What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you Benji

Personally #8 is my favorite!

Anyway, There must be something going on behind the scenes we are not privy too. As incompetent as McGregor is, there is no way he could get rid of Marshall but keep Widdop as things stand as we know them. Not saying he wasn't justified in getting rid of Marshall and Rein for that matter as well. But not get rid of Widdop??? That makes no sense at all. As I said previously, jumping out of the way of opposition ball runners is actually the least of his problems.
Its simple Marshall and Rein off contract Widdop isn't.

If they release widdop then they more than likely will have to pay a big chunk of his current contract for anyone to take him.

That means they have salary cap spent on a player not at the club and then try and bring in some one else and fit him under said salary cap.

They have done this way to often and its killing the club. Yes he has been poor but its not as easy as you make it out to be just to off load a player especially if he may not want to leave.

Sigurd

Juniors
Its simple Marshall and Rein off contract Widdop isn't.

If they release widdop then they more than likely will have to pay a big chunk of his current contract for anyone to take him.

That means they have salary cap spent on a player not at the club and then try and bring in some one else and fit him under said salary cap.

They have done this way to often and its killing the club. Yes he has been poor but its not as easy as you make it out to be just to off load a player especially if he may not want to leave.
As a matter of fact, it's even simpler than that. There is no way any other club will buy out a significant % of Widdops contract but the team can't afford not to get rid of him.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Stuff benji he isn't a saints legend why should he get a send off?? Creagh and Nightingale are the only current saints players who deserve a send off!! If benji isn't good enough to make the team tough luck play reserve grade or get on your bike!!

monsterkev

Juniors
I'm very surprised there hasn't been wider condemnation of the way Benji has been treated by the club, from fans and the media alike. Our last coach was chinless and our present one spineless. Mary McFagit trying to present Benji as a scapegoat for his own stunning ineptitude is the lowest point in the club's recent history of lows and unforgiveable. I've stopped going to games and won't be renewing my membership until McFagit, Hornby and the Young family are flushed from the club and we can get on and find some people who know how to coach and build a successful team.

I personally feel saddened for Benji and embarrassed that the club I support could treat him like this. He's a legend and he's been such a great role model for the kids, what a shame to go out this way. It's a f*cking disgrace.
yes i forgot about the young family craig has managed to stuff every job he has ever done with the dragons
dont forget he was coach and we were shit and he was the recruitment officer and could not get anyone to sign for us i cant even remember what other jobs hes had just let him keep hanging around and now dean is the same
get rid of them now

monsterkev

Juniors
Stuff benji he isn't a saints legend why should he get a send off?? Creagh and Nightingale are the only current saints players who deserve a send off!! If benji isn't good enough to make the team tough luck play reserve grade or get on your bike!!
its not about being a long term player for the dragons and being a club legend
its about the unfair treatment he has received when many other players and staff should be held accountable
at least benji tried unlike his other halves partner

monsterkev

Juniors
No one is saying that Benji is not a great role model nor that he has not BEEN a great player.
In simple terms he could have had a contract and he didn't accept the offer and rolled the dice and to date has lost.
So he placed himself in this dilemma and to further compound it his form has been poor.
Now before all the idiots get on here talking about Widdop, Rein etc etc their selection or non selection is an entirely different matter and gets debated in other threads.
This is simply about Benji and his form warranting selection for sections sake because he is "possibly" retiring but he himself has not actually said that is the case.
If I am not mistaken do the NRL give retiring players a send off on GF day?
i dont think benji would have signed anyway in the last couple of months with the shit he has copped
again mcgregors doing i hope he tells all when he leaves

monsterkev

Juniors
Benji has been a great servant to the game.

Whilst he and every dragons supporter would have liked to see him excel in the red V, he got us to the first final series in ages last year in spite of not being picked in his best position and I thank him for that.

FTR, I'm glad he came out and said what he did last night about his best position being 5/8 and I am stumped why we never experimented and swapped our halves around at all.
exactly could have at least tried this idea by half way through the season

getsmarty

Immortal
Marshall: I'm Not Too Old
Wed 31st August, 03:00PM
A A

By Jack Brady (NRL.com)

Veteran Dragons playmaker Benji Marshall has laughed off suggestions his body isn't up to the rigors of NRL football.

The former New Zealand international has battled an ongoing hamstring complaint this season that has restricted him to 15 games.

Marshall said with a big pre-season under his belt he would work past his hamstring woes and that he had overcome "way worse" throughout his career.

Marshall remains uncontracted for the 2017 season and won't remain at St George Illawarra.

The Dragons' clash with the Knights this weekend will also be the last time Mitch Rein, Ben Creagh and Mike Cooper don the Red V jumper.

"I'm 31. I'm not 35. There are still blokes running around at 35 so all this talk about me being too old is [crap]," Marshall said.

"Anyone who knows me, knows what's affected me this year has been the hamstring. But I know I can come back from it.

"I feel great. I feel like I'm just starting to find the confidence in sprinting again so physically I feel sweet," he added.

"I still have a burning desire within to play. I'd love to play on and I'm still working on that. If that doesn't happen then I want to make sure I enjoy this weekend.

"I want to leave on a good note, although it's been a tough year, and enjoy the last week with the boys."

While the idea of retirement has been floated around, Marshall said he hasn't truly considered hanging the boots up after 254 NRL games and 25 Tests for the Kiwis.

"It could be an option because I'm realistic about what's to come but at the same time I still want to play," Marshall said.

"If that doesn't happen then I've been fortunate enough to do a few jobs along the way that will put me in good stead in life after football. Opportunities other blokes don't have so I'm blessed in that sense."

Marshall refused to label this weekend's game a final stand for a contract.

"It's a big game for me on an emotional level because it's the last time I'm going to play with a lot of these guys," he said.

"I've spent two-and-a-half years here and it's been some of the best fun that I've had. Coming back to rugby league, I couldn't have picked a better bunch of dudes."

Marshall could see one silver lining in his departure from the Dragons.

"This is the last week I'm going to have to drive to Wollongong from Sydney so I'll save some money on petrol," he said.

"I might need it."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/31/marshall_i_m_not_too.html

Gareth67

First Grade
Benji , unfortunately you are no longer worth that amount at the Dragons , somewhere else perhaps you may be , but not at the Dragons .
Take your final bow this weekend with the dignity that the Big Red V Jersey deserves , as not all players have that opportunity , as has been the case with Manly's Jamie Lyon and the Rabbits Luke Keary .

I'm sure that most fans of this Club and Rugby League in general , wish you the best for your future .

Last edited: