What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The cheating, match-fixing Aussies thread

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,377-2449886,00.html

IRB must rewrite charter for cheats
STUART BARNES
Maintaining fair play is fine, but not if it comes at the expense of flowing rugby
THE INTERNATIONAL Rugby Board (IRB) has blundered. Its well-intentioned zero tolerance policy towards players’ frenzied footwork clouds the shrouded state of play at the breakdown because it fails to address the real problem — the timeless cynicism of defenders willing to throw their bodies between ball-carrier and support in a bid to pinch possession or slow it down sufficiently for a defence to reorganise. Last weekend, New Zealand’s Richie McCaw muscled on to the wrong side of contact on the first three breakdowns. On the fourth, his fellow back-row forward, Chris Masoe, manipulated himself between ball and English support.

Throughout the sport’s history, the attacking team has used the feet of the pack to peel them away from the contact situation while serving a few reminders that heroic cheating comes at a price. Back-row forwards are legends because they have never been afraid of the consequences. Players such as McCaw may be cheats in the minds of opponents but when Lawrence Dallaglio hurled himself into an offside position to prevent quick ball for France in the dying seconds of a tight Test match in Paris, well that was straight out of Henry V.

The IRB has inadvertently supported these “heroes” of the game. In the build-up to the autumn internationals it was announced there would be straight red cards for players seen to trample on opponents. Referees have been ordered to take action against the inappropriate use of feet on bodies. It sounds fine, but in the real world it is not. It is a charter for cheats. Paddy O’Brien, an outstanding recent referee and rugby man to his core, said: “The game has a history of fair play and respect and the IRB is determined such characteristics are maintained.”

These words are softly dealt wounds to the brutal integrity of the sport. Surely O’Brien knows it has been the sheer physicality dished out to cheats that has helped maintain the sport as an attractive proposition when the frequency of huddled masses comprises a constant threat to its grace. No country “cleared bodies” like Paddy’s New Zealand, and 99% of it was never questioned.

The stud-torn shirt across the back, the pain of the iodine, was all part of the sport’s badge of honour. The use of feet was allowed because it was — and continues to be — the best way to provide quick ball and, with it, free-flowing rugby. There were and still are a few thugs who stamp on heads, ankles, knees; areas that were deliberately targeted and a real risk to the health of the illegally located forward. Nobody has ever endorsed vigilante style justice. The referee should red card such dangerous and malicious play.

But these psychopathic tap dancers have always been a tiny minority of the breakdown problem. So small that effective officiating, in tandem with the ubiquitous eye of television, which has played a fundamental role in outlawing the more vicious elements that once bestrode the world’s rugby fields, can readily erase the unacceptable face of stamping. Yellow cards were introduced a few years back to punish not so much clumsy footwork but the cynical killing of ball. The speed with which most referees forgot this and dished out cards for swinging arms and incidents that were borderline red-card offences was alarming.

Now we are turning full circle and offering assistance to the cheats for cosmetic purposes that have more to do with outsiders’ perception of rugby union than the reality of the game. Admittedly O’Brien did attempt to clarify the situation and differentiate between the backwards motion of rucking a player out of the way and the downward agony of a stamp. If only it was that simple.

Touch judges are trigger-happy with flags. They see a stamp where a man has been legitimately cleared from the contact area. Players are nervous enough as it is, but heaping villainy on those who use their feet will only embolden the cheats and make those touch judge eyes sharper still. Alas, too few officials, especially with bodies all around, cluttering the clarity of their view, can make the right call between a ruck and a stamp.

And they are not the only problem. While O’Brien was clarifying the situation, a citing commission was meeting to judge two Toulouse players, cited against Ulster, for breach of law 10.4, which states players must not stamp or trample an opponent. Your average touch judge is not going to delve into the semantics of what constitutes a “trample” as opposed to rucking. If the word is for “zero policy” they are bound to take tough action and signal for overzealous footwork.

