What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "3P Get Together" Thread

What dates suits?

• Friday 23rd January 7pm

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Saturday 31st January 12pm

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Sunday 18th January 12pm

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Whatever day Ron can't make it.

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters

Suitman

Post Whore
I'd say the margins they make on the meals in cafe 88 or whatever it's called are pretty slim. I can see how those vouchers may cost the club money.

The club would also know how many vouchers were getting redeemed. Been a couple of years since I redeemed mine anyway.

True, but we really dont know why they cut it, what justification they had. We havent seen the numbers. I know myself on those occasions I have used the voucher, in, got the meal and solitary drink and then home. Sometimes did it on my way home from work - so no real extra money from me. But thats just me.

Cheers, Mits Eel.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Fair point, and there probably are more people that have done the same. On the flip side, their are groups of friends like ours, who go out and celebrate B'days or just get together for meals every other week. So for one persons B'day and free meal voucher, there are 10 other people paying for their meals. And they are cheap meals anymore. TBH, they dont have to be free vouchers. Even a $10 off voucher would be better than nothing.

I have noticed that there are about 5 or 6 dishes on in Cafe 88 that have now been reduced to $9.95. Obviously the meals that weren't big sellers. The biggest mistake with updating their menu recently.. They didnt consult anyone! If they were planning to do it, they could have been handing out surveys with meals. Not everyone would have filled them out, but some feedback would have been better than them obviously losing money now.

Just playing devils advocate.....9.95 meals? I struggle to see how they make money on that with overheads etc. So someone uses a voucher, their friends get ten buck meals - where's the money? You're hoping they either buy heaps of drinks or go and play the pokies.

fish eel

Immortal
Cheers, Mits Eel.

Suity

:lol: :lol:

Someone's got to do it. ;-)

Actually, I've just had a moment of clarity.

I'm happy they've gotten rid of the vouchers.

Lessons the chance of me getting sick one night after a free dinner.....

Suitman

Post Whore
Just playing devils advocate.....9.95 meals? I struggle to see how they make money on that with overheads etc. So someone uses a voucher, their friends get ten buck meals - where's the money? You're hoping they either buy heaps of drinks or go and play the pokies.

Yep, that's it, Mits Eel.

Suity

Nikki

Coach

Its still money that you werent getting in the first place.

Im assuming (I dont know the reason why the prices were dropped) that they have bought x amount of stock for these meals (from memory one of them is Bangers and Mash). Now no other meal on that menu uses sausages or mashed potato. The $17 price they were originally asking was a bit steep, and from all reports the actual meal was shyte. All of a sudden you have no one buying that meal, a fridge full of stock and no other dishes on the menu require those ingredients. I think my whole point on this issue is if they had of done their research first they could have saved themselves money.

fish eel

Immortal
Its still money that you werent getting in the first place.

Im assuming (I dont know the reason why the prices were dropped) that they have bought x amount of stock for these meals (from memory one of them is Bangers and Mash). Now no other meal on that menu uses sausages or mashed potato. The $17 price they were originally asking was a bit steep, and from all reports the actual meal was shyte. All of a sudden you have no one buying that meal, a fridge full of stock and no other dishes on the menu require those ingredients. I think my whole point on this issue is if they had of done their research first they could have saved themselves money.

eewwww.

how old is the food then? :lol:

eelz47

Coach
I was actually quite shocked on Friday night when they were celebrating Chinese New Years that they gave out envelope with chocolate coins in them. The envelopes were quite pretty and the chocolate was probably cheap, but at least they were giving something.

and how about the $20 i got in mine

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Well I am a perpetual member and have recieved them for a few years and then all of a sudden without notice they were gone. And when I rang the club to enquire about them, they stated that they didn't do them anymore and hung up on me. Not a good way to bring in the members.

bartman

Immortal
Not as good a way as more of these, apparently...

pokies_300408_wideweb__470x297,0.jpg

bartman

Immortal
Members don't pay the tax... so more machines bring more members in than meal vouchers, in theory.

But it's clear that the machines don't bring in as much money as the club budgeted on - and apparent still budgeted on in the misguided belief that they could fight the tax and win :lol:.

I think Mickdo summed it up nicely, no idea is going to be the "silver bullet" that perfectly gets us out of the hole we're in as a result of the pokies experiement.

But hopefully those who have been so quick to question any other ideas to bring members back and involved in the club (such as changing the 3rd floor or the structure of where the NRL team sits in the club) either begin to see them as worthwhile pursuits anyway, or get themselves along to this last January meeting on Saturday lunch and hear what is being said and put their own ideas forward.