What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Newcastle ?

phantom eel

First Grade
Two poor losses in a row, against teams we had every right to beat. Time to make some changes BA.

1. Robinson (no-one else available this season, thanks Jarryd...)
2. Radradra (or until fit, Faraimo...)
3. Hopoate (he's a centre or nothing, I'm sure he'd rather play centre...)
4. Takarangi (or until fit, Folau...)
5. Um... Morgan ? But either Folau/Faraimo as soon as players return from injury...)
6. Sandow (minding Foran's jersey for next season...)
7. Norman (runs the team in attack anyway...)
8. Mannah (only until Junior Paulo returns, then starting from bench...)
9. Peats (80 mins)
10. Wicks
11. M'au
12. Moeroa
13. Gower

14. Um... Sef Paulo? (we need someone who can step in for an injury in spine or/backline, otherwise he plays second row rotation)
15. Watmough (back/front row interchange, middle or edge)
16. Lussick (front row rotation)
17. Fa'aoso (why not give him a try until Junior Paulo's back)
18. Terepo or Pauli, if we really wanted to get rid of the utility player factor from the bench.

Ok, not really much of a change until the injuries/suspension resolve.... Edwards and Champion obviously not included for the rest of the season. De Gois to come straight in for Peats if he needs a week off.

Next year shapes ok with Foran in for Sandow, Hopoate (or a replacement) in the centres, Scott coming into the back row (Watmough into the prop rotation if we lose Lussick)... we really just need a fullback, as a replacement for Jarryd one year too late.

verticalsmile

Juniors
Phantom eel Already looking to next year....(MAY BE A TROLL):sarcasm:

f**k next year lets try next century.....

Hay why don't we sign the ghost who walks..........

Good old crapamatta

CTID

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
1. Robbo
2. Goodall
3. Hoppa
4. Taka
5. Crooks or Lavaka (f**k it, give either of them a shot - sink or swim)
6. Norman
7. Sandow
8. Wicks (Mannah with Wicks on the bench)
9. Peats (C)
10. Lussick
11. Gower
12, Ma'o
13. Watmough
14. Tepai
15. Richie Faaoso (if he is ready) More than likely he will drop off the bench with Wicks taking his spot & Mannah starting @ 8
16. Terepo
17. Pauli Pauli (if he is ready)

J Paulo banished from the NRL
Timmy Mannah - off for two weeks intense counselling to deal with NRL repression issues.

eels_fan

First Grade
Hoppa (we all know he'll be picked there, only hope he won't run out to That position)
Robinson
Morgan
Taka
Folau
Norman
Sandow
Mannah
Peats
Lussick
Ma'u
Gower
Watmough

Paulo
Wicks
Pauli
Terepo/Fa'aoso

Given all the guys OUT its hard to put out a decent side, hwowever IMO even this one is better balanced than the one we have out there at the moment.

1 Robinson
2 Folau
3 Hopoate
4 Morgan
5 Lavaka
6 Norman
7 Sandow
8 Lussick
9 Peats
10 Wicks
11 Mau
12 Gower
13 Watmough

14 Ryan Matterson
15 Pauli Pauli
16 Terepo
17 Mannah

Incorrect

Coach
Assuming Taka is fit this week... I'd go with something like this;

1. Robinson
2. Folau
3. Hoppa
4. Taka
5. Goodall
6. Norman
7. Sandow
8. Mannah
9. Peats
10. Lussick
11. Tepai
12. Ma'u
13. Watmough

14. IDG
15. Wicks
16. Gower
17. Pauli/Terepo

I was hoping, like most, that Hoppa would step up and make the fullback posiiton his own but it just isn't clicking for him back there at the moment. Robinson was good at FB when Dugan was at the Raiders, his blinding speed might help us take advantage of half breaks that Hoppa hasn't been able to. Folau and Goodall have the size we need to round out the back 3 and get our sets off to a good start. The next 3 weeks are an audition for one of them to make it their own and one makes way when Semi comes back.

Watmough needs a rocket. As has been pointed out, while you can't question the guys effort, his execution is blighting his repuatation. If Kenny Edwarsd was available I'd be putting Choc back to the bench but hopefully he gets his decision making right and gets back to something near his best.

I think Tepai should come back in. I've listed him as starting but could handle him on the bench and starting Gower instead. Whilst ever De Gois is in teh 17, you can't have a guy like Seffa Paulo playing first grade and Tepai playing for Wenty IMO. Pauli and Terepo fight it out for the last spot. It's now or never for Pauli's career at the Eels methinks. The signing of Scott may be an indication that Choc will see out his career in the front row, and with Wicks also re-signed, Pauli and Peni need to step it up if they are going to be retained I think. Which is a shame. Ideally, if you could combine Pauli's physical attributes and Peni's attitude, you'd have a hell of a player. Pauli seems to lack a little bit of focus, Peni seems to lack a little bit of skill...

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Robinson is no better under the high ball than Hoppa, but at least he has some speed.

Yep, that's why I'd look at giving Robinson a shot at #1. Have we seen Sandow or Norman try and do one of those short kicks behind the line for Hoppa this year a la Cronk for Slater, Brooks for Tedesco? Robinson has the speed to make such a tactic at least plausible... An extra string to the attacking bow...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
1 Hoppa
2 Morgan
3 Manu
4 Mr T
5 Robinson
6 Norman
7 Sandow
8 Lussick
9 Peats
10 Mannah
11 Moeroa
12 Gower
13 Watmough

14 Wicks
15 Pauli
16 Terepo
17 Richie

Two wingers with speed, two centres that can attack and offload. A decent size bench

84 Baby

Referee
Yep, that's why I'd look at giving Robinson a shot at #1. Have we seen Sandow or Norman try and do one of those short kicks behind the line for Hoppa this year a la Cronk for Slater, Brooks for Tedesco? Robinson has the speed to make such a tactic at least plausible... An extra string to the attacking bow...

I don't think I've seen Hoppa chase an attacking kick all year. Hayne used to regularly ("but he's a lazy player"). Even IF he doesn't have the speed to retrieve the kick, he can at least be there for the tackle

Chipmunk

Coach
This is the forward pack and four interchanges and the amount of minutes that I think each player should play for this weekend.

Darcy Lussick 40
Nathan Peats 80
Tim Mannah 45
Manu Ma'u 70
Tepai Moeroa 60
Anthony Watmough 55

David Gower 40
Pauli Pauli 20
Danny Wicks 40
Terepo or Fa'aoso 30

This is when I would plan the interchanges
1. 20 mins - Lussick OFF - Wicks ON
2. 25 mins - Mannah OFF, Gower ON
3. 30 mins – Watmough OFF, Terepo/Fa’aoso On (Gower to Watmough role, Terepo/Fa’aoso to Mannah role)
4. 50 mins – Moeroa OFF – Pauli ON
5. 55 mins – Ma’u OFF, Watmough ON (Gower to Left Edge)
6. 60 mins – Terepo/Fa’aoso OFF – Mannah ON
7. 60 mins – Wicks OFF, Lussick ON
8. 65 mins – Gower OFF, Ma’u ON
9. 70 mins – Pauli OFF, Moeroa ON
10. Spare interchange up our sleeve.

Gower is probably a player I would try and get some more minutes for.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
1 Hoppa
2 Morgan
3 Manu
4 Mr T
5 Robinson
6 Norman
7 Sandow
8 Lussick
9 Peats
10 Mannah
11 Moeroa
12 Gower
13 Watmough

14 Wicks
15 Pauli
16 Terepo
17 Richie

Two wingers with speed, two centres that can attack and offload. A decent size bench

Is Takairangi a change of being back this week?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Is Takairangi a change of being back this week?

Someone reliable, can't remember who, said he was at training and running last week. Also in the papers last week it was suggested he was a possible late inclusion for Titans game. So I assume he would be pretty close to returning this week.

eels_fan

First Grade
Massoud just tweeted that Taka & Semi likely back this week.

Cannot see any chance of Semi being back, but would be a massive gain for us if he was. Seems too rushed to me