What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The clean out

gonz

Juniors
irrespective of if you agree with the salary cap rules, and 3rd party deals.. the fact of the matter is that its still EQUAL for all clubs to exploit.
the fact a lot do it better than the dragons isnt a reason to complain about the rules of the cap, it should be a massive wake up call to our board who are the dinosaurs that simply dont have the ability to exploit the cap and 3rd party deals to its full potential...

we are off the pace big time on the field, but even more off the pace off the field...

so what do we do then, continue as is?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We have to face up to the facts guys that the game has become about who has the deepest pockets, business connections etc. It's no longer about producing good juniors, seeing them through to FG and excelling, most of our good ones are being poached by rich clubs.

The game has become very predictable and it's unfortunately getting harder to follow, it just doesn't have the integrity it once had, where local juniors were tearing it up for their club colors.

Good comments Minh..,most players see the game as a business venture these days...I'm afraid the colour of your jersey for some is long gone
mate :x

TruSaint

Referee
We have to face up to the facts guys that the game has become about who has the deepest pockets, business connections etc. It's no longer about producing good juniors, seeing them through to FG and excelling, most of our good ones are being poached by rich clubs.

The game has become very predictable and it's unfortunately getting harder to follow, it just doesn't have the integrity it once had, where local juniors were tearing it up for their club colors.

Welcome back Minh.

Where have you been?

I didnt get a late note.

PS good post mate.

possm

Coach
I have never heard of a coach leave so much damage in my life. Not even Ricky Stuart does this much damage to a club. Or is the board to blame? I am sure they rely on teh coach to provide opinions and feedback on these matters and they were fed absolutle rubbish.

New Phrase which should catch on - "Doing a Steve Price" - Pretending to be a coach when obviously you have no idea.

It was obvious to me early on in Price's coaching term that he was not up to it. But I really do not think you can put this one on Price. I seem to remember that Doust and Young (both double dippers in so far that they are Board Members and employees of the Club) were the people who handled recruitment and their submission would have been approved by the Board.

Last edited:

gonz

Juniors
It was obvious to me early on in Price's coaching term that he was not up to it. But I really do not think you can put this one on Price. I seem to remember that Doust and Young (both double dippers in so far that they Board Members and employees of the Club) were the people that handled recruitment and their submission would have been approved by the Board.

100% possm......
There is silence from Doust himself and his band of merry followers !
Doust is leading them all to a black hole, and there all happy to go with it haha

love my saints

Juniors

Agree 100%. Well said Minh.
At the end of the day, no matter how good the club is towards players, its all about the $$$.
Players have too look after there futures, loyalty is dead!!!
If the dogs didnt have massive 3rd party deals not many players would stay there.
Its all business now a days.

giboz71

First Grade

Yes and No.

The bigger issue with the dragons is that for whatever reason, we recruit and retain players who aren't worth what they are paid. Hunt is the prime example, Harrison another, and even Dugan on 700k is questionable. Added to this, we have very few rookies in our top 25 and we seemingly have no capability of finding bargain basement buys. Semi Radrara was wing of year this year and his salary isn't even six figures. Yet, we're scrambling to keep Morris for somewhere north of $500k and above.

We show no aptitude in identifying and developing talent, find a pathway for juniors to reach FG and keep our salary cap in check. Instead, if there is a disgruntled/troubled player with a big reputation...we throw a million or so at them and hope for the best (ie Dugan, Marshall and maybe Packer). Just sheer laziness.

I don't know why we keep going on about the Dogs and the Roosters and these so called 3rd party deals. We're apparently $700k over the cap so clearly money isn't the problem.

We're just clueless on how we spend it.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree 100%. Well said Minh.
At the end of the day, no matter how good the club is towards players, its all about the $$$.
Players have too look after there futures, loyalty is dead!!!
If the dogs didnt have massive 3rd party deals not many players would stay there.
Its all business now a days.

That is why we are not anywhere near the top sides.....3rd party deals are happening at most clubs...... we seem to be lagging behind in this area,How about Doust and the coaching staff take a pay cut ......... for not managing our great club to be competitive:? and not moving ahead with the times.......

love my saints

Juniors
That is why we are not anywhere near the top sides.....3rd party deals are happening at most clubs...... we seem to be lagging behind in this area,How about Doust and the coaching staff take a pay cut ......... for not managing our great club to be competitive:? and not moving ahead with the times.......

So, in essence, you would like our club to bend the rules, cheat, and scoop to the levels of teams such as the dogs??
Let me ask, what would everyones reaction be if we did this, and got caught? Everyone on here would be asking for Dousts head!!!
so it a no win for Uncle Pete, may as well stay safe and play by the rules!!
Me personally, id rather another year missing the 8 then to ever see my club get dragged through the dirt and be labbelled as cheats!!!
Each to there own.

to_ddeath

Coach
So, in essence, you would like our club to bend the rules, cheat, and scoop to the levels of teams such as the dogs??
Let me ask, what would everyones reaction be if we did this, and got caught? Everyone on here would be asking for Dousts head!!!
Me personally, id rather another year missing the 8 then to ever see my club get dragged through the dirt and be labbelled as cheats!!!
Each to there own.

