What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The clean out

Twenty10

Juniors
But I am also saying perhaps people here are placing way too much faith and trust in players like Merrin and Morris. I know they are good players. But they can't keep washing for small fortunes. We need to buy other players that are comparable or just behind them. That's our issue. At the moment they think they are way about anyone else at the club.

Time to let them go.

Look at penrith... Axed Jennings, Lewis, grant, coote... I mean for panthers fans that was a disaster. Now look at them

gonz

Juniors
But I am also saying perhaps people here are placing way too much faith and trust in players like Merrin and Morris. I know they are good players. But they can't keep washing for small fortunes. We need to buy other players that are comparable or just behind them. That's our issue. At the moment they think they are way about anyone else at the club.

Time to let them go.

Look at penrith... Axed Jennings, Lewis, grant, coote... I mean for panthers fans that was a disaster. Now look at them

Penrith have a great CEO / Chairman and top rated coach!

what so saints have ?

matPORTS

Juniors
As mentioned in previous thread... I don't believe any player has the right to hold the club to ransom when:

A. They are already under contract for 2015.
B. The team hasn't performed to the standard expected in 2014 (+ 2013 + 2012).

Mez had a break out year in 2013 and was the stand out player in our very well beaten side. As for his 2014? At best I'll say he was equal to that of 2013 with maybe a slight improvement?

If we were to give him his rumored wanted upgrade for 2015, could he justify this with further on field improvement & extra workload? It will mean we will have no choice but to promote the likes of Fonua-Blake and Rory O'Brien (whether they are ready or not), as the money freed up by offloading the likes of Harrison, Hunt, Matthews, Groat etc will be used for his upgrade and not to buy the extra one or two experienced props we need from outside the club. This will mean taking a leadership role in the team and carrying our young/inexperienced forwards while they develop.

With Creaghs' career potentially coming to an end in the next couple of years, stepping up and carrying some extra burden now may not be a bad thing for Mez. But is he ready for it? I'm not so sure at the moment. Also, can he guarantee that he will stay injury free next season? What happens when he goes off on rep duty?

Without a doubt, the club is going to have to make some tough decisions if we are to get back to the pointy end of the competition any time soon.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Twenty10 and gonz agree with your post well said.

I would hope that sooner rather than later Doust goes. Retires gets, the sack, resigns I don't care. Ben Ikin said on NRL 360 that Wayne Bennett rates Doust as the best CEO he has worked with. Anyone that Wayne endorses is a smoke screen for the club to fail. Wayne endorsed, Ivan Henjak, Steve Price and then some other clown for the Newcastle job before Gidley came to the realisation never to listen to anything Wayne says. Past has proven so. Hence the appointment of Rick Stone.

It will be all in the signing of new players to blend in with the current players that are staying and how Mary brings them together as a team. Right now there is no team. We are the dysfunctional Dragons.

gonz

Juniors
Twenty10 and gonz agree with your post well said.

I would hope that sooner rather than later Doust goes. Retires gets, the sack, resigns I don't care. Ben Ikin said on NRL 360 that Wayne Bennett rates Doust as the best CEO he has worked with. Anyone that Wayne endorses is a smoke screen for the club to fail. Wayne endorsed, Ivan Henjak, Steve Price and then some other clown for the Newcastle job before Gidley came to the realisation never to listen to anything Wayne says. Past has proven so. Hence the appointment of Rick Stone.

It will be all in the signing of new players to blend in with the current players that are staying and how Mary brings them together as a team. Right now there is no team. We are the dysfunctional Dragons.

Yep the mind boggles why he endorsed these clowns, let's not forget Craig young endorsed to

RedVDragon

Juniors
There you go Gonz. Hasn't Mary moved Albert sideways? Craig Young was a great player however a failed Coach. Brian Smith replaced him and cleaned his mess up.

grouch

First Grade
TBH Grouch I'm happy to suffer and see a step or two backwards as long as there are some massive strides forward in the not too distant future.
Don't hold your breath. We're entering a Ricky Stuart pattern here. Expect to hear words like "plan" and "patience" repeated ad nauseum over the next few years, we might even hear him complaining about a lack of rep players

Slippery Morris

First Grade
A cleanout is when you get rid of dead wood or non performers. BMoz and Nighty have been our ONLY performers in 3 years. Merrin has also been good the 3 years. They are the 3 to keep not to make as scapegoats for poor performances.

We would probably have to pay clubs to take Hunt, Harrisson, Matthews, Stockwell and AuMau off us cause they are the worst of the bunch by a mile and would not make any other FG side.

