What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cleanout list

caylo

Bench
Mate, you won't get an argument out of me saying that we haven't screwed up our halves retention.

But a comparison between then NFL and NRL is fair enough - both are technical games and in this instance they have it right. And some teams don't even have a 3rd string QB - the rules only say you need a minimum of 2. So you drop your first string, your second gets injured and you're left without a QB.

I reckon we should do our playing rosters similar to what the NFL does: minimum of 2 halves, 2 5/8s. 4 centres, 4 wingers, 4 props....etc. in the top 25. Because you look at ur top 25 and we have craploads of backs and second-rowers and no props.

In the top 25 we have Cayless, Fui, Cordoba and Paulo and Mannah... 4 props the problem is one is injured, 1 is crap, 1 is young, 1 is inconsistant... you are left with 1.5 props. I think you need atleast 5 props and 1 or 2 backrower who can play in the front row.

Next year if we keep Fui, Cayless, Mannah and Paulo we need the addition if atleast 1 prop (preferably a quality one).

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cordoba is a prop by name but plays like a softcock...

Fui, Caylo and Mannah are props. Problem is Caylo is out of form and Mannah is still learning. Paulo is injured.

So basically you have 4 props in your top 25 and no contingency plan for when you're struggling.

caylo

Bench

Fui, Caylo and Mannah are props. Problem is Caylo is out of form and Mannah is still learning. Paulo is injured.

So basically you have 4 props in your top 25 and no contingency plan for when you're struggling.

Hence why I think you need 5 props and 2 backrower who can play upfront. In a squad of 25 I would have (with 2010 squad of who we should keep IMO.

1 fullback (Hayne,)
2 wingers (Grothe, Reddy)
2 centres (Inu, ??)
+ 3 outside backs for cover (Etu, Wright, Gardner)

1 5-8 (keating)
1 halfback (??)
+ 2 players to cover the halves (Mortimer, Kelly)

5 Props (Cayless, Fui, Paulo, Mannah, ??)
6 backrower (Hindy, Mateo, Robenson, Lewis, ??, ??)

2 Hookers (Keating, Mitchell)

In other words we need a centre (which Richardson can fill IMO), A Prop, a few backrower. I go all out for atleast 1 Prop and 1 Secondrow, and if Richardson can step up into the centres we need a backup halfback (or an experianced one if Mortimer isnt read) and a young backrower/prop type player (Va Ve and Spring form the gold coast... dangle a carrot infront of them)

btaag

Juniors
we desperately need one prop and one backrower with some mongerel in them. Ever since we lost Dean Pay we have not had a true enforcer. Fui Fui is a great runner of the ball in spurts and is our most damaging forward, but we need more of them.
I think we have too many lightweight, lean, dare I say 'soft' backrowers/lightweight props. You need your share of athletic, versatile toilers, but we have too many in our mix.

Players like Jeremy Smith and Justin Poore would add starch to the side.

As for wingers, a few more solid, predictable and safe players like Reddy and even someone like Beau Ryan (?) from the Tigers would be handy.

Fitz mentioned that we would be looking at several players in key positions next season - I hope he is correct (whether he stays or not)

Tonight for me showed just how far we are behind the top sides in skill and class.

Keep:

Moi Moi
Hindmarsh
K. Keating
Mateo
Hayne
Keating
Reddy
Inu

Borderline:

Gulavao
M. Keating (no one falls for the dummy when you use it 50 times a game!)
Mannah (I think we should give him another year)

See ya later:

Burt
Tautai
Cayless
Hauraki
Oake
Cordoba
Robson
Lowrie
Smith

you would keep Inu and loose burt? i fail to see hoe Inu has proved to be of more value to our squad this yaer than burt

btaag

Juniors
you would keep Inu and loose burt? i fail to see hoe Inu has proved to be of more value to our squad this yaer than burt

I do not think Burt should go, but Inu has unlimited potential, yet is not putting-in 100% effort. He has 10 years left in football and we would be stupid to get rid of him at this stage (unless his attitude gets worse). He is a non drinking well-behaved guy - much better than some of the 'off-the-rails' idiots that we and other clubs have had to deal with.

Stagger eel

Staff member

just on INU, I'm lead to believe that his defence wasn't one of his strong points today against a Cronulla reserve grade side...I'd say barring any injury or suspensions he could be spending a bit more time with Wenty.

btaag

Juniors
Maybe he needs to have some fun again? I would imagine the news Stagger has just passed-on would definitely suggest a longer spell (especially with the bye coming up)

fish eel

Immortal
I'd keep Tautai, didnt see the game friday night but do think he has potential. Still just a kid, he'd go OK in a functional backline IMO.

Phillips

Referee
Tautai isnt that fast though.. he looked quiet speedy a few yrs ago when i saw him play lower grades.

Pazza

First Grade
tautai is useless, offloads to an open reddy but it rolls along the ground. Jumps above the pack with no one contesting over the try line and bats it back. Has no speed, the guy just does nothing for me

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
we need to learn from the titans...ie good fullback-burt or hayne, top halfback-buy one, excellent hooker pound for pound-buy one, then toss in a hard arse coach and conditioner who has actually played at the top level.

That`s the answer. Parramatta has had this tradition for years now, of relying almost solely on local juniors. It`s very admirable - but it doesn`t work! You have to buy players every few years to stay on top.

lingard

Coach
Agree with your tidy up. Interestingly enough, we will probably find a way to keep the crap on this list and end up saying goodbye to a lot of the promising guys at Wenty and in the 20's. Then of course, they will go on to play like champions at other clubs and kick the sh*t out of us.

I don`t think so. I have some confidence in Anderson to be the man who finally gets recruitment right after all these years. He had the balls to say goodbye to Finch. I reckon he`ll have the balls to carry right on with it.

lingard

Coach
Surely the toughness of the transition is another reason not to throw him to the sharks so early? What do you expect him to do coming into a team with little confidence, erratic shape, no defence whatsoever and a pretty average roster? He's not dominating a decent NYC side, he's clearly not ready, why make things infinitely more difficult by throwing him into a struggling first grade side?

You say KK is a 6....I say Mortimer is still very much a five-eighth, more so than Keating. This is his first year as a full time 7 and he has struggled at times to cope with the role. He is also very small and often targetted heavily in defence, another reason he can struggle in attack and something that will be excacerbated by the big first grade forwards. He is still learning how to be an NYC halfback and you want to throw him into first grade and expect him to solve our woes? It just won't happen...throw him in now and you set him back a season

That`s right. You could probably think about blooding someone like Mortimer if you had a team like the Broncos around him. But no way would you do it with the current Parra team. It`s a very unbalanced side - too many young or old players and not enough (none) established stars. When you think about it, Tim Mannah is doing a mighty job under these conditions.

lingard

Coach
In the top 25 we have Cayless, Fui, Cordoba and Paulo and Mannah... 4 props the problem is one is injured, 1 is crap, 1 is young, 1 is inconsistant... you are left with 1.5 props. I think you need atleast 5 props and 1 or 2 backrower who can play in the front row.

Next year if we keep Fui, Cayless, Mannah and Paulo we need the addition if atleast 1 prop (preferably a quality one).

If we only buy one prop, he`s gunna have to be a f**kIN` good one. I hope we get two. I`d keep Mannah. Have to wait and see what Paulo does for the rest of the year. So far he`s nothing but a question mark.

lingard

Coach

I think Mannah is doing a MIGHTY job, trying to learn the game of prop, when you consider who his teachers and mentors are......... Who has he got? Fui Fui and ..... well.....Fui Fui.

The P Eel

Juniors
I agree with everything you just said - Keating 5/8, Mateo lock. But at the moment we don`t have a halfback. So it`s either use Keating at half (where he`s doing a good job at present) or put Robson at half for the rest of the year and switch Keating to 5/8. No-one on here seems to agree with me that Robson is pretty good. I think he`d be a conservative type half-back - steady, mistake-free - who would give good service to Keating, and take on the line when necessary. Be worth a go I reckon.
Hey LINGARD - i am with you - i agreed with you in another thread - Robson has shown me nothing that deserves to be dropped - what's wrong with saying to him the 7 is yours for the rest of the year - move KK to 5/8 and let them loose - surely we could not do worse.

The P Eel

Juniors
If we only buy one prop, he`s gunna have to be a f**kIN` good one. I hope we get two. I`d keep Mannah. Have to wait and see what Paulo does for the rest of the year. So far he`s nothing but a question mark.
Paulo returned today with Wenty off the bench - hopefully will make an impact in the next month and work his way into 1st grade though a bye next week for Wenty may slow progress. Inu showed nothing and the bye next week may condemn him to a few more weeks with Wenty - though Tautai did nothing to keep his 1st grade position IMO

Fathead

Bench
I fail to see why Reddy doesnt get a shot at Fullback. The last time he played fullback (a couple of years ago against the Saints) he killed them.
He is a natural fullback. Played all his juniors at fullback - Is safe and dependable AND is capable of tackling someone when they break the line.
I like Burt but I just cant find a space for him.

Inu should be bought back as a winger. He is a great winger.

How anyone can have Ben Smith anywhere near a first grade squad at the moment is unbelieveable.

Latest posts