Enjoy your mediocrity sandwich then, hope it tastes nice enough for you going forward...

T.

bottle

Coach
Each to there own.

I'm voting for cheating.
You get slapped on the wrist at the time, but two years later you win a comp with essentially the same squad.
See Dogs 2002/2004 and Melbourne 2010/2012.
Premiership baby.:D

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
Each to there own.

WRONG!!! if Doust did get caught, then what a idiot!!!! Raelene Castle shits all over this little turd and she didn't even know a thing about RL and Doust has been here how many Years? got shown up by a better businesswoman that has just moved to Australia. How can she manage to get all these 3rd party sponsors when our turd has been in Sydney his whole life?

May as well stay safe? and keep finishing outside the 8? good guy mentality don't work these days, its a business now and needs to be treated like one.

love my saints

Juniors
WRONG!!! if Doust did get caught, then what a idiot!!!! Raelene Castle shits all over this little turd and she didn't even know a thing about RL and Doust has been here how many Years? got shown up by a better businesswoman that has just moved to Australia. How can she manage to get all these 3rd party sponsors when our turd has been in Sydney his whole life?

May as well stay safe? and keep finishing outside the 8? good guy mentality don't work these days, its a business now and needs to be treated like one.

Like i said, each to there own.
Its been 12 years since the dogs got caught, and that cheats name still follows them around.
and, raelene is doing it so well cause her old boss who started it all is currently in a position to ensure she is untouchable!!!
It is a business now, in the real world, if u f#@k around too much the ATO will eventually get you, and you can kiss your business goodbye when they do!!!
Im glad Doust is doing it all legit, everyone can bag him out all they want, but he enabled me to see my team win a GF, he put it all together, that shows that despite the current f#@k ups, the guy actually does know what he is doing!!!
Like i said, each to there own :)

possm

Coach
Its been 12 years since the dogs got caught, and that cheats name still follows them around.
and, raelene is doing it so well cause her old boss who started it all is currently in a position to ensure she is untouchable!!!
It is a business now, in the real world, if u f#@k around too much the ATO will eventually get you, and you can kiss your business goodbye when they do!!!
Im glad Doust is doing it all legit, everyone can bag him out all they want, but he enabled me to see my team win a GF, he put it all together, that shows that despite the current f#@k ups, the guy actually does know what he is doing!!!

I have a suggestion.
If we can't clean out the Board until 2018, maybe we should very stongly ask the Board to appont a 'clever dick' to set up 3rd party player sponsorship and all the other LEGAL loopholes that the likes of the Dogs, Rooster, Broncos and Rabbits are using.

Then everyone on here join the Leagues Club as a full 5 year member and vote as you wish for Board Members.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

I agree with most of what your saying, but don't give doust too much credit for the premiership. I'm pretty sure Bennett, after being rejected by both the cowgirls and bullgrubs, fell into dousts lap.

Secondly, once Bennett was appointed, in no uncertain terms, he told doust to butt out of all matters related to the management of the football team.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Raelene Castle has the support of the NRL behind her she can do what ever she wants as it is clear who runs the show. He has been caught twice doing stuff outside the rules and nothing has happened. He still has a job.

I wish the NRL would come out and clear the allegations of these Salary cap cheats if they are in fact true? It would put everyone to rest. If true then the clubs that like Saints are obviously broke and using the Salary cap as a reason to get rid of players and are working on a roster worth 5 mil.

to_ddeath

Coach

Yeah, he got it right once. Out of 14 years. Picked up the phone & bobs your uncle.
Since then Wayne has simply used him as a lever for better offers. That business relationship must have really ended well.
The current f#@k ups? What about the numerous others?

T.

TruSaint

Referee

Mate, I honestly have to disagree.

Doust has had coming up to 16 years to guide this ship, with a plethora of opportunities.

As to our premiership? It was a wonderful day that I will never forget, but it was well overdue. Lets not forget that we 2 clubs and regions to call upon. Even the busted Tigers have won a premiership. With the talent we had, and the coach it was a given.

Many people on this forum whom I respect differ in their opinions of Doust. Thats fine. I just think his time is up, and that happens to all CEO's. The game changes, the rules change and the dynamics of winning change. We are not competing in these realms.

As to the ATO shutting down the club, well all I can say is that when you are running at a loss, it hard to hide profits and/or rort the government. Rather than worrying about the ATO, we would worry about being solvent.

I don't profess to have the answers, but I have said time and time again... those who blame Price, Mary, Young etc are off track. Decisions are made at board level, and he is our leader.

Latest posts