What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

azzah72

Bench
Strange was great. Only DC fanboys like CC say otherwise.

I love comments like this because THAT'S the only possible explanation other than perhaps people think it's mediocre.

Maybe the only way people thinks it's good is because they're Marvel fanboys?

I'm neither and thought it was completely average.

2 weeks

Coach
Baby Groot will be their biggest toy this Xmas.

It's all about the benjamins, even at the expense of the story.

Plus Ego as Quill's dad? WTF is up with that?

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah I have zero interest in seeing another Spiderman series. His inclusion in Civil War was a cheap gimmick.

Especially since Tony Stark broke his own rules of governance and accountability and went and recruited him for no apparent reason (we know the real reason). They may be entertaining but god the Marvel movies are lazy.

Should have stopped at the underrated McQuire spidey movies.

T.S Quint

Coach
The Raimi Spidey movies were ok for their time (except the third), but watching them now is incredibly hard.
The scripts are pretty damn bad, with some of the worst dialogue ever put on film. Some awful acting as well.

I actually liked Marc Webb's two Spidey movies better.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I've never understood the praise for Spider-man 2. While I liked it, some of the dialogue in it is excruciatingly bad.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Those movies were visually good but thats about it. Just about every main character in all 3 of them were completely miscast. Topher Grace being the most laughable and Toby McGuire is one of the most wooden actors of all time.

vvvrulz

Coach
The Raimi Spidey movies were ok for their time (except the third), but watching them now is incredibly hard.
The scripts are pretty damn bad, with some of the worst dialogue ever put on film. Some awful acting as well.

I actually liked Marc Webb's two Spidey movies better.
I've never understood the praise for Spider-man 2. While I liked it, some of the dialogue in it is excruciatingly bad.

Those movies were visually good but thats about it. Just about every main character in all 3 of them were completely miscast. Topher Grace being the most laughable and Toby McGuire is one of the most wooden actors of all time.

I saw them not too long ago and still enjoyed them, yes they're a little campy but imo it found the blend generally right. The characterisations were generally solid and the plot lines played out well other than the hopeless third act of Spiderman III (I thought the first half was good though) This was before the 'dark and broody comic book age came along, which only the Nolan movies and Watchmen got right. Don't forget these were the films (along with X-Men) that really got the whole genre kick-started in the first place.

Don't see the acting gripes? McGuire I thought did fine, Parker is supposed to be awkward, forgettable and easily picked on, something Garfield (good actor) absolutely was not. His only really embarrassing moment was disco Pete. JK Simmons was absolutely perfect. Dafoe, stupid mask aside, was fantastic, as was Molina, both of them really brought their A games. Dunst wasn't great but passable enough, Franco showed good range in Spidey 2, until the scripting screwed him up late in the trilogy. The only complete disaster imo was Topher Grace, Venom was never supposed to be there in the first place and got shoved in forcibly by the studios apparently.

Compare this to TAS, Garfield was miscast as Peter but a good Spidey. Stone was good but her character arc was very badly done. Martin Sheen only existed to be predictable fodder. The Lizard looked terrible although Irfans was fine. Leary was wasted. Foxx, Giamatti, DeHaan were all abysmal and every bit as goofy and over the top as the original trilogy villains, only they tried to exist in a dark world and looked completely out of place.

TAS was a competent enough movie, albeit introducing nothing new, but TAS2 was every bit as bad as Spiderman III in terms of plot, it just flailed around frantically.

Anyway, all just opinions, I think the Raimi trilogy gets more hate than it deserves.