger or left centre, and im happy to keep persisting, but I dont blame Price, because Chase deserves a chance at Right Centre since I believe that's his preferred position?

Reyter

Juniors
This is going around in circles, All I have said was that it would be better to rest De Belin for a week then having him run around all year with growing niggles. I'm not sure why you are trying to argue that point, do you disagree?

As I said to start with, De Belin will be and should be in the team "unless he is injured".

Last edited:

Reyter

Juniors
Many hookers started their careers in the halves. The ball playing and vision is not dissimilar. Defence can be a problem but certainly not with Style. He is an excellent defender. He would be dynamic at dummy half and offers amazing utility value (similar to the role Gidley and Cronk have played at State of Origin level). But you're right. His future lies elsewhere. My previous post is purely based on this year and what may happen.

As for Style vs Chase, I guess time will tell. When Chase first hit the scene he was incredible. He went on to play for the Kiwis (as a winger) and from memory scored two tries on debut. Injuries have held him back. As to who will have will have the better career, I'd vote for Style. As to who is the better centre, I think Chase would have him covered.

He has the wrong build for a hooker. He came on at hooker a few times last year and was quite poor. I mean, poor by his standards. He is first and foremost a half or 5/8. After that he is a center and after that, anywhere else in the backline. I guess he could even play lock but as I said, playing on the forwards is not his go.

hardbaby

Coach
Agree with everything you say. I just have a suspicion he may jag a bench spot by year end and that means playing hooker for some of it. It's about getting your best players on the field. Hopefully King will re-sign and the argument is moot. In truth there will probably be an injury and it won't matter. And of course, Chase may play like a busted and Style gets bragging rights over his brother.

Louiethefly

Juniors
As I said to start with, De Belin will be and should be in the team "unless he is injured".

I am not disputing that JDB should be in the team if he is 100% fit mate, I'm just saying after seeing his injury last game he *could* have a niggle and it wouldn't be worth risking him *if* he does. In which case resting him for a week wouldn't be a bad option considering the depth we have in the 2nd row this year. I think we are agreeing?

Goddo

Bench
Scott in for De Belin, King in for Fien and Cooper in for Green. three straight swaps. Scott would push prior back to lock, Kyle stays at right centre.​

1. B-Moz
2. Vidot
3. Style
4. Cooper
5. Nighty
6. Soward
7. Hornbag
8. Hunt
9. Rein
10. Weyman
11. Scott
12. Creagh
13. Prior​

14. King
15. Merrin
16. Latimore
17. Young​

I think this is the lineup that will take the field on saturday night (barring freak injuries at training, etc) seems pretty strong to me.​

Looking really good. I'm am keen to see what King can do as a bench hooker. Will add a lot to our attack hopefully when he comes on.

Asside, next year will it be more like

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. C Stanley
4. Cooper / Green
5. Nightingale
6. K Stanley
7. Soward
8. Hunt
9. Rein
10. Weyman
11. Creagh
12. Prior
13. DeBelin

14. King
15. Merrin
16. Latimore

Or do we continue with Style at centre and look for a 7? Seems we need either a centre or halfback if Beale is sorted at fullback.​

Last edited: