What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TEAMS: Eels vs Roosters Rd 12

yy_cheng

Coach
Bigfella said:
YY I agree go forward is a major issue

Just look at how hard it is for us to get out of our 30 when we have to ruck it out from our own in goal.

Grothe not being there didn't help as he makes close to 10m running from dummy half and he doesn't get dominated and thus the markers aren't really set and another quick spurt from a quickish dummy half players can get us another 10.

I really don't think Wagon, Chad, Morro and Stringer are the players to get us out of our own 30.

If only Azza and Jack would step up. Azza & Jack in form plus Moimoi will do me just fine.

1. Dummy half. PJ did not run once. Hence the defence was in absolutely NO doubt who was getting the ball. Service was a bit slow, especially when passing to the left.

2. No Decoy runners. Closely related to 1. One out runners get picked off. On the odd occasion we used them ie in the first 10 minutes and inside the opposition 20 we had some success.

3. Play the ball. We keep losing the contest hence slow play the balls, defence has more time. When added to 1 and 2 above - this adds up to our one out runners being smashed.

4. Fitness. I have been addressing this since early rounds. Perhaps the combination of points 1 to 3 above have made us look less fit than we are; perhaps our lack of fitness has simply exacerbated them further.

Either way, if 1-4 don't change, swapping the forwards around won't make a difference.

1. Agree. PJ seemed to float the ball out of dummy half last week instead of firing quick torpedo passes.

2. Widders should try and run back into the ruck.

3. Stringer and Hindy usually don't get dominated in the ruck. However, the others do. Moimoi gets dominated, but because he's made good metres and usually has bumped a player off, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Tahu was also missing from the side and like Grothe gets a lot of metres from dummy half.

Moimoi doesn't get dominated the way the other players do

when teams just put normal tackles on Moimoi he either breaks them or carries them (in some times like Friday night over the line for a try) but after that opponents put big hits on Fui that would cause any player to get dominated.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yeah, I shouldn't say he gets dominated. However, I can understand why he gets stuffed so easily.

- Runs with acceleration before getting the ball.
- Hits the line hard.
- Struggles and carries 2-3 players on his back.
- Get buried under a mountain of men
- Sometimes he does 2 runs per set.
- His teammates then drops the ball.
- He has to defend.

Gee, that would bugger anyone who is willing to put up their hands except maybe hindy

Bigfella

Coach
And of course, when the rest of the side ask NO questions of the defence - they just triple team him - and eventually dominate.

I note also that both Manly and Penrith used high tackles on him fairly often (with virtually no penalties). He often lost momentum due to requiring treatment.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yeah, he grabs his head alot after tackles.

That's why with so little props in this weeks team, injuries to Fuifui and Stringer could really do us in.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
yy_cheng said:
- Runs with acceleration before getting the ball.
- Hits the line hard.
- Struggles and carries 2-3 players on his back.
- Get buried under a mountain of men
- Sometimes he does 2 runs per set.

I just wish the rest of our pack did that. Especially running onto the ball, how many times do our forwards not hit the ball at pace? Almost every time.

No wonder we have no go forward, and our lack of go forward is also due to the fact that our forwards are running one out. There is no questions being asked of the defensive line.

sooperdooper

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
We're going to get belted :(

I think we'll start well but that bench is possibly the weakest one available. You can't take 3 props into a match unless one of them can play alot of minutes, none of our props can do that.

Delaney is playing terrible footy, but still retains his place over Luke O'Dwyer who had a great game? I'll have to assume it's all because of goalkicking but it looks like Delaney is going to be JT's pet. But apart from Delaney, our backs look very good (on paper anyway). Please get match fit quickly Benny, we need you mate!

i just want to know how he is playing terrible footy?

yy_cheng

Coach
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
I just wish the rest of our pack did that. Especially running onto the ball, how many times do our forwards not hit the ball at pace? Almost every time.

Caylo does when he puts in although he's not fast but when he does, he's hard to wrestle to the ground.

This is what I expected from our young guns. Cordorba and Zeb. They are young and should be running onto the ball like a bull. So I was bitterly dissappointed.

But then if you think about it, our backs are the same. No one really runs onto the ball from our backline either.

Tahu and Wade uses footwork to get through. Grothe too together with strength.

Our whole team is pretty much flatfooted.

Pazza

First Grade
B Smith, Tahu and Grothe make heaps of metres early in our sets. I think we really missed that last week. they take alot of pressure off the forwards.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think we're missing Cayless.

He makes good metres. I thought he and Fui were our best against the Dogs.

Bigfella

Coach
We have had the same problem in virtually every game that Cayless has played this season too.

Manly and Tigers may be the exception, but there were periods in those games when we lost all momentum as well.