What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telecrap: Bottom of the pile when it comes to RL news

Brutus

Referee
I only buy the Herald, but you can't escape the Tele at work or on the net when someone posts a link.

It's good for a laugh at times. Dean Ritchie's work is good for a laugh.

Brutus

Referee
skeepe said:
Jeff Wall's article on LU is just as bad, IMO.

What someone does in their personal life does not diminish what they did on the rugby league field.

Jeff Wall = GOOSE!

Yeah Wall is a tosser obviously trying to score a gig at the telecrap with garbage columns like that.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Its all well and good to say just dont buy the telegraph, but I think you have to think about the effect that the negative RL coverage has on the casual league or sports fan.

The following link shows some circulation figures from a few years back, it shows that the telegraph wins hands down every day of the week, I doubt this has changed too much.

http://www.fxj.com.au/readershipcirc/Abc1204.pdf

The NRL has to utilise the partnership board to raise this concern about negative or biased coverage of RL with News Ltd.

A couple of us not buying the tele isn't gonna fix anything!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
the NRL have previously said they don't do deals with the media like the AFL do

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...-football-chief/2005/11/08/1131407636275.html

As part of the previous deal with Rupert Murdoch's News Ltd and Kerry Packer's Nine Network, the AFL secured guarantees about editorial coverage. News undertook to provide marketing and support in its newspapers and Nine agreed that ACP, Mr Packer's magazine publisher, would generally support the AFL and run a minimum of four stories a year to promote its growth and development.

While the AFL rights deal is confidential, the undertakings by News and Nine are revealed in court documents filed in Seven Network's lawsuit over the demise of its pay TV arm, C7. The AFL's general manager, broadcasting, strategy and major projects, Ben Buckley, refused to comment. A spokesman for the National Rugby League, John Brady, said it had never done deals such as the AFL's where it tried to "legislate the outcome" of editorial coverage.

El Diablo

Post Whore
who cares if it works?

it shows how bad their product is that they actually have to stoop to these levels

its immoral

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Yeah,

So Immoral,

businesses actually paying for space in Newspapers.??

Absolutely Disgusting,

Tale a look in any newspaper in the world, whats it full of

Get in the real world, who cares whats immoral, sport is business, NRL has to start getting smarter. I know it pisses me off no end when AFL is front and back page on NRL grand final day in a Sydney paper.

dowdz

Juniors
HevyDevy said:
I agree on the Golden Boot point, not on the positioning of the league.

There is something called "the Ashes" on this week apparently?

No problem with the ashes coverage, but a small article like that for a tri nations series final is a joke. The Wallabies got a 2 page article on how bad they are.:crazy:

Cumberland Throw said:
Yeah,

So Immoral,

businesses actually paying for space in Newspapers.??

Absolutely Disgusting,

Tale a look in any newspaper in the world, whats it full of

Get in the real world, who cares whats immoral, sport is business, NRL has to start getting smarter. I know it pisses me off no end when AFL is front and back page on NRL grand final day in a Sydney paper.

Who in there right mind actually pays money for a newspaper anymore. The papers in the U.K. are full of................guess what ? If you don't like them, don't buy them.

greenhat

Juniors
the biggest papers in the UK are full of the same thing as the telecrap and the australian
- whatever the f**k murdoch tells them to write

babyg

Juniors
HevyDevy said:
Yes well I'd prefer to have it a bit higher too but it's not behind the greyhounds. From the back of the paper the left page is considered the more prominent.

To be honest though, even as a league fan I'm struggling to get that excited about the Test this week. I might watch long enough to see Mason v Kidwell early on but I've got other things to do and I'm not interested enough to put them on hold for it.

You wouldn't happen to live in Sydney would you.

Brutus

Referee
babyg said:
You wouldn't happen to live in Sydney would you.

Yes he is typical of the problem, although I suspect he's simply trying to justify the Telecrap's slack coverage of the final by saying that.

Red Bear

Referee
I would love to be excited for the league, however it just so happens the ashes are on, so that takes preference

Brutus

Referee
GoTheBears said:
I would love to be excited for the league, however it just so happens the ashes are on, so that takes preference

I'm excited about both. No need for a preference because one is played in the day and one at night. Can watch it all!

Lego_Man

First Grade
The irony is that the Daily Telegraph was hailed at the Dally M's as having a special relationship with the game...then we get headlines like "Tigers Gang Rape". I just dont see why the NRL allow themselves to be so shafted in the media.

Woods99 said:
If they had twice as much it would still be zero.

So they're a big Rugby Union paper are they?

Must really bite to be the #4 code in Australia......

Speaking of the media...

Any news on which TV station will be doing the FTA coverage of the 2007 Union World Cup champ?

:lol: