What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telegraph: 8 Saints for Roo Squad

MrSharky

Juniors
gregstar said:
your team:
1. Lockyer (c) - acceptable opinion
2. Minichiello - acceptable opinion
3. Gasnier - acceptable opinion
4. Tahu - acceptable opinion
5. Grothe - acceptable opinion
6. Barrett - acceptable opinion
7. Gower - yeah right
8. L.Bailey - acceptable opinion
9. Priddis - yeah right
10. O'Meley - just acceptable as an opinion, his form is crap
11. Hindmarsh - acceptable opinion
12. Kennedy - acceptable opinion
13. Gallen - zero cred for you

14. Ross - zero cred for you
15. Nutley - zero cred for you
16. Maitua - zero cred for you
17. Wing - just acceptable as an opinion, his form is crap

basically, you could have nailed 16 of 17 if you wanted to. but as soon as you named gallen, i figured you were tickling your ankles.
sad

Gower picked ahead of Prince, Smith and other form halves only because he's played there before... Look past the team's form, and look into individual performances: Gower has played well over the closing weeks...

Priddis is the best dummy half in the game IMO... Better than overrated Buderus who only combines well with Johns... Sometimes...

O'Meley is still a class above most front rowers and is certainly better than Ryles...

Gallen has had a formidable year... a true workhorse... (consistant performer in an inconsistant side)... A bolter if you like... If you were to really oppose his selection: than I'd go with 12. Simpson and 13. Kennedy... but that selection wouldn't make the team any better...

Ross is a proven rep performer, and is a reknowned impact front rower, and is better than Webb for two reasons: his aggression doesn't get the better of him, and he isn't as erratic in form...

Nutley showed in SOO3 what he is capable of... He's had an outstanding year and is tireless in his efforts... a great role model...

Maitua is very much another bolter with the ability to wreak havoc as he is a great tackle breaker...

Wing may be in unspectacular form atm but his versatility and already proven talent doesn't disappear simply because he's had to deal with injuries, playing out of position, and Finch during the course of the year...

icon6.gif

Tommy Smith

Referee
MrSharky said:
Prove me wrong...

How often does danny perform without johns?

Answer: Very rarely

icon6.gif
LOLOLOL Quote of the year.

Did't he win a Dally M award without Johns for the whole year???

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
MrSharky said:
Gower picked ahead of Prince, Smith and other form halves only because he's played there before... Look past the team's form, and look into individual performances: Gower has played well over the closing weeks...

Hi Bob McCarthy, I didn't know you posted here :roll:.

MrSharky said:
Priddis is the best dummy half in the game IMO... Better than overrated Buderus who only combines well with Johns... Sometimes...

:lol: Buderus has to be there if Johns is, they combine brilliantly. I do think Priddis is a better individual player though.

MrSharky said:
O'Meley is still a class above most front rowers and is certainly better than Ryles...

:lol: He's been shocking all year. Ryles is a creampuff but he's a creampuff who is playing pretty good footy, he has to be there ahead of O'Meley.

MrSharky said:
Gallen has had a formidable year... a true workhorse... (consistant performer in an inconsistant side)... A bolter if you like... If you were to really oppose his selection: than I'd go with 12. Simpson and 13. Kennedy... but that selection wouldn't make the team any better...

:lol: You left out the 1000 crucial errors he makes a game, too small for international football and in no way deserves a spot ahead of Simpson (with Kennedy at lock).

MrSharky said:
Nutley showed in SOO3 what he is capable of... He's had an outstanding year and is tireless in his efforts... a great role model...

A gutsy little player but in NO way international quality, the Aus team doesn't need workhorses with Hindmarsh, Simpson/Fitzgibbon and Kennedy in the backrow, they need big impact fowards.

MrSharky said:
Maitua is very much another bolter with the ability to wreak havoc as he is a great tackle breaker...

In all 11 games he played this year? 11 games and you think an unproven rep player deserves an Australian spot, that's pretty ridiculous.

MrSharky said:
Wing may be in unspectacular form atm but his versatility and already proven talent doesn't disappear simply because he's had to deal with injuries, playing out of position, and Finch during the course of the year...

Proven talent? He hasn't been rep quality since 2003, he in no way deserves a spot but will get one anyway.

Carlito

Juniors
MrSharky said:
Prove me wrong...

How often does danny perform without johns?

Answer: Very rarely

icon6.gif

i still remember that game against brisbane last year without johns which he won just about single handedly (albeit with a gidley drop goal during extra time)

MrSharky

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
LOLOLOL Quote of the year.

Did't he win a Dally M award without Johns for the whole year???

Even I could get Karl de Kroo and the like to give me 3 points when I played... :roll:

The Dally M award is merely a shadow of its former great self...

icon6.gif

RiotAct

Juniors
reni maitua is a future aus player for sure, he's had a pretty good year all things considered, too early for now. Absolutely no way O'Meley could be picked with his form unfortunately

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow said:
What's Daley got to do with it?
dazza62 said:
he is on the dragons payroll isnt he?
I think he has some minor consultancy role. So what?
dazza62 said:
..& spends 80% of his time on fox talking them up
80%? That's a lot. Have you thought of writing a letter to Fox about this?

What has Daley got to with the article's specuation surrounding the national selection?

borat

Bench
lucablight said:
Record for winning teams? McCarthy could pick teams two or three times over and they would still win. This was pretty much proven in 2003. You're acting like he's the reason Australia win all the time. BBSF could pick the team and they would still win.

His job is to select winning teams. If he listened to a fraction of the garbage spewing from parra tosspots like yourself and misty the team would be made up of Paul Gallen and John Morris. Its a good thing he doesn't listen to you clowns.

lucablight

First Grade
borat said:
His job is to select winning teams. If he listened to a fraction of the garbage spewing from parra tosspots like yourself and misty the team would be made up of Paul Gallen and John Morris. Its a good thing he doesn't listen to you clowns.

Way to ignore what I said. No matter who he selects they will win. The fact that he's saying they will not pick in form players and will instead opt for players with reputations means that deserving footballers miss out. Can you quote me where I said Paul Gallen and John Morris should be in the side Mrs McCarthy?

aqua_duck

Coach
Stagg, Laffranchi, Waterhouse, Paul Gallen, Chad Robinson, Mark Minichiello shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Ben Creagh. Creagh is a future superstar, Robinson, Stagg, Laffranchi and Minicheillo will never be anything more than solid 1st graders.

if ryles is a better prop than skandalis i will walk naked from here to tassie.. a mob of over rated chokers who continuously get talked up by the media & their misguided fans..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think the Telecrap will focus on the Swans more now that their beloved Dragons are out of the comp for this year.

gaterooze

Bench
I'd say Barrett, Bailey and Cooper still deserve to be in the squad, and possibly Gasnier on (potential) talent alone. Young and Creagh were good, and I could deal with them being bolters, but maybe not this year. Ryles went missing, and there are other far more deserving props (yes, Skandalis).

I hope to christ some Tigers get rewarded with selection!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Baliey- YES
Ryles- Unfortuately YES
Barrett- YES backup 5/8, halfback
Hornby- I hope not, Hodgson is better
Creagh- YES
Young- Doubt it now
Gasnier- YES
Cooper- YES

That is the way I'd go. That means 6 almost certainties.

nqboy

First Grade
I didn't think Hornby or Creagh did themselves any favours tonight and Young's just a good FGer, not a member of the elite rep category.