What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The end of the road for 2013?

bottle

Coach
another coach would have seen the writing on the wall end of 2011 and as you said recruited in advance in preparation for what has actually happened. Dragons sat on their hands and did nothing - to the point where at the seasons start (after Stanley's injury) Price actually came out and said there was no need to recruit as he was happy with who we have in the halves.... go figure..

Patently wrong.

Steelman

Juniors
Oh, fully agree. I would say that Soward is the weak link in our halves here - problem is that our next best options this year (Drinkwater, if he continues his improvement and form from last week) is a 7 also, not sure how Fien/DW would go together. Worth a shot in a few games I guess...

Benny don't want to put a downer on ur aspirations for drinkwater playing first grade any time soon as there r concerns within the club that he is not progressing as well as expected. His ordinary defense causing most concerns at the moment. That's not to say he won't play a roll in future but by then it maybe to late for him with a couple of talented halfs coming through. And ofcouse the clubs interest in players on the market.

BennyV

Referee
Benny don't want to put a downer on ur aspirations for drinkwater playing first grade any time soon as there r concerns within the club that he is not progressing as well as expected. His ordinary defense causing most concerns at the moment. That's not to say he won't play a roll in future but by then it maybe to late for him with a couple of talented halfs coming through. And ofcouse the clubs interest in players on the market.

Lol even without any interest with on-the-market players, I didn't think Drinkwater would play much of a part in the Dragons future...between Crook and Hastings, he'll end up down the list. Was thinking more of the fact that he is the next best half we have behind our current underperforming first graders, and had a good game last week, so may end up pushing for a spot...never know..

jenninga

First Grade
Lol even without any interest with on-the-market players, I didn't think Drinkwater would play much of a part in the Dragons future...between Crook and Hastings, he'll end up down the list. Was thinking more of the fact that he is the next best half we have behind our current underperforming first graders, and had a good game last week, so may end up pushing for a spot...never know..
Ben Kusto,Beau Henry,Josh Drinkwater,young progidies not destined .What is it with young halfbacks at the Dragons,did Billy Smith see a witchdoctor and say something wrong 40 years ago when Mark Shulman took his spot.

BennyV

Referee
Ben Kusto,Beau Henry,Josh Drinkwater,young progidies not destined .What is it with young halfbacks at the Dragons,did Billy Smith see a witchdoctor and say something wrong 40 years ago when Mark Shulman took his spot.

Haha...to be fair, Drinwkater isn't one of our juniors, we bought him - so there might be hope for him yet!!!

TheRev

First Grade
It is really hard to pick which young players (halves especially) will make the leap to 1st grade, it almost feels like playing roulette.. and what chance do we have if the blokes paid to identify talent can get it wrong so often.

I think thats where the skill of someone like a Bennett or Bellamy would come into it, its more than just the talent, its being able to reach the man inside and making him the best he can be (Soward is an example under Wayne).

Steelman

Juniors
Let's not forget that Kyle Stanley is still highly regarded by the dragons coaching staff and believe me will be given every chance to prove himself at 5/8 next year . Personallying I don't rate him, but if he goes well that will push Widdop to half.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Kyle is a huge loss but if Price had him earmarked for the future then he would of given him more game time last season in the halves rather than play him at fullback (another great move). It's not as if the attack was firing? He could have moved Hornby to his original position at fullback. What too old, Patten did OK I am sure Hornby would have as well.

When Sandow left for the Eels (Don't look at him know) that was considered a huge loss. Maguire did not panick though and brought in Reynolds. He turned out fine.

You never know if you don't try them out. If you can honestly say that the guys in the lower grades will provide less effort than Soward is at the moment then the juniors are in really in bad shape. I don't think that is the case though. Quinlan looked so hungry in his first game. He was everywhere trying to get his hands on the ball. I am sure Drinkwater will be the same but we will never know.

BennyV

Referee
I agree Slippery...the youngsters may not answer our prayers, but they will bring enthusiasm and effort that is lacking from some of our first graders at the moment...

st.phil

Bench
I thought drinkwaters touches showed promise in his debut against the Knights (some people talk about him like he has not amde his debut...he has)

Chuck him in I say - as noted - the enthusiasm alone will offer more to the team than currently being provided by the odd couple

Changaman

Juniors
I was at the Penrith game on Saturday and I was very interested to see up the back in the stand during the U20s game was Steve Price with Matthew Head, deep in discussion for most of the game. I hope they were talking halves.

jenninga

First Grade
Kyle is a huge loss but if Price had him earmarked for the future then he would of given him more game time last season in the halves rather than play him at fullback (another great move). It's not as if the attack was firing? He could have moved Hornby to his original position at fullback. What too old, Patten did OK I am sure Hornby would have as well.

When Sandow left for the Eels (Don't look at him know) that was considered a huge loss. Maguire did not panick though and brought in Reynolds. He turned out fine.

You never know if you don't try them out. If you can honestly say that the guys in the lower grades will provide less effort than Soward is at the moment then the juniors are in really in bad shape. I don't think that is the case though. Quinlan looked so hungry in his first game. He was everywhere trying to get his hands on the ball. I am sure Drinkwater will be the same but we will never know.
Agree with you about Kyle,should have been given more time,reckon he would give us heaps more than Chase,he seems to have what great players always have and that is time with the ball.
Souffs,i suspect always had Reynolds in their sights who was recovering from a knee injury,and were laughing when Parra paid big money for Sandow.

TheRev

First Grade
Agree with you about Kyle,should have been given more time
I was so furious early 2012 at Price keeping him at fullback & centre, he was never going to develop into a fullback... he is only effective close to the defensive line (which he would be at half), he just isnt capable of collisions which are essential to fullback.. and centre was a bit better, but it also didnt suit him (never a longterm position for him).

He desperately needed to be in the Cutters and developing his 5/8 skills & confidence.. but nope.. Price waited until end of year when the finals were on the line and threw him in with no experience at all, 5 minutes later and it was all over.

Fast Forward to 2013 and there is an opportunity for somebody else to be working on their skills (Quinlan would be a great experiment), but once again nope.. were just wasting time again with Ryan (and Lett previously), neither of which I imagine are/were any chance of playing 1st grade.

Gazzaw

Juniors
The Stanley boys are over rated & injury prone, at such a young age. Pass them on & move on to the other options.
Give Drinkwater a go. How often in sport do players just need an opportunity to show their talent. Manly halves are a prime example

TheRev

First Grade
The Stanley boys are over rated & injury prone, at such a young age. Pass them on & move on to the other options.
Give Drinkwater a go. How often in sport do players just need an opportunity to show their talent. Manly halves are a prime example
Price simply wont take risks unless his back is to the wall and the gunman is taking aim.

jenninga

First Grade
Chase is,but the couple of times Kyle has played in the halves he has shown that he has the talent,unfortunately he is injury prone.

Gazzaw

Juniors
If Kyle wants to continue with an NRL career, I reckon he needs 12mths away from the game (after recovery) & try to let his body heal completely. Then have another go. Whether it be Dragons or somewhere else

Latest posts