What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ayshford appreciation thread.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Wingers &centres are huge these days.

We discarded our biggest, most imposing 3/4 because fans wanted it.

Barrels were faced in the wrong direction....at least he gave a shit about the club.... Like us!

Little wonder Gal chose him as his best mate.

Really? That's the reason? Should be easy to get rid of the rest of the bums then

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ayshford has failed to shake an issue that was forced upon him at the Tigers. He used to have Moltzen defending on his inside. Moltzen's defence is as bad as Carney's.

So Ayshford would stay back and essentially wait to see if his assistance was required for a tackle one in from where he defends. It isolated the winger every time.

Now he has Carney there.

As Frenzy said, the key to improving Ayshford's defence is Beau Ryan. Beau would constantly drag Ayshford into position and stop him from drifting in-field.

Ayshford is an abysmal on-field communicator. He needs a talkative winger, and a winger who will tell him what to do. Beau has done this very well for a few years and helped hide Ayshford's abysmal decision making in defence.

Ever since Sheens made Ayshford bulk up a few years ago, his form has gone to shit.

He's shed a few kilos this year which is good for his attack (which has been fairly good) but his tackling technique can only be described as lazy and poorly executed.

Any centre with a decent first step will get around Ayshford every time in his current state. Before he was bulked up, he would come up in a nice line with the defence and shut down his opposite centre before they could draw 2 defenders.

I'd be tempted to put him in NSW cup and make him play one week at Lock and make him do some defence.

Then give him a week or two at centre/wing to make him learn about a proper defence structure again.

He's a bloke that needs to be told. If no one's telling him anything, he'll just guess.

And often guess wrong. But he'll persist with wrong until someone tells him otherwise.

A good coach should have pulled him aside a few weeks ago and dealt with this issue then.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
My old man's a massive sharks fan he's had season tickets/Membership for the last 16 years. Last season when you guys were playing well i was having a chat with him about how well the sharks were going & how bad the Tigers were playing. Being a Tigers fan he was rubbing my nose in it (in a playful way) saying thanks for the players etc etc. I was glad the sharks were going well as I know how much pleasure he gets from them winning, Im the same with the tigers.

I wasnt bitter about you guys winning with so many ex tigers players in your team as I knew most of the of the guys we let go were neccesary in order to break up the boys club that was left to fester under the Leadership of Sheens. The club led by Benji was more interested in having a good time than winning. After a couple of lean years we are starting to see rewards of making some tough/unpopular decisions. We probably wont make the 8 this year but the club is positioned well for the future & this would not have been possible without offloading the players we did. Unfortunately watching the sharks reminds me of watching the last 2 seasons of the tigers.

Over the last 2 seasons there is probably only 1 or 2 players that any of us tigers fans who have a slight knowledge about the game were disapointed about losing. When i say us Im talking about the general feeling on the tigers forum from us supporters.

Gibbs: most were dissapointed in losing him, sure he isnt going to bust a bunch a tackles or put away backs with an offload but his defence was second to none. We all thought he was greatly underrated. That being said he was starting to spend more time out injured & with some young props coming through tough decisions needed to be made.

Fifita: I think most knew he was going to be special & we were dissapointed in losing him. His attitude was poor under sheens & he definatley needed a change. Unfortunately he left before sheens did. There wouldn't be a tigers fan alive that wouldnt love him, Woods & Galloway in our team.

Heighno: glad we got rid of him, i was sick of seeing the heighno shuffle just before the line & his change of direction straight back into the markers. Absolutely useless in attack & rarely dominates a tackle in defence.

Ryan: some were dissapointed as he had a great year the previous season & his media profile brough great exposure to the club. Most were glad to see him go though as there were more talented juniours in Nofo & Simona ready to take over.

Ayshford: we all rejoiced, he's a slow & cant tackle as you gus are now discovering. We all wished he was leaving the day he signed & not stayed to finish the season.

Ryan, Heighno & Ayshford were allegedly part of Benji's club that divided the Tigers dressing room so getting rid of them was integral in moving the club forward. Most of us fans thought it would take 2-3 years but Potter & Mayer did it 1. You guys are now starting to see the reasons why theynwere shipped out of camp Concord.

Pretty Good post. I think Ryan was one who most fans didn't want to leave, as he hardly ever has a bad game and is a great backup at fullback.

I'd rather have Ryan at fullback than Rowe.

Hino is all heart, he busts his arse every game and gives you every ounce of effort he has in him, but his hit ups and tackles are never dominant. This however was used to great effect in 2005-2009 when he would regularly get a quick play the ball away and put the opposition defence on the back foot, which allowed Farah and Benji to exploit them, but even those have started to leave his game. He's a handy enough depth player now, but imo, definitely behind the likes of Sopoaga, Graham, Vave, Arona etc

Frenzy.

Immortal
Shite - did l send you researching ?

Or top of your head?

I usually have the come back ready before I ask the question. Thought you'd know that by now LOL

BTW 2 of those 3 games were against the Sharks and we won them both.

ok so with this hack..

why would you put wto shithouse defenders together?

we all know carney is bad. so is ayshford. to put them together is tactically questionable.

so whats the deal? why do we persist with this gameplan?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Hang on, whuy is Sopoaga getting left out of this? Why is it just Ayshford is bad. Funnily enough, it appears somebody who is no longer with us, got criticised the same way.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok so with this hack..

why would you put wto shithouse defenders together?

we all know carney is bad. so is ayshford. to put them together is tactically questionable.

so whats the deal? why do we persist with this gameplan?

got me beat. As I said, i'd put Robson on Ayshford's side, or at least put Carney further in-field where front rowers can cover for him much easier and put Morris out near Ayshford.

well that just speaks to the overall NFI of the coaching staff and the acceptance of poor performance IMO.

anyone who watches the game tape can see that those two together are a disaster and yet they are both there not defending week in and out.

so wtf? sharks club.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
That side of the field is the natural side of the field to attack. its the weakest link in every club. The poorer the team defends in all other positions the more this position is exposed.
That is the name of the game.