What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Manly

hardbaby

Coach
I just don't see Hornby getting dropped. Maybe a tap on the shoulder at the end of the year. But I'd be stunned if it happened any earlier.

TheRev

Coach
I just don't see Hornby getting dropped. Maybe a tap on the shoulder at the end of the year. But I'd be stunned if it happened any earlier.

I think im the only one left who wants to experiment with him @ fullback.. on the assumption that we want to keep Hornby (our captain) on the field 'and' give Kyle a chance at halfback...

But it sounds like Kyle has to wait till next year atleast and just be thrown in with no backup plan.

Looking really good. I'm am keen to see what King can do as a bench hooker. Will add a lot to our attack hopefully when he comes on.

Asside, next year will it be more like

1. Beale
2. Morris
3. C Stanley
4. Cooper / Green
5. Nightingale
6. K Stanley
7. Soward
8. Hunt
9. Rein
10. Weyman
11. Creagh
12. Prior
13. DeBelin

14. King
15. Merrin
16. Latimore

Or do we continue with Style at centre and look for a 7? Seems we need either a centre or halfback if Beale is sorted at fullback.​

Why is there Slash next to Coopers name?

We NEED him for at least 2 more seasons.

Minh

First Grade
I understand why so many Saints supporters are so keen to have Kyle in the halves he looks very capable but I think Hornby will know when his time is up and when to call it quits. He is still the captain, has plenty to offer and a great leader and clubman.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I understand why so many Saints supporters are so keen to have Kyle in the halves he looks very capable but I think Hornby will know when his time is up and when to call it quits. He is still the captain, has plenty to offer and a great leader and clubman.

I'm inclined to agree. I think he still offers good direction for the side. There has been a lot said over the last three seasons that he does not pose enough of an attacking threat. I don't really think this is his role. Yes, a halfback should take the line on etc...I know all the cliches but he is the reason we have had great shape and structure over the last few years. I love how he'll throw an early ball to the right if the centre has a bit of room. I love how he shapes to pass and then straightens the attack. I love his support play, scrambling defence and courage under the high ball. Soward is our attacking dynamo and with a little more potency out of dummy half from Rein and King, Hornby only has to keep doing what he has always done; lead the side around the park!!!!

Last edited:

Reyter

Juniors
I am not disputing that JDB should be in the team if he is 100% fit mate, I'm just saying after seeing his injury last game he *could* have a niggle and it wouldn't be worth risking him *if* he does. In which case resting him for a week wouldn't be a bad option considering the depth we have in the 2nd row this year. I think we are agreeing?

I believe it's a problem with English grammar. "If he is injured they shouldn't play him" and "unless he is injured they should play him" are both conditional sentences and mean precisely the same thing.

Reyter

Juniors

He is for sure a good great captain and clubman and etc. He is a solid half as well. I just think Stanley should be given a chance at 5/8, moving Soward to half ASAP. How long has it been since the Dragons had a great playmaker? Of course too soon to say Stanley will be that but from what I have seen, it looks promising.

TheRev

Coach

I dont know the kids situation well enough, but if the kid cant find a starting spot (fullback is out, Chase possibly takes his centre spot), the last thing I want to do is risk losing him (ala Beau Henry) because Hornby wants to hang around an extra season.

Its no disrespect to Hornby who can certainly play and is a legend, but "if" it comes to a choice of investing time and money in the next generation or the one about to check out, I want to spend it on securing the youth.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Hornby is crucial for us. People need to stop thinking he'll be dropped. He won't!! He may not be a fast as he used to be, but he's got a great footy brain, he leads us well, his defence in the middle is outstanding... I for one think we need him. He also wont retire at years end either.

Minh

First Grade
I dont know the kids situation well enough, but if the kid cant find a starting spot (fullback is out, Chase possibly takes his centre spot), the last thing I want to do is risk losing him (ala Beau Henry) because Hornby wants to hang around an extra season.

Its no disrespect to Hornby who can certainly play and is a legend, but "if" it comes to a choice of investing time and money in the next generation or the one about to check out, I want to spend it on securing the youth.

I thought he played extremely well in the centres the other night I'm pretty sure he is a big part of the clubs plans for the future. He doesn't look likely to lose his spot in the team anytime soon.

