What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ABC at it again

_snafu_

Immortal
I'm just pointing out that people saying crowds have increased is wrong if you compare the data year to year. On the issue of night games and children, it's something the NRL needs to look at.

:lol::lol::lol:

Total crowd attendances:

2006 - 3115521

2007 - 3332024

2008 - 3280588

2009 - 3435929

2010 - 3490778

Looking at the above data, it seems to me to suggest that crowds have increased.

shane87

Juniors
Actually, in fairness a woman would get away with it because the second you criticise their writings the "Sexist" card gets played.

& yet, when they grow up and are able to make their own choices, they choose RL.

Silly women country wide may force their precious little darlings into soccer at 8yo but try telling a 15yo he can't play RL with his mates because mummy thinks it's "too rough" or doesn't like the culture.

By the time the boy hits 15, whatever mum has told him from aged 0 upwards is pretty ingrained.
My brother and I still have trouble arguing or going against mum, my sister has no bother at all. :lol:

Lucky she's a league lovin woman from a league lovin family...but I sure don't like to cross her in other stuff.

She's the kinda mum that patched up your cuts and bruises, fed you chicken soup, then slapped you stupid for fighting. :?

El Diablo

Post Whore
you must be weak minded if your mother influenced what sport you followed

if everyone was like that then Garry Jack's son wouldn't be playing fumbleball

chefman21

Juniors

Total crowd attendances:

2006 - 3115521

2007 - 3332024

2008 - 3280588

2009 - 3435929

2010 - 3490778

Looking at the above data, it seems to me to suggest that crowds have increased.

Not according to the census. And the physical number doesn't count. It's the percentage that matters. Go read a book on statistics.

shane87

Juniors
you must be weak minded if your mother influenced what sport you followed

if everyone was like that then Garry Jack's son wouldn't be playing fumbleball

Nup, not at all, the question never arose as to what sport I played, it was always league and she was ok and happy with that.

But to think that what your mother says at age 15 and below, is not relevant is a pretty big call regarding a lot of issues.

To try and do pretty much anything that age without parental support can get pretty tough. Especially when it comes to the money and transport. Not saying it would be impossible I guess, but it would be pretty hard.

chefman21

Juniors
Careful, he'll send off a strongly worded letter to the NRL...

Do you have half a brain at all? When someone engages you in an intelligent debate, you just abuse people when things get a bit tough. When someone brings up various theoretical concepts you chuck a tanty. Let me guess. You didn't finish school? Why don't you go to a library and do some reading. The kids section is over on the left hand side...

Do you have half a brain at all? When someone engages you in an intelligent debate, you just abuse people when things get a bit tough. When someone brings up various theoretical concepts you chuck a tanty. Let me guess. You didn't finish school? Why don't you go to a library and do some reading. The kids section is over on the left hand side...

You're confused and you're as easy to get into a slanging match with as anyone else here. So much for your intellectual high-ground.

You seem to think you are able to involve yourself in "intelligent debate" yet the moment anyone disagrees with you, you waffle on like a homeless guy rambling on about how the universe is out to get him.

And you seem to think you're some sort of role model for anyone who wants the NRL to succeed. Do the words "get off your arse like I do" ring a bell?

The bad news is, you're a whinger with delusions of grandeur and nothing more. The moment it clicks with you that you, like the rest of us, are nothing but a pissant on a messageboard, is the moment you start the process to becoming sane.

Go write another oft-ignored letter. It's all you're good for.

russ13

First Grade

Total crowd attendances:

2006 - 3115521

2007 - 3332024

2008 - 3280588

2009 - 3435929

2010 - 3490778

Chiefman (I am using SNAFU's numbers) if the population of Australia was 21 million in 2010 & NRL crowds were 3,490,778 the population in 2006 must have been 18,742,510. If 22 million the corresponding figure would be 19,635,010.

Whatever figure is used there were more Australians in 2006 than the figures I calculated.

Therefore for that time period the NRL crowd growth aggregate has beaten national growth rate.

Springs

First Grade
Nup, not at all, the question never arose as to what sport I played, it was always league and she was ok and happy with that.

