What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The elephant.. errr.. bird in the room

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Depends if he wants to play in the spine, or just spine money. He's a real footballer and deserves a spot somewhere in the 17 but I still don't think he's nailed down any one position yet. On that basis he is worth persisting with, but if he wants outrageous money while not even being the best performing centre at the club I'm not fussed about losing him.

As long as we retain both Holmes and Barba.
Agree....let him win us a comp then faarrkk him off!

coolumsharkie

Referee
Like the team Blue but don't agree that Heino is quite past it yet. Although not being huge he tends to make decent meters with his pitter-patter steps and backing into the line on occasions. Unusual but effective imo.

Not to mention his defense. Makes me laugh how people pass judgement on a player based on his size and age. Personally I reckon he's got a bigger motor than Lewis, less effective angle runner but his ability to sniff out tired defenders and get the op on the back foot is great. He will be missed next year for sure.

shaggs

Coach
Heighnos leg drive and constant shirt fast steps is what makes him the metres. As a starter he couldn't really angle in around the tuck and looked average. Back off the bench this weekend those runs into the ditch with constant leg movement make him hard to stop

Bench him for the Storm , start Lewy. Or put Feki at Center and use Gagan on the wing?

Feki has admitted publicly he couldn't defend as a centre.
Lewie is ok as a stop gap but doesn't have the speed to be a starting edge player and moving him weakens the strongest department in our existing structure.
Gagan hasn't played first grade in 2 years what makes you think he is up to it?

What exactly is meant to be gained by benching or sacking Bird? Do you think punishment and negative motivational tactics are the best way to achieve an outcome for a struggling player, particularly when so much is on the line?

Sacking a player is an extreme measure, highly risky and in this case is extremely stupid and therefore unlikely.

He's in a slump. You don't destroy a good player for a couple of dud games. Watch him come good on the big stage.

Vin Fizz

Bench
I think Flanno has been trying new things so we have some variety. Some worked some hasn't but most fell into place on Saturday after looking promising the week before all be it resulting in a loss. I wonder weather some of those changes means Birdy is not seeing the same kind of service he was before. That could mess with your mojo a bit which will effect attack and defence. Tend to think he is a big game player as well and we will see the best of him starting Saturday.

Surely

Post Whore
You can't drop the kid , but he doesn't look enthusiastic at the moment, maybe it's a confidence thing.

Windy70

Juniors
He will lift his game next week and carry into the finals. We have seen what he can do when on his game so no way you kick him to the footpath. Young bloke with true talent and footy brain.

Arnold

Juniors
I think Flanno has been trying new things so we have some variety. Some worked some hasn't but most fell into place on Saturday after looking promising the week before all be it resulting in a loss. I wonder weather some of those changes means Birdy is not seeing the same kind of service he was before. That could mess with your mojo a bit which will effect attack and defence. Tend to think he is a big game player as well and we will see the best of him starting Saturday.

The sweep plays they are running is seeing Barba get the ball almost ontop of Bird.

I sit at the northern end and the sweep plays heading towards the MP stand were very wide and we don't run them to hit a centre at a hole we run them to free up Humphrey.

I think the reason for his slump was is two fold. He was definitely reading his own press around origin and starting to believe it too.

He was also leader of the "well we've made the top 4 so there's no point to this last month" brigade.

He has been spoken to and I'd expect to see heavy improvement.

shaggs

Coach
Needs to start hitting ball at speed. More effort required in defence too

Interesting you say that. I get the impression that he is receiving the ball very late, very close to the line, which is putting even more pressure on his ordinary passing game. As for defence, he is trying to grab from too far away. 1 or 2 short steps to better position his body.
Both technique issues with the correct coaching and attitude should be easy to Improve

Quigs

Immortal
Interesting you say that. I get the impression that he is receiving the ball very late, very close to the line, which is putting even more pressure on his ordinary passing game. As for defence, he is trying to grab from too far away. 1 or 2 short steps to better position his body.
Both technique issues with the correct coaching and attitude should be easy to Improve

Just tell him to stand deeper, run straighter. League is a simple game really.

millersnose

Post Whore
stop deflecting

its okay to be wrong, youre pretty good at it actually
Wrong about what?

That bird won't be dropped
Of course he won't

Despite you and frenzy declaring your mutual degree of high regard for each other and agreeing that bird be dropped or whatever bird brain fart it is you are waffling with is, you are not coaches
An entire year has been invested into the development of the right side with a large amount of success in attack and it isn't going to be dismantled on the eve of the finals with one win away from the minor premiership.
The coaching staff who have access to all the data and all the plans and all permutations of the squad have settled for an entire very successful year on this squad. Perhaps you would do better as a coach with your weekly emotional droppings but the fact remains despite your belief in your own abilities you have not received an offer from the club to be appointed head coach.
You are an armchair coach, like me and frenzy and in this regard you are quite wrong.
I could imagine a proper coach examining your musings with some amusement but I doubt breaking up the most successful backline the club has had in years will enter their calculations.
Yes bird has issues as do all players but the last month of poor form has clearly been a result of the forwards being dominated.
This is not rocket science and widely recognised.

Card Shark

Immortal
He was also leader of the "well we've made the top 4 so there's no point to this last month" brigade.

Maybe he's smarter than we think..we needed a rest before the finals (mentally as much as physically) & whilst it's given us some anguish, I think we will be better for it.

Millers is bang on here. The most laughable thing about most armchair coaches is that they seem to think that the only option to arrest a sliding player is to give them a rocket and or drop them. In reality these two options are last chance saloon type deals and coaches only use them as such. Dropping players or tearing them a new one can have a million unforseen and mostly negative flow on outcomes. There are a million other options, mostly by using positive coercion tactics, that are proven to be more successful.

As a coach you only get so much capital out of players. If they don't genuinely buy into what you are trying to build over the whole squad you are shot. The best way to f**k this capital up is to be an emotional nitwit who burns players by dropping them or roasting them because you can't control your emotions. The leadership of high performance teams is possibly one of the most difficult skills for anyone to possess and it's why the truly great guys like Steve Jobs, Alex Ferguson and Richard Branson get the big money. It's more art than science, and the whole "well this guy isn't doing what I want him to do right now so lets piss him off" is reductive and braindead.

There is of course a place for dropping underperforming players. This isn't it.