What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten best full backs of the NRL era

Tommy Smith

Referee
So, you think think Lockyer at 1 was better than Peachey at 1?
Is that a serious question?

Lockyer was a truly great fullback. He had a mortgage on the Qld and Roos no.1 jersey before he shifted to 5/8.

He also won three Premierships and a CCM as a fullback. So I think he did kinda ok in that position.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Snake at his peak was better than Slater...
If you can find me a non Manly fan that believes this then I'll be impressed.

Brett Stewart was a fantastic fullback. But Billy is the greatest fullback I've seen and in the top 4 or 5 players I've seen, too.

His peak leaves Stewart in his wake.

King hit

Coach

Brett Stewart was a fantastic fullback. But Billy is the greatest fullback I've seen and in the top 4 or 5 players I've seen, too.

Firechild also claimed that Menzies was better then SBW. I loved the beaver but Sonny Bill was so much better. One of the best athletes to ever play Rugby League.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Firechild also claimed that Menzies was better then SBW. I loved the beaver but Sonny Bill was so much better. One of the best athletes to ever play Rugby League.
An incredible athlete but an even better natural, instinctive footy player.

I've always viewed him as a footy player first who just so happens to be a freak athlete.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Peachey scored the winning try in SOO 1. He then had a hamstri g injury that kept him out of games 2 and 3.
Again, don't let the truth get in the way of your made up BS.

From memory Peachey was really good in his 1 Origin game, I do remember injury ruled him out of the next one. He should have been there in 1999. Robbie Ross was a fine player but Peach was tearing it up that year.

King hit

Coach
From memory Peachey was really good in his 1 Origin game, I do remember injury ruled him out of the next one. He should have been there in 1999. Robbie Ross was a fine player but Peach was tearing it up that year.

Ross played very well in 1999 despite 1 error at the end of the drawn decider. He scored a try within 1 minute in the second game and was always in the right place at the right time. I don't think anyone would've criticised him after the series.

Something that doesn't get mentioned about Peachey's 1 game is 1 minute before the infamous 'your a f**king cheat try' Peachey came up with an awesome try saver on a rampaging Tonie Carroll that still kept the Blues alive. Carroll scores and the Maroons wrap up that game.

firechild

First Grade
No, I disputed that SBW was "a million miles better" than any other.

Canard

Immortal
Ridge was one of my favourite players during the early-mid 90s, His peak was probably 94-96, so pre-NRL. Defensively he was brilliant and he was a significant reason for the near impenetrable defense Manly had in '95-'96. I don't think you'd find many Manly fans that would have him in front of Snake or Wombat.

Snake at his peak was better than Slater but his body let him down and his peak was much shorter than Lockyer or Slater. I also think the perception of Lockyer as a fullback is skewed by how good he was after moving to 5/8. He was a brilliant fullback no doubt but there are several who were better. He'd be top 10 but not top 2.

Hahaha. I can't stop laughing at this post.

It's great comedy

Artiste

Juniors

Brett Stewart was the best but I'm just a Manly fan

typicalfan

Coach
SBW only played a handful of seasons his longevity was never tested while Menzies showed his class for season after season. SBW had a few good years.

Latest posts