What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Choke

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No, the choke is losing to Canberra, lol@50uff$ and the Roosters in a space of 4 weeks with a respectable loss to the Tigers thrown in for good measure. At the beginning of the 4 weeks St Merge were still favourites to win the premiership with all major betting agencies, now they are equal 3rd along with Brisbane and Wests with Sporting Bet.

okay.. so at least now the argument is clearer - you're now saying that it's a successive run of losses that is constituting a choke, whereas your first dig was clearly stating that losing one game to the roosters constituted a choke..

now, i have highlighted one area there in bold..

equal third favourites.

this means that the bookies, who have millions of dollars riding on the outcome of the premiership, still see the "chokers" as among the 3 or 4 teams out of 16 that are the biggest threat to their profits...

which actually gives me some confidence in my team..

to be playing like we have been, but to still be rated above 12 other teams as having a good shot at taking out the title says that the experts still think we can do it..

choke on!

firechild

First Grade
Being equal with 2 teams mean that they are rated among the 5 most likely to win the comp. Given that it would take a miracle for anyone outside the 8 to move within striking distance of the finals it means they are one of the 5 out of 8. Most Newcastle fans are realistic and don't rate their chances at all, they will certainly be making up the numbers. Given all that, I wouldn't rate being in the top 5 in terms of favourites all that positive.

I'm not sure anything I said related directly to a loss to the Roosters consituting a choke. Perhaps you could provide a quote the demonstrates your point? Alternatively, perhaps you are thinking of something that someone else has said and attributing it to myself?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I wouldn't rate being in the top 5 in terms of favourites all that positive.

i would.. being in the top 5 can really be counted as a successful season, all thing considered..

I'm not sure anything I said related directly to a loss to the Roosters consituting a choke. Perhaps you could provide a quote the demonstrates your point? Alternatively, perhaps you are thinking of something that someone else has said and attributing it to myself?

whoops.. yep got you mixed up with someone else.. heheh..

firechild

First Grade
i would.. being in the top 5 can really be counted as a successful season, all thing considered..

Thats true and certainly most clubs would be satisfied with a top 5 finish. Having said that, there is no guarantee of even that, finishing 7th or even 8th is a very real possibility. In fact they could be 7th after this weekend. Secondly, most clubs didn't come into this season being touted as potentially one of the greatest teams in the modern era. That being the case, anything less than a top 4 finish and a preliminary final place would probably be seen as an underachievement.

Lego_Man

First Grade
The only thing this thread proves is the Holocaust required to purge these forums of the geniused minds that now think any loss equals a choke.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
f**k all youse idiots with the chockers, chookers, chokers tags.....

Its not a choke. No joke.

Its a collapse.....a f**king HUGE one.

Mr Fourex

Bench
f**k all youse idiots with the chockers, chookers, chokers tags.....

Its not a choke. No joke.

Its a collapse.....a f**king HUGE one.

Would a choke constitute losing an important game that everyone has backed you to win?

Beating the Rorters yesterday was important to the Dragones top 4 spot aspirations........ wasn't it?

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Would a choke constitute losing an important game that everyone has backed you to win?

Beating the Rorters yesterday was important to the Dragones top 4 spot aspirations........ wasn't it?

That was tongue in cheek. We're well beyond choking. We are falling apart.

Fair dinkum, if there's one thing worse than a tool, it a tool who doesn't get shit.

carcharias

Immortal
catpiss.jpg

fixed it.

dragons__

Juniors
Gosh it would be funny now if the dragons do go on to win the gf (not that i see it happening). What will everyone be saying then? Any calls of congratulations for recovering from a massive end of year collapse by those who casualy throw out this 'chokers' tag? I wouldn't put my house on it..

carcharias

Immortal
Gosh it would be funny now if the dragons do go on to win the gf (not that i see it happening). What will everyone be saying then? Any calls of congratulations for recovering from a massive end of year collapse by those who casualy throw out this 'chokers' tag? I wouldn't put my house on it..

gosh....
it is funny right now if you ask me .

Fingerbang

Bench
Just means we have to wait another 12 months to see the flock start bleating again as they are being led to the 2013 pasture.

Ozzy

First Grade
Why worry about what others think? People have been claiming that the Roosters are Rorters for years now, meh.

bottle

Coach
No expectation? Coulda fooled me. The fact that one betting agency paid out on Dragons as minor premiership half way through the season suggests they may have been heavy favourites (regardless of the fact it was a publicity stunt). The fact the choke set in earlier than expected doesn't take away from the fact that the Dragqueens were heavy favourites to win the 2011 premiership.

You'd better edit this post. You slipped up and called the team the Dragons instead of Merge, St. Merge, Illawarra, Dragqueens, Dragoons, or some other variation of an insult. Must take some effort to keep up with the child part of your nic.

HowHigh

Coach

We've lost 7 of our last 9 games we weren't really all that garunteed to win.