Saints should look at the ESL for some forwards. I am sure they would be cheap alternatives there.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have never heard of a coach leave so much damage in my life. Not even Ricky Stuart does this much damage to a club. Or is the board to blame? I am sure they rely on teh coach to provide opinions and feedback on these matters and they were fed absolutle rubbish.

New Phrase which should catch on - "Doing a Steve Price" - Pretending to be a coach when obviously you have no idea.

jenninga

First Grade
This is all good in theory, but already signing George Rose is not a great idea. He has issues with fitness and attitude. If Toovey, Bellamy and Hasler could not sort him out, what chance are we?
Beale, Farrell, Groat gone. With Morris most likely gone as his absolute silence to shutdown this talk tells me he is gone. Merrin at least is on record stating he wants to stay. I still do t don't know about Harrison and Green if they are gone. I also hear Nightingale is shopped around??? In in all this is a massive shakeup from a Club, who only a year ago had been most active in player market? Which is another can of worms. Let's not forget Williams and Drinkwater...so in summary what right royal cockup this has been...and again we find ourselves starting from scratch next year!,,,,,

I want all these players gone,all recruited by Price,we need to start fresh as all these players have not given us good service.

gonz

Juniors
I have never heard of a coach leave so much damage in my life. Not even Ricky Stuart does this much damage to a club. Or is the board to blame? I am sure they rely on teh coach to provide opinions and feedback on these matters and they were fed absolutle rubbish.

New Phrase which should catch on - "Doing a Steve Price" - Pretending to be a coach when obviously you have no idea.

who signed that coach?

BennyV

Referee

It wasnt all Price. Craig Youngs 3 years at recruitment manager royally f**ked us. Signing guys like Rein and Hunt to high dollar long term deals, while letting go or refusing to purchase players we needed.

Minh

First Grade
We have to face up to the facts guys that the game has become about who has the deepest pockets, business connections etc. It's no longer about producing good juniors, seeing them through to FG and excelling, most of our good ones are being poached by rich clubs.

The game has become very predictable and it's unfortunately getting harder to follow, it just doesn't have the integrity it once had, where local juniors were tearing it up for their club colors.

gonz

Juniors
We have to face up to the facts guys that the game has become about who has the deepest pockets, business connections etc. It's no longer about producing good juniors, seeing them through to FG and excelling, most of our good ones are being poached by rich clubs.

The game has become very predictable and it's unfortunately getting harder to follow, it just doesn't have the integrity it once had, where local juniors were tearing it up for their club colors.

the integrity goes when clubs like the back2back gf runners up dogs, roosters, storm try to exploit the cap and always will....actaully they abide to the cap i should say but 3rd party well thats another story.

TheRev

Coach

spot on, and its why I hope the draft comes in asap, it has its flaws but our club is dead in the water because we can't compete financially, even if we had some more brains running the club.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey Minh, I disagree with some of your theory mate as the Souths team that was so dominant this year had a backline and halves full of juniors bar 2 and there forwards had quite a few juniors as well. The Burgess brothers were bought from England on the cheap. They took a ount and it worked wonders. Their board is more pasisonate for success than ours unfortunately and look outside the square.

The coach plays a huge role in how he prepares the players. Maguire has proved to be a great coach. Souths have also recruited extremely well. Bought the experience they needed. They lost Sandow and brought in Reynolds which showed class. The guy we had looking after all this was useless for 2.5 years. Browny will probably be similar to Maguire and will use his experience to bring some good forwards accross from the ESL so he would be a great choice as assistant to Mary.

A good coach is worth his weight in gold. The CEO and board are responsible for bringing in the coach and unfortunately they took a punt with Price which we all thought was a good choice at the time. Not many of us here were bagging Doust when Price got the gig. It was more a pat on the back for giving the assistant the gig to continue the good work. Not only Doust but we were all proven wrong. Only issue I have is why did it take them so long to sack him. Why did they need to see more of the same to see he was not cut out to be a coach?

Looks like the guy in charge of recruitment has made a mess of the salary cap situation and Mullholland who is a great choice will fix the mess. All this talk of players leaving but nothing official yet so looks like there is alot of work being done. Let's wait and see.

Mr Red

First Grade
irrespective of if you agree with the salary cap rules, and 3rd party deals.. the fact of the matter is that its still EQUAL for all clubs to exploit.
the fact a lot do it better than the dragons isnt a reason to complain about the rules of the cap, it should be a massive wake up call to our board who are the dinosaurs that simply dont have the ability to exploit the cap and 3rd party deals to its full potential...

we are off the pace big time on the field, but even more off the pace off the field...

Latest posts