What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tears of the Bogan

Life's Good

Coach
Disagree with the last part. The media jumped on Fudge's redemption story simply because he played footy and didn't kill anyone for 12 months after getting out of gaol. I don't like Dugan at all but the fact Fudge gets a free pass while blokes that drink too much get made out to be enemies of society is pretty sickening.

That's a fair point about Packer and one I agree with completely. I will say though there was a bit of press about Packers remorse(some will argue there wasn't), he completed a university degree and was effectively a model player in his time with us(and I believe still with the Tigers). Now, I wasn't happy at all that he signed with us(I genuinely see our club as pretty d*ckhead free, player wise)but in his time he didn't put a foot wrong to warrant any further attention. Is that good luck, good management? Not sure.

I'm pretty confident the Sharks fans have a greater dislike of Buzz than anyone and, as a result, he treats their club like a little plaything in the media under the guise of 'unbiased journalism'. That's not excusing Dugan(or Fifita)but I think they come in for more attention than a lot of what they do deserves because, as you say, there are plenty that get a free pass along the way - Immortals & future immortals included(and thats not me judging, just observing).

Last edited:

txta2

Bench
I like how the NRL have come out today and started digging around Moylans history with the story "What caused Moylans split from Panthers".
Here is another player with past mental health issues yet they seem to of gone for the jugular with bad timing.

Danish

Referee
Another interesting angle on this that I realised when discussing the story with a mate.

Dugan has had this kid’s name on his wrist since he died, and pointed to it after every try. Yet we’ve only heard about this now.

Compare this to fifita, who had a few initials on his wrist and would point to it after he scored. Within a couple weeks it was front and back page news. we knew what they meant, who the person was, and why that was a “bad look” for the game.

This tells me that the media most certainly knew about dugan’s relationship with this kid. They would have seen dugan pointing at his wrist just like Fifita did, dug in and researched..... then once they found out it was just some dead kid that Dugan was friends with, decided it wasn’t worth reporting.

So yeah, the media can get f**ked even harder

Travitoh

First Grade
Another interesting angle on this that I realised when discussing the story with a mate.

Dugan has had this kid’s name on his wrist since he died, and pointed to it after every try. Yet we’ve only heard about this now.

Compare this to fifita, who had a few initials on his wrist and would point to it after he scored. Within a couple weeks it was front and back page news. we knew what they meant, who the person was, and why that was a “bad look” for the game.

This tells me that the media most certainly knew about dugan’s relationship with this kid. They would have seen dugan pointing at his wrist just like Fifita did, dug in and researched..... then once they found out it was just some dead kid that Dugan was friends with, decided it wasn’t worth reporting.

It is actually depressing when put like that.

Stand up Greenberg

More likely to fine Dugan $100k for slandering a media outlet.

Quicksilver

Bench

I don’t think Fifita ever drew attention to the initials?

MrBlack

Juniors
If he is doing it out of the kindness of his heart then he should not care what everyone else thinks or reports. If so then all respect to him.

If it's just about the publicity to change his image - then that is poor form

txta2

Bench
I'm pretty dissapointed in the club and more importantly Sharks media manager. For Dugan to fall to pieces like that in a matter of minutes meant he was not up to media commitments. Massive fail on the clubs part.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm pretty dissapointed in the club and more importantly Sharks media manager. For Dugan to fall to pieces like that in a matter of minutes meant he was not up to media commitments. Massive fail on the clubs part.

Yeh the emotional impact of the young lad passing away that he has been supporting was obviously a key issue for him, someone should have picked that up beforehand.

Eion

First Grade
Nrl demanded all 17 players were available. Club didn’t want Dugan or feef available. Nice one todd

Quicksilver

Bench

Might not have shown any signs beforehand. Sometimes people hold it together well then just breakdown.