What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The end of the road for 2013?

Old_Timer

Juniors
..... but I'm not prepared to sack him yet (yes I run the club :) ). ....

We have broken your resolve brick by brick Elias. We will be at your foundations soon and it will all collapse like a house of cards. You are wavering Elias. Ripe for the picking methinks. :D

Elias1983

Coach
We have broken your resolve brick by brick Elias. We will be at your foundations soon and it will all collapse like a house of cards. You are wavering Elias. Ripe for the picking methinks. :D

Oh no, I'm over my little monday blues.....The price is right!!

You will not break me OT!!!! :D

Mr Red

First Grade
the-carey-price-is-wrong_design.png
steve-price-297x202.jpg

jenninga

First Grade
Support the club or the coach. Sounds like you are only supporting the coach. Saying we need to improve the roster is more or less saying we have $hite players. Thanks for the great support.
If you read the quote properly it says improving the roster WHERE NEEDED,doesn't mean we have shite players at all.
All clubs seek to improve their roster each season.

jenninga

First Grade
You have sold your soul to the devil. :)

What, you think I am going to give you a refund? :p
OT, judging by the constant negativity and sarcasm in your posts,were you the type of fan who would go to the SCG and Kogarah to just yell abuse to whoever was playing for the Dragons or coaching for that matter.
Witnessing the 11 in a row must have given you ulcers.

Lets see Josh Reynolds (Debut at No.6 last season) and Keating were able to guide the Dogs to a Grand Final in 2012.

Saints have Soward who has won a Grand Final at 6 and Fein who has won everything possible for NZ and at club level playing at 7. He was also part of teh GF winning team on 2010. Both have a wealth of experience. You would think they would be more capable of getting to a GF than the Dogs pair, so yeah I would say Grand Final material.

Fein is 1 try assist behind Pearce, and 2 try assist behind Reynolds and Thurston. He can't be that bad.

Blind freddie knows that the style Hasler had the Dogs playing last season revolved around guys like Graham and Kasiano doing most of the first and second receiver ball playing. Keating and Reynolds were more support players and kickers.

I'd like to know if anyone else agrees with you that the Soward/Fien halves combo has us on track for a GF appearance this year. I certainly don't!

Mr Red

First Grade
Blind freddie knows that the style Hasler had the Dogs playing last season revolved around guys like Graham and Kasiano doing most of the first and second receiver ball playing. Keating and Reynolds were more support players and kickers.

I'd like to know if anyone else agrees with you that the Soward/Fien halves combo has us on track for a GF appearance this year. I certainly don't!

although i dont think Soward/Fien is an acceptable combination to challenge the good teams, i do think if we had a better coach he could get more out of the above combination.
despite our weakness in key areas in our playing roster, we are still a better team then 1 win from the bottom with the right coach...
the game plan (using the term lightly because its pretty rubbish) simply doesnt play to the strengths of the playing roster...
square peg in a round hole mentality from Price and he has persisted with this approach for 18months.

although i dont think Soward/Fien is an acceptable combination to challenge the good teams, i do think if we had a better coach he could get more out of the above combination.
despite our weakness in key areas in our playing roster, we are still a better team then 1 win from the bottom with the right coach...
the game plan (using the term lightly because its pretty rubbish) simply doesnt play to the strengths of the playing roster...
square peg in a round hole mentality from Price and he has persisted with this approach for 18months.

Fien was brought to the club for his utility value. I don't think it was ever intended for him to be the 1st choice half. From all reports Kyle Stanley trained all pre-season as the halfback. Fien's well and truly in the veteran class now - I doubt that he'd be performing any better at another club regardless of coach - possibly not even playing 1st grade at most clubs.. The days of him being NZ halfback are well and truly behind him.

Soward was allowed to play to his strengths under Bennett - he was surrounded by ball players in Boyd, Hornby and Young which meant he could concentrate more on tactical kicking, a catch and pass game, together with the occasional broken field/opportunist type role. Unfortunately I don't think Jamie's strength is calling the shots or ball playing. It's just not his go.

There's no-one else in the side currently to absorb the limitations that our halves have. How another coach could solve that issue, without recruiting, is beyond me.

TheRev

First Grade
Fien was brought to the club for his utility value. I don't think it was ever intended for him to be the 1st choice half. From all reports Kyle Stanley trained all pre-season as the halfback.
Kyle was injured during last season, he didnt train as anything.

Fien is only part of our problem, with a 5/8 doing his job we could work with Fien (ala Benny Hornby), the problem is that Soward isnt doing his job either, so in combination were stuffed.

BennyV

Referee
Kyle was injured during last season, he didnt train as anything.

Fien is only part of our problem, with a 5/8 doing his job we could work with Fien (ala Benny Hornby), the problem is that Soward isnt doing his job either, so in combination were stuffed.

Lol dont talk down Benny Hornby - sure he lost a step or two and was too structured in his final years, and but was a decent half in his time, did a lot more than what Soward is doing at the moment; at least the guy could run the ball!

TheRev

First Grade
Lol dont talk down Benny Hornby - sure he lost a step or two and was too structured in his final years, and but was a decent half in his time, did a lot more than what Soward is doing at the moment; at least the guy could run the ball!
haha im comparing Fien & Hornby, both run at the line and are very workmanlike, not a lot of pace but plenty of experience... they arent a first choice but they are a piece of the jigsaw.

What im trying to say is that if Soward was doing his job & threatening the line too, we would be fine, but hes not and so we cant cover for both of them.

BennyV

Referee
haha im comparing Fien & Hornby, both run at the line and are very workmanlike, not a lot of pace but plenty of experience... they arent a first choice but they are a piece of the jigsaw.

What im trying to say is that if Soward was doing his job & threatening the line too, we would be fine, but hes not and so we cant cover for both of them.

Oh, fully agree. I would say that Soward is the weak link in our halves here - problem is that our next best options this year (Drinkwater, if he continues his improvement and form from last week) is a 7 also, not sure how Fien/DW would go together. Worth a shot in a few games I guess...

Mr Red

First Grade
Fien was brought to the club for his utility value. I don't think it was ever intended for him to be the 1st choice half. From all reports Kyle Stanley trained all pre-season as the halfback. Fien's well and truly in the veteran class now - I doubt that he'd be performing any better at another club regardless of coach - possibly not even playing 1st grade at most clubs.. The days of him being NZ halfback are well and truly behind him.

Soward was allowed to play to his strengths under Bennett - he was surrounded by ball players in Boyd, Hornby and Young which meant he could concentrate more on tactical kicking, a catch and pass game, together with the occasional broken field/opportunist type role. Unfortunately I don't think Jamie's strength is calling the shots or ball playing. It's just not his go.

There's no-one else in the side currently to absorb the limitations that our halves have. How another coach could solve that issue, without recruiting, is beyond me.

another coach would have seen the writing on the wall end of 2011 and as you said recruited in advance in preparation for what has actually happened. Dragons sat on their hands and did nothing - to the point where at the seasons start (after Stanley's injury) Price actually came out and said there was no need to recruit as he was happy with who we have in the halves.... go figure..

Latest posts