What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Euro 2008 thread

fish eel

Immortal
The first goal was offside but the second - that was outstanding.

Either way Italy never made the most of their chances.

I dont think Italy had many clear cut chances to be honest. There was one Toni missed but the game was gone. Their other chances were the one cleared off the line, and the free kick saved, noth ironically lead to dutch goals.

If the dutch are going to play like that, I'd love to see them play Germany. I think you'd be looking at a 4-3 match. I dont think they can meet though until the final.

Dogaholic

First Grade
The first goal is a lost closer than most would believe imo. People like to see the gap from when the ball gets there or when it is already on its way.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Italy lack a midfielder with abit of pace. Most of the threat came from Grosso,Zambrotta etc. Whereas, The Netherlands have alot of attacking minded midfielders with speed like Van der Vaart,Sneijder,Robben,Van Persie.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Italy lack a midfielder with abit of pace. Most of the threat came from Grosso,Zambrotta etc. Whereas, The Netherlands have alot of attacking minded midfielders with speed like Van der Vaart,Sneijder,Robben,Van Persie.

Italy have dynamic midfielders with pace - they are sitting on the bench.

De Rossi and Aquilani.

Poor decision not to start at least one of them.

One of Cassano or Del Piero also needs to start.

fish eel

Immortal
Italy have dynamic midfielders with pace - they are sitting on the bench.

De Rossi and Aquilani.

Poor decision not to start at least one of them.

One of Cassano or Del Piero also needs to start.

I thought Del Piero made a huge difference when he came on.

Would you play him up front just sitting in behind Toni?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Depends what system we play. If he sticks to the 4-3-3 then I'd probably start Cassano who is more suited to that wide left spot.

If we go back to a 4-4-2 then I'd start Del Piero next to Toni (just behind).

4-3-3: Buffon; Zambrotta, Chellini, Barzagli, Grosso; Aquilani, Pirlo, De Rossi; Camoranesi, Toni, Cassano;

4-4-2: Buffon; Zambrotta, Chellini, Barzagli, Grosso; Camoranesi, Pirlo, De Rossi, Perrotta; Toni, Del Piero;

shiznit

Coach
gee whizz the dutch are wonderfull to watch....

i must say... it makes me laugh when people are spouting that major championships are not the same without England... imo the Dutch are probably that team....

i think back to World Cup 02 and i think the competition was worse off for not having the duth there. not just entertaining way that they play... the sight of the Orange Army is pretty awesome... they add a hell of alot more to the competition than england does imo...

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Every match day actually.

At the brilliant time of 5.30 - when everyone is either at work, or on the way home.

SBS's coverage is a joke. As is Setanta's - the picture quality is dreadful.

Only in Australia would so many people be robbed of the chance to watch one of the biggest sporting events in the world.

fish eel

Immortal
At the brilliant time of 5.30 - when everyone is either at work, or on the way home.

SBS's coverage is a joke. As is Setanta's - the picture quality is dreadful.

Only in Australia would so many people be robbed of the chance to watch one of the biggest sporting events in the world.

well setanta are just picking off various other broadcasts, for example, the German/Poland game was the BBC coverage, this monrings Italy game was ITV. The BBC coverage of the germany/poland game was pretty good IMO.

Mitcho

Juniors
That first goal the dutch scored was actually the correct ruling and wasnt offside because the rule states that a player cannot be ruled to be offside if one of the last two defenders is outside the field of play which was the case with Panucci, who was behind the goal line injured, or something along that line which was pointed out by the linesman following the game. Either way the Dutch were great this morning and hopefully can keep it up and shake off that tag of being under achievers.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
TBH it doesn't seem that anyone knows the actual rule yet.Guess we will find out later tonight after they have this meeting.

June 9 (Reuters) - A Euro 2008 controversy broke out on Monday over Ruud van Nistelrooy's first goal for Netherlands against Italy with referees and players arguing about an interpretation of the offside law.
Van Nistelrooy scored in the 26th minute of his team's 3-0 Group C win in Berne, turning a fierce drive from Wesley Sneijder past keeper Gianluigi Buffon from close range.
The Italians protested he was offside and video replays showed him in what looked a blatant offside position. Van Nistelrooy and his team mates looked nervously around expecting the linesman's flag as they celebrated the goal.
But later there was confusion about whether Italy defender Christian Panucci had played the Dutch striker onside.
Panucci fell and went off the field of play behind the byline after clashing with other players in the preceding goalmouth scramble and was lying injured on his back when the ball went into the net.
Austrian referees' commission chairman Gerhard Kapl was quoted on the Austrian Web site www.sportal.at as saying the goal was correctly awarded.
"The injured player behind the goal counts as a player on the field and therefore it was not offside," said Kapl.
Predictably, Dutch players said the goal was good and Italian players said it was not.
UEFA were unable to clear up the matter immediately and none of the experts quoted on various TV networks seemed able to point to a rule in FIFA's laws of the game which could clarify the position.
UEFA media official Richard Hurni told Reuters at the stadium: "There won't be anything official tonight. It will probably be at the briefing tomorrow."
Tournament organisers hold a daily media briefing at 0900 GMT. UEFA general secretary David Taylor was due to be at Tuesday's briefing