But to think that what your mother says at age 15 and below, is not relevant is a pretty big call regarding a lot of issues.

To try and do pretty much anything that age without parental support can get pretty tough. Especially when it comes to the money and transport. Not saying it would be impossible I guess, but it would be pretty hard.

Well if your father has watched and played League since he was young and continues to do so throughout your childhood, you're either going to like League or hate it. Even if mother says you can't play it it's not going to turn you off the sport for good.

Shut up mate. What's wrong with not finishing school? I hate fools like you who think they are superior because they went to university, therefore they're obviously smarter than everyone else right? No need to insult people's intelligence, you're not better than them, no matter how many doctorates you get.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not according to the census. And the physical number doesn't count. It's the percentage that matters. Go read a book on statistics.
:lol: You're fair dinkum trolling.

Having 300,000 more people attending matches four years after the first given figure isn't an increase? :lol: :lol:

Springs

First Grade

Having 300,000 more people attending matches four years after the first given figure isn't an increase? :lol: :lol:

Timmah, he's smarter than you mate. He went to university and writes letters.

_snafu_

Immortal

Can you please point out a statistics book which will tell me that 3115521 is greater than 3490778? I can't seem to find one.

chefman21

Juniors
Shut up mate. What's wrong with not finishing school? I hate fools like you who think they are superior because they went to university, therefore they're obviously smarter than everyone else right? No need to insult people's intelligence, you're not better than them, no matter how many doctorates you get.

I hate fools who still think they are right, despite the person they are arguing with is better qualified and has provided proven theoretical concepts with statistical data to back it up. I hate fools who have a sook when they can't keep up with intellectual gymnastics. People who go to university are superior in at least one area by the fact they are better educated nine times out of ten. What the hell do you want me to say? That he is right? He wants to question my character then he is going to cop it back!

Having 300,000 more people attending matches four years after the first given figure isn't an increase? :lol:

Can you please point out a statistics book which will tell me that 3115521 is greater than 3490778? I can't seem to find one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do I need to spell it out for you?
  • It's not the physical number that matters. It's the percentage. The percentage is the statistically significant piece of data. Not the physical number.
  • If you want to compare crowd figures then you need to compare against population growth. Not against year to year crowd figures. You can't compare a variable against itself. You need to run a t-test and compare the variable against another variable. Either as a paired sample or a single sample.
  • If the population increases, then the percentage attending needs to increase in line with population growth. Even if the physical number increases, if the percentage doesn't increase against population growth then crowd numbers have dropped off. In other words if there are more people in the state, then by nature crowds should increase in line with that increase.

It's like saying someone scored this many tries in a 26 round competition, and then saying they scored more tries in a 30 round competition and then scored more tries again in a 34 round competition. Sure, the number of tries scored might be higher, but is that a percentage increase or just a number increase due to longer seasons? It's the percentage that matters.

Springs

First Grade
I hate fools who still think they are right, despite the person they are arguing with is better qualified and has provided proven theoretical concepts with statistical data to back it up. I hate fools who have a sook when they can't keep up with intellectual gymnastics. People who go to university are superior in at least one area by the fact they are better educated nine times out of ten. What the hell do you want me to say? That he is right? He wants to question my character then he is going to cop it back!

Do I need to spell it out for you?
  • It's not the physical number that matters. It's the percentage. The percentage is the statistically significant piece of data. Not the physical number.
  • If you want to compare crowd figures then you need to compare against population growth. Not against year to year crowd figures. You can't compare a variable against itself. You need to run a t-test and compare the variable against another variable. Either as a paired sample or a single sample.
  • If the population increases, then the percentage attending needs to increase in line with population growth. Even if the physical number increases, if the percentage doesn't increase against population growth then crowd numbers have dropped off. In other words if there are more people in the state, then by nature crowds should increase in line with that increase.
It's like saying someone scored this many tries in a 26 round competition, and then saying they scored more tries in a 30 round competition and then scored more tries again in a 34 round competition. Sure, the number of tries scored might be higher, but is that a percentage increase or just a number increase due to longer seasons? It's the percentage that matters.

My god.
Thanks for proving my point.
Definition of a college know-it-all.

Latest posts