What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TEAMS: Eels vs Roosters Rd 12

ParraAds

Juniors
I like Cannings as a player, extremely big and strong with some good pace and skill, if he can stay on the park for a couple of weeks and impress then I reckon he should be kept for another season, I reckon he's worth the risk.

Not sure why Delaney was kept over O'Dwyer, seems strange, John Williams is unlucky not to keep his spot, 3 first grade matches for John now and they were all one offs.

I didn't see Premier League last week but I assume Tim Smith didn't set the world on fire, should be forced to fight his way back in.

Eelementary

Post Whore
nöyd said:
NRL

1 – Joel REDDY
2 – Jarryd HAYNE
3 – Brett DELANEY
4 – Timana TAHU
5 - Eric GROTHE
6 – John MORRIS
7 – Jeremy SMITH
8 – Fuifui MOIMOI
9 – PJ MARSH
10 – Paul STRINGER
11 – Nathan HINDMARSH
12 – Chad ROBINSON
13 – Glenn MORRISON
14 – Mark RIDDELL
15 - Dean WIDDERS
16 – Daniel WAGON
17 – Michael VELLA
18 – Luke O’DWYER

Fascinating selections, JT...

Stringer?

And Wags on the bench? He offers little impact. I'd take Robinson out and replace him with Wagon.

Eelementary

Post Whore
_goParra said:
No go forward except for fui

I suspect that, rather than trying to out-muscle their pack, we're going for a more conservative approach and trying to contain theirs.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
Fascinating selections, JT...

Stringer?

And Wags on the bench? He offers little impact. I'd take Robinson out and replace him with Wagon.

he would in a tight game, especially if we're in front.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You think so?

I think he deserves a spot in the team after last week. For all the critcism he gets, he's a great defender and he also harrasses the key opposition players very well.

And he is a senior player that always gives 100% for us.

I would have Robinson in the front row with Wagon in the second-row.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
oh and Tim Smith doesn't deserve to be in 1st grade after his "effort" in reggies I'd go as far as to say he should be warming the bench in reggies.

Considering all the press etc I was expecting him to come out fired up fighting to get back into the top grade but he failed to do anything.

for all his negatives at least Petersen looked like he wanted to try and get back into the top grade and scored 2 tries in that game.

I agree but is timmy isnt ment to be in first this week why put piggy up he was just as bad last friday..

And peterson scored 2 trys werent they setup by timmy??

Stagger eel

Staff member
Y2Eel said:

Mate, Tim was terrible he definitely needs some time in PL and if he personaly made that choice well? he probably made the right one.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Y2Eel said:
I agree but is timmy isnt ment to be in first this week why put piggy up he was just as bad last friday..

1st one may have been but the 2nd wasn't

Timmy may have thrown the last pass but it wasn't set up by him.

and yes Riddell wasn't his best last week but he showed some sort of detirmination to right the wrongs both for Monday and his poor form in previous weeks.

sure, he didn't set the world on fire but in saying that

if you gave Timmy a 5/10 of his game
Riddell is an 11/10

nöyd

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
1st one may have been but the 2nd wasn't

Timmy may have thrown the last pass but it wasn't set up by him.

Aahhh I see now, that's the difference between Andrew Johns and every other halfback in the NRL.

*Timmy (or any other half) throws the last pass before the try is scored but doesn't get credited with setting it up

and

*Johns passes from the scrum base, the ball goes through 4 or 5 sets of hands and Johns gets most of if not all the credit.

:? ;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
nöyd said:
Aahhh I see now, that's the difference between Andrew Johns and every other halfback in the NRL.

*Timmy (or any other half) throws the last pass before the try is scored but doesn't get credited with setting it up

and

*Johns passes from the scrum base, the ball goes through 4 or 5 sets of hands and Johns gets most of if not all the credit.

:? ;-)

The try assist rule is a joke

Everyone (including myself) was talking up Timmy last year when he got 40 try assists but some of those other players did more work but Timmy threw the final pass so he got credit for it.

in the 2nd try

Timmy passed the ball to Petersen who needed to beat 2-3 tacklers before diving over out wide avoiding the corner post.

you can't give Timmy credit when that much work needs to be done

Hellsy

Immortal
Jesseel said:
BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY BENNY :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Oh thankgoodness!!!!!!!

Gee I feel bad for btoh Chalky and JohnnyW.

I guess they will play should Tahu and Eric not pull up from Origin though, but still

Good on Tim for deciding to stay in Ressies, work yourself out Tim then come back to us a stronger person

Pazza

First Grade
We definately need another prop in there, even if its Peek. I dont think Moi Moi, Stringer and Vella are fit enough for a 3 prop rotation. Apart from that im happy. Hoping to see improved work rates from Morrison and Robinson.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pazza said:
We definately need another prop in there, even if its Peek. I dont think Moi Moi, Stringer and Vella are fit enough for a 3 prop rotation. Apart from that im happy. Hoping to see improved work rates from Morrison and Robinson.

especially Stringer

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Hellsy said:
Oh thankgoodness!!!!!!!

Gee I feel bad for btoh Chalky and JohnnyW.

I guess they will play should Tahu and Eric not pull up from Origin though, but still

Good on Tim for deciding to stay in Ressies, work yourself out Tim then come back to us a stronger person

I thought apart from 1 tackle Hayne was very quiet and Williams would be the preferred option.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
I thought apart from 1 tackle Hayne was very quiet and Williams would be the preferred option.

what about the other try saver, where he intercepted a pass that was meant for his opposing winger?

Bigfella

Coach
YY I agree go forward is a major issue

With the exception of Fui - which can't be sustained in any case - it seems to be irrelevant who is hitting the ball up, we are being smashed well on nour side of the advantage line.

There is no doubt that we lost the game from about the 10 to 30 minute mark Friday when the ball stayed in possession of both teams but Panthers made 40-70 metres a set and we made 20-40. At the end of that period we were gone.

Seeing that no one bar Fui made any impression it seems to me that factors other than simply effort or skill are involved. SOme of these I would suggest include:

1. Dummy half. PJ did not run once. Hence the defence was in absolutely NO doubt who was getting the ball. Service was a bit slow, especially when passing to the left.
2. No Decoy runners. Closely related to 1. One out runners get picked off. On the odd occasion we used them ie in the first 10 minutes and inside the opposition 20 we had some success.
3. Play the ball. We keep losing the contest hence slow play the balls, defence has more time. When added to 1 and 2 above - this adds up to our one out runners being smashed.
4. Fitness. I have been addressing this since early rounds. Perhaps the combination of points 1 to 3 above have made us look less fit than we are; perhaps our lack of fitness has simply exacerbated them further.

Either way, if 1-4 don't change, swapping the forwards around won't make a difference.

Hurriflatch

Referee
JT said last week he just wanted to get back to basics I'm guessing/hoping that 2nd phase play, decoy runners and dummy half runs will be brought back this week.

One of those "odd occassions" that a decoy runner was used (Fui ironically) John Williams scored

Bigfella

Coach
Hurri, I guess the point is that it is pretty hard to make yards when you get the ball with no space, no advantage and no room from the defnece.

This "excuse" may also apply to the centres / outside backs. We have all criticised Delaney for lack of penetration, but TBH Ben Smith was travelling no better this year before his injury.

Probably a reflection of the lack of options being presented to runners. Comes down to the main source of creativity; the dummy halves and halves.
No coincidence that these have been our most unsettled combinations.

I guess this can turn into a bit of a chicken and egg, because plenty of people will tell you no one can go forward unless the forwards do first ... I don't think it's so cut and dried ...