The citing commissioner, Iain Goodall, saw his case against Omar Hasan thrown out and it was decided Trevor Brennan’s 10 minutes in the bin was sufficient. What this indicates is an alarming degree of confusion. In the cold light of day a citing officer cannot tell the difference between a stamp/trample and the backwards motion of a rucking boot; worse, if Brennan did stamp, why did the panel deem the 10 minutes in the bin sufficient punishment? Probably because the initial decision was perceived as draconian.

“Zero tolerance”, be it on the streets of our cities or our fields of rugby, does not address the real problems. It is a good soundbite and an easy term of reference for those who administer the laws. But is it just? It only stands a chance if every referee and touch judge has the requisite degree of empathy for each individual circumstance. Where the sweat really reeks and the knees get dirty, it will only aid and abet the very players who would do the real damage to the game which O’Brien would protect.

The sport’s wounds have always healed over, however many times forwards have raked the shirts off opponents’ backs. A jagged sport, it has never needed to bow to the soft-hearted, soft-headed element. It need not do so now.

ozbash

Referee
the above is garbage. there is a difference between rucking and stamping (tho nobodys told the south africans yet) and its the unwritten rule that if you get on the wrong side of the ruck, you'll probably get cleared out by a competitors size 11,s.

no cheating, just good old common sense.

keep searching tho ED :lol:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Thierry Henry said:
Whenever a New Zealand team needs an Australian team to win for them, the Aussies ALWAYS LOSE.

ALWAYS.

So come on you cheating convicts, prove me wrong and beat the Poms next week. I'm not counting on it though.
So will there be an apology if we win?

borntoride

Juniors
Why is it the aussies and kiwi's have been f**king each others butts all tourney. Can't you guys win agame without rigging it or paying off a ref? ;-)

MKEB...

Staff member
borntoride said:
Why is it the aussies and kiwi's have been f**king each others butts all tourney. Can't you guys win agame without rigging it or paying off a ref? ;-)

Cigarettes? Do you mean like Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky?
No, I wouldn't shag a cigarette, not even an aussies cigarette. Never really thought about it TBH. No ref paying here either. I thought that was englands domain...Does the name Graham Pole ring any bells.

Jesbass

First Grade
Wow, I'm amazed by this thread. I'm a very proud Kiwi, but even I can see the hypocrisy in calling Aussies cheats, especially considering recent events. I think we need to sort out our own backyard before kicking up a fuss about our neighbour's. :?

Charlie124

First Grade
Jesbass said:
Wow, I'm amazed by this thread. I'm a very proud Kiwi, but even I can see the hypocrisy in calling Aussies cheats, especially considering recent events. I think we need to sort out our own backyard before kicking up a fuss about our neighbour's. :?

Im amazed by 2 things.

1. Its taken 5 pages for someone to see the irony in a kiwi calling the australian team cheats.... (nathan fien just called, he wanted to know why nobody remembers him)

2. It was a kiwi who was smart enough to finally bring it up :sarcasm: .... (jk cheap shot i know :D )

simon says

First Grade
Charlie124 said:
Im amazed by 2 things.

1. Its taken 5 pages for someone to see the irony in a kiwi calling the australian team cheats.... (nathan fien just called, he wanted to know why nobody remembers him)

2. It was a kiwi who was smart enough to finally bring it up :sarcasm: .... (jk cheap shot i know :D )
Dont forget those overpriced Wariors....

Norty litttle cheaters.

AuckMel

Bench
Jesbass said:

We clearly need to pay more attention to the experts because we keep getting caught.

Maybe if we ran the game we could make up the rules as we went along too.

ozbash

Referee
borntoride said:

its like a religion i suppose, it was knocked into us early in life.

if we didnt stir each other up, there would be no point to playing sport against each other.

its just something we do...........:D

joe27

Juniors
Cricket World Cup 1992. NZ win all their preliminary games except the last one. That loss saw Australia eliminated.

MKEB...

Staff member
UMM... Maybe Pakistan just played better than us, like they did the next game as well. Purely co-incidental how Pakistan made the world cup final that year I guess.

Really mate, thet was quite an inane remark.

don't know how the aussie cricketers (forget the south africans choking) won the 99 world cup. how many overs did it take to beat west indies when chasing 110

Latest posts