What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

Balmain_Boy

Spot on with that one Paul, I agree entirely. Home ground advantage should carry through to week two.

However, the NRL isn't just going to give up two games of revenue.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Good to see all the old codgers weighing in with their anachronistic ideas.

Premiership to the minor premiers...oh please, we arent in the 50s any more.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
giving the premiership to the premiers is a fair call imo, they are the best team all year and rightfully deserve it

the NRL make a fortune out of the top 8, having more finals then they used to when it was the top 4 and 3 weeks of finals, and only one game on the second and third weeks

with the top 8, the fans and and the NRL get alot more footy, but I cant help thinking it more about extra revenue for the NRL

melon....

Coach
Lego_Man said:
Good to see all the old codgers weighing in with their anachronistic ideas.

Premiership to the minor premiers...oh please, we arent in the 50s any more.
Oh please?..Like Oh my God...Like you know Like.

Listen up whipper snapper, We already have a salary cap that promotes mediocrity and saves loser clubs like Souths at the expense of others.

The players life expectancy in the game has come down from 11.67 years to 9.86 years in the past decade....and now we have Tri nations to put up with every year to try and prove league is international when we all know its a game that is only suited to the East coast of Oz and NZ.

No I know junior, lets play 14 games at the end of 26 weeks to see if the most mediocre team can win it from 8th spot.

Great!! T-werp.

gregstar

Referee
return to the top five.

too many finals takes away from their prestige. gradually the finals have been cheapened by allowing teams of poor quality to share the stage with the seasons' gun sides. stop rewarding mediocrity.

make finals fewer & harder to attain, & they'll be special again.

thomo

Juniors
Ok, I'll try one. Home ground/city/region advantage applies in weeks 1 to 3 of finals. Assume the bold team wins.

Week 1
3 v 8 (Broncos v Eels)
4 v 7 (Knights v Raiders)
5 v 6 (Sea Eagles v Dragons)
1 & 2 BYE (Storm and Bulldogs)

Week 2
Rankings: (1)Storm, (2)Bulldogs, (3)Broncos, (4)Knights, (5)Sea Eagles, (6)Dragons

1 v 3rd Highest Winner W1 (Storm v Sea Eagles)
2 v 2nd Highest Winner W1 (Bulldogs v Knights)
Highest Winner W1 v Highest Loser W1 (Broncos v Dragons)

Week 3
Highest Winner W2 v Highest Loser W2 (Storm v Knights)
2nd Highest Winner W2 v 3rd Highest Winner W2 (Bulldogs v Broncos)

Week 4
Grand Final (Storm v Bulldogs)

Okay, now I'll chuck in some upsets to see what happens:

Week 1
3 v 8 (Broncos v Eels)
4 v 7 (Knights v Raiders)
5 v 6 (Sea Eagles v Dragons)
1 & 2 BYE (Storm and Bulldogs)

Week 2
Rankings: (1)Storm, (2)Bulldogs, (3)Knights, (4)Dragons, (5)Eels, (6)Broncos

1 v 3rd Highest Winner W1 (Storm v Eels)
2 v 2nd Highest Winner W1 (Bulldogs v Dragons)
Highest Winner W1 v Highest Loser W1 (Knights v Broncos)

Week 3
Highest Winner W2 v Highest Loser W2 (Storm v Bulldogs)
2nd Highest Winner W2 v 3rd Highest Winner W2 (Dragons v Broncos)

Week 4
Grand Final (Storm v Broncos)

PROS
- Teams 1 and 2 get a bye in week 1 of the finals rather than week 2 giving them a better run into the grand final qualifier
- Team 1 gets a second chance if they lose in week 2 (therefore the minor premiers are guaranteed to make the 3rd week of the finals)
- Team 2 gets a second chance if they lose in week 2 as long as team 1 doesn't get beaten
- There are three games for the first two weeks of the finals allowing a Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday games for those two weeks

CONS
- Team 2 can get knocked out in week 2 if they lose and Team 1 loses
- I am sure there are others - I put this together in about 10 minutes so haven't gone through all the scenarios

Redback71

First Grade
I just dont think teams would take the minor comp very serious, they would be a buch of juniors i guess, which cant be bad though. it could work i think, but a few moer ajusments.

not so the afl have a pre-season comp and the uk super league have a mid-season comp and they all take it seriously and does not diminsh from the glory and achievent of wining the big one so why cant something similar work in the nrl.

and as for my idea of the 10 team round robin, well it would give teams like the sharks who will never win a grand final something to asspire to.:)

Jono Russell

Bench
I like the AFL system,

Game 1 - 1 v 4
Game 2 - 2 v 3 (winners get week of)

Game 3 - 5 v 8
Game 4 - 6 v 7 (looses eliminated)

Game 5 - Looser 1 vs Winner 3
Game 6 - Looser 2 vs Winner 4

Game 7 - Winner 1 v Winner 6
Game 8 - Winner 2 v Winner 5

Game 9 - Winner 7 v Winner 8 (GF)

Knight87

Juniors
For those who were following back then: As we know, the AFL finals system is nearly identical to that used in the 1995 and 1996 ARL Seasons. NRL adapted the McIntyre 8 in 1999. What i was wandering is who would have won (weeks 1 through to Grand Final) if the 1995 and 1996 series were under the McIntyre 8 (considering the teams performances and momentum at the time):

1995: Week 1: Cronulla (4) vs Newcastle (5) at Toyota Park
Brisbane (3) vs Bulldogs (6) at ANZ Stadium (Broncos ground at the time)
Canberra (2) vs St George (7) at Canberra Stadium
Manly (1) vs North Sydney (8) at Brookvale Oval

1996 Week 1:Sydney Roosters (4) vs Cronulla (5) at Aussie Stadium
North Sydney (3) vs Canberra (6) at North Sydney Oval
Brisbane (2) vs St George (7) at ANZ Stadium
Manly (1) vs Western Suburbs (8) at Brookvale Oval

To derive possible WEeks 2+3+4, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_Final_Eight_System

What are your tips? Also on another point, I know the Bulldogs had an amazing run in the '95 finals, but would they have won in '95 under the McIntyre system

Titanic

First Grade
Macarthur said "I shall return"; Churchill said: "we shall fight them on the beaches"; and, the mayor of Nagasaki said: "what the f**k is that!?".

The Engineers Room

First Grade
A piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to either side

A woodchuck would chuck half as much wood as two woodchucks would.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The old ARL system was 10 times better.

They use this system so that 1 V 2 play each other in the GF, rather than the semi's.

But since they brought it in 1999, its only happened 3 times.

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Top 5 was the best system in my Opinion.

They will never go back to it though because of all the money and sponsors and all that crap. It just annoys me under the current system that a team that a team that loses more then they Win can get into the finals and really besides that first week what reward do the Minor premiers get?