Minh

First Grade
Agree with you BBC, he does a lot of good things that probably goes unnoticed. He has the respect of all the players as a leader which counts for a lot too.

Cagey Mac

Bench
but he's a local junior BBC, and we all know what you think of them

Can we not have another thread that degenerates into cheap shots
It's spring (the UK does have one from memory) over there Gypsy..lighten up
Hornby's game with Style alongside was excellent in both defence and attack.
I criticised coach price for shifting him to the right in defence buy he did well last week and I may well have been out of line (I hope so)

If you ask the players or anyone at the club, I'm sure they would all agree that Ben Hornby has the halfback spot for as long as he wants it.

Why would there be any doubt? He's a club legend.

Louiethefly

Juniors
I think out of Hornby, Kyle and Soward Hornby is the only player that takes the ball to the line and puts the defence in two minds/creates room for his outside men. Kyle runs the ball more than the other two, and Soward probably has the best passing/kicking game but it doesn't matter how well you can pass or run the ball if the defence always knows that you are about to do it. We need at least one half taking the ball to the line, and at this point I think Hornby is the best at doing it.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I think out of Hornby, Kyle and Soward Hornby is the only player that takes the ball to the line and puts the defence in two minds/creates room for his outside men. Kyle runs the ball more than the other two, and Soward probably has the best passing/kicking game but it doesn't matter how well you can pass or run the ball if the defence always knows that you are about to do it. We need at least one half taking the ball to the line, and at this point I think Hornby is the best at doing it.

Yeah he is very underrated. He is not the most fashionable type and that may be the reason, but my eyes tell me he is doing a great job.

Reyter

Juniors

Hornby is a good player. He doesn't worry the opposition defence at all. I have seen 2 games where Stanley played in the halves. Against the Cowboys last year and Souths 2 years ago. In both games he did take the ball to the line and until last Friday, they were the best attacking displays the Dragons had put on in 3 years. In both they probably should have gone on with it but for Bennett's penchant for conservative football.

I don't think any real Dragons fans are going to criticize Hornby. All we are saying is that he has been great for many years but now there is a better option and the Dragons winning is more important than Hornby keeping his position. I'm not saying he should be dropped and retire immediately but I think Stanley should be given a chance in the halves ASAP. If he and Soward don't play well together (both their preferred positions are 5/8), maybe Soward should be dropped. If Stanley isn't as good in the halves as I and many other believe he is, go back to Hornby and Soward.

It's not like the Dragons would be simply betraying Hornby. He has been paid a large amount and I know many are talking about him becoming a coach. He probably has a job for life at the Dragons if he wants it.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
Hornby is a good player. He doesn't worry the opposition defence at all. I have seen 2 games where Stanley played in the halves. Against the Cowboys last year and Souths 2 years ago. In both games he did take the ball to the line and until last Friday, they were the best attacking displays the Dragons had put on in 3 years. In both they probably should have gone on with it but for Bennett's penchant for conservative football.

I don't think any real Dragons fans are going to criticize Hornby. All we are saying is that he has been great for many years but now there is a better option and the Dragons winning is more important than Hornby keeping his position. I'm not saying he should be dropped and retire immediately but I think Stanley should be given a chance in the halves ASAP. If he and Soward don't play well together (both their preferred positions are 5/8), maybe Soward should be dropped. If Stanley isn't as good in the halves as I and many other believe he is, go back to Hornby and Soward.

It's not like the Dragons would be simply betraying Hornby. He has been paid a large amount and I know many are talking about him becoming a coach. He probably has a job for life at the Dragons if he wants it.

- Yeah this is really well summed up, Hornby really is a gun & his experience incredibly valuable with the retiring of senior players like Coops & Young, but we also need to "plan ahead" at the same time, which is something we havent really done well lately.

- If Chase Stanley &/or Beale play well, Kyle wont have a spot in the backline, and if he is genuinely our future half, he needs an opportunity to prove hes worth the time and money we will need to retain him.

- I mean if Soward gets picked for Origin, then that will give Kyle a few games to strut his stuff at 5/8, but either way I want him to get his shot this year, while we still have Hornby & Soward to fall back on, not after Hornby has already retired or worse have Kyle end up at another club.