What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telegraph: 8 Saints for Roo Squad

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Ummm, I can think of at least 5 fullbacks and half-backs better than Hornby. Well, I'm pretty sure everyone can. What use would his "versatility" be?

brokendigit

Juniors
All this talk about Dean Widders...
If he's such a great player, when is B. Smith going to give him a full-time starting spot?

He did the same thing with G. Tallis when he played for the Dragons - it wasn't until he went to Brisbane that his Rep career took off.

If Widders is keen on a Rep jumper, maybe he should look at a club who would be prepared to start him...

skeepe

Immortal
brokendigit said:
All this talk about Dean Widders...
If he's such a great player, when is B. Smith going to give him a full-time starting spot?

He did the same thing with G. Tallis when he played for the Dragons - it wasn't until he went to Brisbane that his Rep career took off.

If Widders is keen on a Rep jumper, maybe he should look at a club who would be prepared to start him...

You do realise that subs play just as much if not more game time than starters these days, don't you? Or that there is a precedent in the past for a player who started on the bench all season to make the tour?

Just because they're on the bench doesn't mean they're no good.

brokendigit

Juniors
skeepe said:
You do realise that subs play just as much if not more game time than starters these days, don't you? Or that there is a precedent in the past for a player who started on the bench all season to make the tour?

Just because they're on the bench doesn't mean they're no good.

Who's saying he's no good? Was Tallis ever 'no good'?
Of course it's a 17 man game now - like never before.

However, the team isn't selected by machines. They favour picking a starting player for a bench spot in a Rep team 9 times out of 10.
And if they're already picking one player (ie: Wing) then there's little chance of another being selected.
Unless of course, you're suggesting Widders deserves to take Wing's spot?

wittyfan

Referee
If the Dragons win the Grand Final, don't be surprised if the whole squad is selected.

Hornby???? Young????? Is McCarthy serious? :lol:

Hornby was dropped after one Origin game when NSW won.

The worst part is that these nuffies will probably get in and someone like Hodgson will miss out.

drake

First Grade
Of course Bob McCarthy knows less about league than a guy whose interest in league starts and finishes with men he'd like to shag.

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
Of course Bob McCarthy knows less about league than a guy whose interest in league starts and finishes with men he'd like to shag.

LOL, I see Bob around the traps in Coogee - I'll front him & ask if you like...

The_Coach

Juniors
If the Dragons win the GF i have no problems with the 8 players mentioned being picked for the 23 man squad.

The chances of all 8 of them getting on the field at the same time is highly unlikely.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Saint 60 said:
Riddell would be a very good footy player if he could play for a full game...no risk.
but thats not about to happen...is it/

when you have a bench as good as ours, its pretty silly to leave them sitting on the bench, so you have to spell someone

are we supposed to leave PJ Marsh and Widders sitting on the bench for 80 minutes

taxidriver

Coach
it's a telegraph article FFS

nobody is saying that Creagh and Young are the best for their positions but slectors have a history of blooding hot prospects on these overseas tours.

As for Hodgson, Hornby is being considered as a utility - how is this taking Hodgsons position ???

gregstar

Referee
sullyfan said:
McCarthy's judgement is questionable. Always has been, always will be.

he said any dragon could make your team
was he wrong?

his judgement is spot on.

drake

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
LOL, I see Bob around the traps in Coogee - I'll front him & ask if you like...
:LOL:
Good idea mate, give him the Sullyfan secret to success: pick cute guys always, the Dragons players aren't good looking.

CyberKev

Staff member
sullyfan said:
Hornby was dropped after one Origin game when NSW won.

May have had something to do with him only playing the game to begin with as a late replacement for Mini who was wearing a one-match suspension :roll:

At any rate, its all knee-jerk reaction to more of the usual sensationalist guff.