What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten best full backs of the NRL era

King hit

Coach
It’s pretty incredible how stacked we were with quality fullbacks over the last decade. Peachey, Schifoske, Ross, Hodgson were very good players but only had limited chances at rep level. Even the awesome Matt Bowen could only play 1 test and only started in 2 Origin matches.

Someone that doesn’t seem to get enough credit as a player these days is Luke Patten. Excellent player who in my opinion is one of the best players never to play for NSW and Australia.

glockers

Juniors
Brasher is arguably the best of the lot. He had the all round defensive game and a great support player.

Just consider his later career when Ross got picked in Origin in 1999 and had a stinker in a drawn series. They don't want to go crawling back to Brasher so they pick Peachey Game 1 in 2000. Peachey also is bog average and out of his depth so is dropped and never plays Origin again. They bring Brasher as an old man into Game 2 and he is man of the match. He also has a blinder in Game 3.

Also I agree Mullins' best work was pre NRL, but he was a winger for NSW as Brasher got the fullback spot nearly every game.

Considering Belcher was only great the first couple years of the 90s and Lockyer only came along in 97 98, Brasher is unarguably the best fullback of the 1990s. His late 90s and early 2000s work means he should be considered the best of the NRL era, but accept arguments for Slater or Lockyer as other options.

If Brasher isn't in your top 10 give yourself an uppercut.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Brasher is arguably the best of the lot. He had the all round defensive game and a great support player.

Just consider his later career when Ross got picked in Origin in 1999 and had a stinker in a drawn series. They don't want to go crawling back to Brasher so they pick Peachey Game 1 in 2000. Peachey also is bog average and out of his depth so is dropped and never plays Origin again. They bring Brasher as an old man into Game 2 and he is man of the match. He also has a blinder in Game 3.

Also I agree Mullins' best work was pre NRL, but he was a winger for NSW as Brasher got the fullback spot nearly every game.

Considering Belcher was only great the first couple years of the 90s and Lockyer only came along in 97 98, Brasher is unarguably the best fullback of the 1990s. His late 90s and early 2000s work means he should be considered the best of the NRL era, but accept arguments for Slater or Lockyer as other options.

One of the biggest issues for Brasher was that he played for average teams in a time when only 2/3 games were televised a week. Then in the later half of his career pay tv was still in it’s early stages and hardly anyone had it. So most footy fans would only see him come Origin/Test time.

glockers

Juniors
I agree Vic. Originally my statement was if he isn't in your top 3or 4 give yourself an uppercut, but I considered how little people would have seen him. But Origin performances in 98 and 2000 alone should get him in any top 10.

Matua

Bench
My 10c - it's Slater and Lockyer then daylight to the next contenders.

On the subject of 90s players I can't believe Ridge hasn't been mentioned, not an out and out runner as most of the other fullbacks named are but he was easily one of the best of the 90s.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Are Tigers fans seriously suggesting that Tim Brasher was equal to or even better than Billy Slater or Darren Lockyer?

Only Penrith fans have a more inflated opinion of their own players.

King hit

Coach

Ross and Peachey weren’t bog average so don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Ross and Peachey weren’t bog average so don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story
Peachey scored the winning try in SOO 1. He then had a hamstri g injury that kept him out of games 2 and 3.
Again, don't let the truth get in the way of your made up BS.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Are Tigers fans seriously suggesting that Tim Brasher was equal to or even better than Billy Slater or Darren Lockyer?

Only Penrith fans have a more inflated opinion of their own players.

Personally I’m not. However I think it’s reasonable to say NSW’s most capped fullback is also their best, which could have him as high as third.

There are Roosters fans saying Billy Slater, who is widely regarded as the best fullback of all time, would never have played for Australia if Minichello didn’t break a nail or something

The NRL started in 1998.

I don't see how anyone with a functional brain could claim that Brasher is one of the top full backs of the current (NRL) era considering his career was winding down by then.

He was HORRIBLE when he switched codes after his initial retirement. I saw him play live and he just didn't have it anymore.

That being said, he's still one of the best full backs of all time.

Just not the NRL era, as is the point of this discussion.

Valheru

Coach
Personally I’m not. However I think it’s reasonable to say NSW’s most capped fullback is also their best, which could have him as high as third.

There are Roosters fans saying Billy Slater, who is widely regarded as the best fullback of all time, would never have played for Australia if Minichello didn’t break a nail or something

I can't include brasher simply because he did the vast majority of his work prior to 98 and this discussion is specific to the NRL era otherwise he would be in the discussion.

On mini, i don't think anyone believes he would have permanently kept slater out of the national side but he certainly delays it IMO

MilkShark

First Grade

On the subject of 90s players I can't believe Ridge hasn't been mentioned, not an out and out runner as most of the other fullbacks named are but he was easily one of the best of the 90s.
Lockyer?

You don’t move someone you think is in the 10 fullbacks ever in the nrl to the halves.

firechild

First Grade

Ridge was one of my favourite players during the early-mid 90s, His peak was probably 94-96, so pre-NRL. Defensively he was brilliant and he was a significant reason for the near impenetrable defense Manly had in '95-'96. I don't think you'd find many Manly fans that would have him in front of Snake or Wombat.

Snake at his peak was better than Slater but his body let him down and his peak was much shorter than Lockyer or Slater. I also think the perception of Lockyer as a fullback is skewed by how good he was after moving to 5/8. He was a brilliant fullback no doubt but there are several who were better. He'd be top 10 but not top 2.

Matua

Bench
Lockyer?

You don’t move someone you think is in the 10 fullbacks ever in the nrl to the halves.
You do if they can provide value in the halves. Lockyer had 7 years as the fullback for Oz/Qld and was acknowledged as the best in the game for almost the entirety of that time.

MilkShark

First Grade
You do if they can provide value in the halves. Lockyer had 7 years as the fullback for Oz/Qld and was acknowledged as the best in the game for almost the entirety of that time.
So, you think think Lockyer at 1 was better than Peachey at 1?

Latest posts